10 Quick Stress-Busting Tips
You Can Reduce the Level of Your Stress
Many people have times when they just feel stressed out, but can't really pinpoint any major stress factors. It's just the daily worries of life or situations that test one's patience to the max. In the medical community, stress is recognized as a major player in poor health, even though many people do not realize it. In fact, the apparent problem of stress in people has presented an opportunity in the marketplace for what is being called anti-energy drinks to de-stress people. These drinks are suppose to have the opposite effect of energy drinks. Instead of energizing a person, they are suppose to induce relaxation. Producers of these drinks are expecting to cash in for an estimated 5 billion dollars over 3 years. They are betting that people will need these drinks to calm down and upload stress. Only time will tell, but there are a few simple things almost anyone can do to help reduce stress. Try the stress-alleviating tips below.
1) Pursue only realistic goals. If you make it a habit to try to live up to unreachable goals, it will lead to frustration and disappointment, in another word, stress. The simplest example could be the amount of activity you put on a to-do list. If this is reasonable goal, it will not stress you out. If it is not, you will be inviting stress.
2) Choose to be a happier person. While it is true that there is plenty of sadness all around, it is not healthy to carry the weight of the whole world on your shoulders. So each day make an effort to accentuate the positive things in life and eliminate as much of the negative as you can.
3) Try to leave your job at the job. The same is true for leaving home at home. Extending your work day to 10, 12, 14, or even 16 hours a day has been connected with heart attacks. When the lines are blurred between work and home the stress tends to mount. That can be challenging even when you work from home. It could be helpful to literally put a sign on the office door or work area at home to signal that you have moved on to family time and vice-versa.
4) Listen to relaxing music. Some types of music are wonderful but not necessarily relaxing. Try something like classical or jazz or soft rock. You will be surprised how calming it can be.
5) Take frequent breaks of 6 to 10 minutes at work. This is not to be a slacker, but will rest your eyes while away from the task and give you a chance to stretch a bit to relieve tension. Plus, this can actually make you sharper mentally and make you more productive.
6) Get enough rest. That's an easy one to understand but not as easy for some busy people to do. Even so, it will reduce stress and might even reduce levels of cortisol, the hormone thought to be a culprit in unintentional weight gain.
7) Avoid watching too much TV, especially shows that feature violence and aggression. These programs are just not as relaxing for most people.
8) Remember to keep a sense of humor. People who take themselves way too seriously can get stressed out more easily. So lighten up!
9) As the old adage says, to take time to smell the flowers. It might sound corny, but that is exactly what we should do sometimes. It doesn't have to be flowers but do take some time to enjoy what you like each day, even if it's just 5 or 10 minutes. That's a big time stress buster.
10) Show graciousness. This tip may not sound like a stress buster, but when we take a moment to express appreciation for just a simple kindness it lessens our stress level.
It should be noted that some stress is normal and actually helps us to do our best or to have the proper response to things that require caution. The unhealthy doses of stress are what cause problems. These are just a few quick stress-reducing tips for the kind of stress that is not beneficial. Try them and see if you can reduce your stress level and relax a bit more. If you do, you will be happier and healthier for it.
These tips are for informational purposes and not intended to replace any advice from a healthcare provider.
More by this Author
Even though smoking does present definite health risks,it may be surprising to find that smokers can still benefit from better nutrition. The foods mentioned here can provide some protection from potential damage caused...
Eye strain has become such a common problem due to overuse, but it is really easy to get quick relief using these 7 simple tips. Check them out here. Relaxation for your overworked eyes could literally be just a blink...