10 Reasons Not to Lie
All of us lie sometimes, but how many of us feel guilty or wonder whether we did the right thing? Overall, most people agree that lying is a bad thing, but then again, who even decided what lying is? A little white lie is supposed to be okay, but who can tell the difference?
Well, let's be honest. There's a difference between telling your girl/boyfriend his/her favorite shirt looks fine and swearing that you never cheated on him/her. Even in this case, lying may seem like the only option, but if you lie, that leaves something on your mind that he or she doesn't know, and that can really put a toll on a relationship.
But outside of just this one case, there are many terrible consequences of lying including the loss of friends, family and respect from others.
1. The first reason one should choose not to lie is the obvious reason that it is immoral. Of course, if this doesn't mean much, then the next 9 reasons are for you.
2. Second, it can be very stressful to come up with alternate stories. Who wants to add more stress to their life?
3. By lying, you're avoiding facing the truth and you're not progressing or growing as a person.
4. What happens if you forget what you had lied about? Then you're out of luck.
5. Another reason is that by lying, you're showing disrespect to those around you. If you truly care about them, you must tell them the truth no matter how much it may hurt you. It's selfish to keep it from them.
6. If you tell the truth, you will no longer be alone in coping, and even if you get into trouble for it, in the end you'll at least learn from the mistake.
7. It takes a lot of bravery to tell the truth, so why not brave up and try it? There's no shame in being courageous.
8. If you always tell the truth, then people will love you for who you truly are and not the person you've invented.
9. Some of the most seriously embarrassing moments include being caught in a lie. Why risk being in this position?
10. And finally, you could lose everything: your friends, your husband or wife, your family, your job.
Lying simply isn't worth the risk. So why not step up and tell the truth? It may hurt, but it's almost always better in the end.
More by this Author
From past experiences of building a dye-sensitized solar cell, I have to say that there are several important things to note when considering the creation process. The first step to the experiment is the collection of...
1. One of the most important things to learn in college is time management. I know it probably seems that everyone is preaching this, but trust me. This is the EASIEST way to be successful. I have to say one of the...