10 Relaxation Techniques
- Go outside! Going for a walk or riding a bike can literally pedal your troubles away. A change of scenery helps to take your focus off worries and stress. Physical activity release endorphins and serotonin into the bloodstream which helps us to feel uplifted, sleep better and also improves memory.
- Listen to music. Studies have shown that when we are feeling stressed or anxious, music can help make us feel calm. But be careful, as it can also have the opposite effect.
- Take a bath. Run yourself and warm aromatic bath after a stressful day and your troubles will feel like they are washing away. Add lavender oil for more stress reducing effects.
- Try aromatherapy. It helps to alleviate stress and anxiety when used with calming scents. Check out your health food store for more information on oils to use for this.
- Do deep breathing exercises. This increases your oxygen intake and has a calming effect on our bodies. Try to imagine each muscle relaxing with each breath.
- Practice meditation and visualization. These help to "put you in another place" mentally. It requires a calm and quiet place. These are not easy to do when you are stressed, therefore using another technique may be more effective.
- Read. Try to read about something that is uplifting to you and possibly inspirational.
- Talk to someone. Share your worries and anxiety and make sure it is with someone you can trust to keep your confidence. Unloading can be wonderfully cathartic. Just make sure you advise the other person that you're not seeking their help to solve your problems, just looking for a shoulder to cry on.
- Learn to say No. Use this technique more often and discover less anxiety and stress.
- Be creative. Plant a new flowerbed, go visit a friend, sit outside and consciously listen to the music of the birds. Draw a picture, take a picture, or pick some flowers.
Comments 5 comments
- The Truth About Wu-Yi Tea
An honest investigation of dieter's teas, their claims and advertising, and the benefits of use.
- The 5 Best California Weekend Getaways
Looking to get away for the weekend in California? Here are my five best recommendations for California weekend getaways: Tahoe, San Diego, Hwy 1, Yosemite and Northern California hot springs.
- Spa-At-Home: Facial Mask Recipes
Recipes for my favorite at-home face masks. Each provides unique benefits, but all are quick and easy to blend up at home, with ingredients you use every day.
Do You take 2 weeks vacation each year?See results without voting
More by this Author
Mythical creatures represent many things for people, they represent an era or history in time when people had no control over their lives and had many unanswered questions. Some of these creatures were believed to have...
Animals are amazing be-ings, similar to us and yet quite different. In them, we see snippets of our own behavior and even our own looks, to some degree.
Have you ever wondering how large the largest birds are? Listed in this article are 5 of the largest birds of prey in Canada, and they are large!