10 Steps to a More Restful Sleep
Aerosmith - Dream On
Beatles - Golden Slumbers
Gary Wright - Dream Weaver
Queensryche - Silent Lucidity
If you are anything like me you could always use a little more sleep (in some cases a lot more sleep). Not getting enough sleep can lead to other problems. Lack of sleep can be caused by physical and emotional ailments and can also cause physical and emotional ailments so it is truly important to get a good nights rest every night. That being said there are several steps to take to help you to get a good nights sleep.
- Routine – Create a bedtime routine whatever it is that gets you relaxed and tired enough to fall asleep. Make a schedule and keep to it as much as possible. Of course, this is not always feasible because our schedules are so hectic and sometimes varied. These crazy schedules can put our bodies out of whack and the way to quickly to restore that is getting into some type of routine to bring about the best sleep possible; a restful sleep.
- Quiet, Dark and Comfortable – Make your room as quiet, dark and comfortable as possible. Too much noise and light is not conducive to sleeping or rest. You want your mind and body as relaxed as possible. Your bedroom should be your fortress of solitude. The more of these three attributes that are in place the better your body and mind will have a chance to wind down and get the rest that is needed.
- No Caffeine, Alcohol or Nicotine – Limiting your intake of caffeine, alcohol and nicotine before bed is important so that your body has a chance to recover and relax. Too much caffeine and nicotine really keeps the body and mind up and awake. Cutting these out hours before bedtime will help you to relax and for your body and mind to calm down before you try and sleep. If at all possible they should be eliminated from your diet or only used occasionally.
- Exercise – Exercise is a great way to help you sleep at night even if you exercise early in the morning. You should exercise early enough in the day so that you are not exercising right before you go to bed. Exercising too close to bed time could defeat the purpose because your body does not have time to relax from the exercising. If you exercise early enough in the day or a few hours before your bedtime routine that will help your body to be more rested and relaxed.
- No Worries – Leave your daily worries at the door. Clear your head from all of your burdens when you crawl into bed. Worrying only keeps you awake. Having a clear head will help you to rest better. Sometimes doing things like reading a book or listening to relaxing music can help to take away the problems of the day. Try taking a warm bath before going to bed as well, this can help to wash away the problems so that you can focus on getting a good night sleep.
- Tired – Make sure that you are tired before you crawl into bed. If you are not tired you could be fighting an uphill battle. Try doing things that help you to get tired or to relax before you actually go to bed. This will also help you to get a good night of rest. If you are not tired do not go to bed until you are.
- Get Sleepy – Try to do things that help to get you sleepy; a warm bath, a good book, some warm decaffeinated tea or warm milk. Anything that helps you to relax and to get sleepy should be utilized before bedtime so that you are able to climb into bed sleepy.
- Schedule – Try to keep a strict sleep schedule. This means going to bed at the same time and waking up at the same time each and every day. This can be very difficult but the more you keep your sleep schedule constant the more you will be able to get your body the sleep it needs.
- Sleep Only – Use your bedroom for sleep (and intimate activities) only. Try not to make your bedroom a place where you eat and work because this sends mixed messages to your body. Your room should be used for sleep so that when you go to bed your body and mind knows that it is time to relax.
- Talk to Your Doctor – Your lack of sleep or insomnia could be due to a medical condition or you might need medication to help you to get back on your sleep cycle. Your doctor can help you to determine the best methods for you. If lack of sleep is causing other problems or if you are falling asleep during the day and not getting any rest at night you should consult your doctor for further help.
I actually tried some of these steps because my sleeping pattern was completely out of sorts with the kids and an incredibly busy schedule. These steps helped me to focus more closely on getting the rest I needed and also helped me to feel more relaxed and tired when it was time to go to sleep. So if you are having problems getting enough sleep try a few or all of the steps and see if your sleeping habits improve.
More by this Author
The 70s is filled with Female Singers. From Aretha Franklin to Deborah Harry. There were so many influential women in several different music genres that have made a significant impact on today's music.
For most showering is personal time. And when you are alone in the shower you can do just about anything you want to do. But be careful because showers can be dangerous places. Here are my five things you should not...
Today many people are looking for work at home job opportunities. This can be very difficult since many work from home jobs are actually scams. How can you avoid the scams and what are real work from home jobs.