10 Ways Reiki Helps People with Anxiety
Anxiety is a terrible condition. It is something that most of us have experienced to at least a minor degree. For some people, it’s a condition that can be debilitating. The good news for those people is that there is a wide range of different treatments for anxiety. One of the treatments that some people with anxiety are turning to is Reiki. Reiki is a form of bodywork or energy work that uses a light touch on or around a person’s body to help heal them.
How does Reiki help people with anxiety? Here are ten ways that it might help:
1. Reiki is something that is done in a very relaxing environment. Sometimes people who are suffering from anxiety just need to take a moment to calm down in a quiet place. Reiki, like massage therapy, is done in a very soothing and relaxing environment. There might be quiet music playing or your Reiki practitioner might have wind chimes that you can hear as you receive your treatment. It is difficult for many of us to create these quiet places for ourselves so it helps to go to a professional healer who creates these quiet spaces for us.
2. Reiki is something that you do just for yourself. A major problem for people who are suffering from anxiety is that they feel stressed out about their inability to do all that they need to do. Often, they are focused on what needs to be done outside of themselves. However, you can’t help others until you’ve helped yourself. The time out that you take to enjoy a Reiki treatment is time that you take to do something just for you. This can re-focus you and make you feel calm enough to take on the world again.
3. Reiki puts you back into your body. Reiki is a healing treatment that involves a light touch on or around the body. This is helpful to some people who are suffering from anxiety. Anxiety is all about being in your head too much where your thoughts are whirling around and making you feel crazy. Being able to get back into your body can help calm the feelings of anxiety.
4. Reiki is spiritual. Many people agree that some form of spirituality is good for people who are suffering from anxiety and other mental health issues. It helps put things in perspective, provides hope and relieves some stress. Many people don’t feel comfortable with organized religion but can accept some of the spiritual benefits of a healing practice such as Reiki.
5. Your Reiki practitioner is kind to you. Like other healers, Reiki practitioners are very kind and soothing people. They are there because they want to make you feel better. Sometimes what we need when we are anxious is just someone who is there for us, devoted to taking care of us so that we can let go for a moment and not worry about taking care of ourselves. Having a healer in our lives is a very healthy way to get someone to take care of us when we need that type of a break.
6. You are connecting to another person. Many people with anxiety struggle to feel connected to other people in their lives. They may feel like people don’t understand them or they may be embarrassed to discuss what is going on with them because of their anxiety. These people may find that seeing a Reiki practitioner is healing in the sense that it allows them to be physically present and connected to another person without all of the stress that is involved in a lot of other human connections.
7. You are consciously doing something to heal yourself. One of the main things that people with anxiety learn when they get psychological treatment is that they must change their behaviors if they want their anxiety to go away. They simply can’t go on doing the same things and thinking the same thought patterns and expecting the problem to solve itself. Reiki is one first step that you can take to make a conscious change in your life. You might not be able to change all of your other habits at once but you can certainly make a conscious choice to attempt to change by healing yourself in this way. Sometimes just that first step is all that it takes to create other healthy changes in your body.
8. Reiki provides a time out. Ultimately, what most people need when they are suffering from anxiety is a time out away from everything that is causing them that high level of stress. Reiki is a time out that you give yourself.
9. Reiki may provide healing energy to your body that can ease anxiety. The purpose of Reiki is to redirect the flow of energy in the body in order to heal you. People who believe in the power of Reiki say that the practitioner helps to change energy flow and that the energy will find where it really needs to be in the body. It is possible that this is what causes Reiki to be healing to some people with anxiety.
10. Reiki may detoxify the body. Another belief among Reiki practitioners is that this form of healing is capable of removing toxins from the body. It takes negative energy out of the body and detoxifies you. A detoxified body will be less anxious.
Reiki can be very helpful to people suffering from anxiety. Of course, there are different things that help different people. You may need medication and / or psychotherapy to fully treat your anxiety. However, Reiki can still be beneficial to you as a supplement to these other treatments.
- Whole Body Reiki Treatment - Basic Reiki Positions
There are different positions of Reiki treatment, and depending on what your Reiki practitioner feels is best for you, you may receive a full body session or just a session focusing on one or two positions....
- Reiki is Universal Love, Light and Energy
Reiki Peace Grid placed in Jerusalem Reiki (Ray-kee) is an ancient healing art that is a gentle, non-invasive, natural treatment method. Its origins are ancient Tibetan; it was rediscovered in the late 1800s...
- Anti-Anxiety Diet
If you suffer from anxiety and panic attacks there are certain foods that you can eat that can help naturally calm your condition. If incorporated into your weekly meals you can create your own customized...
- 10 Ways to Calm Down When Anxiety Strikes
Anxiety is a terrible feeling. Your heart races. Your mind races even faster. You feel like all of the problems that have been hovering at the back of your mind suddenly need to be dealt with all at once. You...
- How To Control Anxiety, An Expert's Guide
The title says it all. Or - more to the point one word in the title says it all: CONTROL. You see, the need to have this very thing (control) is part of the problem when it comes to anxiety. Anxiety...
More by this Author
When you think about Chinese medicine, what things come to mind? Most people think specifically about only one area of Chinese medicine, usually either herbal cures or acupuncture. That is because these are the...
1. Fresh onion or garlic2. Clove oil3. Ice or heat4. Liquor5. Extracts6. Warm salt water7. Salt and pepper8. Wheatgrass9. Limes and lemons10. Tea bags I am convinced that there is no pain worse than tooth pain. There...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.