10 Ways to Make Your Diet Healthier
You want to eat a healthy diet. Maybe this is because you want to lose weight. Maybe it is because you want to feel better. Maybe it’s because you’re getting older and you know that learning to eat healthy know will help prolong your life and improve its quality over time. It doesn’t really matter what the reason is that you want to eat a healthier diet. What matters is that you get started.
Unfortunately, a lot of people have trouble starting on the track to a healthier diet. They feel like they need to speak with a doctor or read a lot of books about how to eat healthy. The truth of the matter is that it’s not that difficult to eat healthy. It may be tough to change your habits but the new habits that you need to adopt for a healthier diet are not that tough to learn.
Here are ten ways to get started with making your diet healthier:
1. Stop eating high fructose corn syrup. Ultimately you are probably going to want to give up most forms of sugar since sugar really isn’t a part of a healthy diet. However, not all sugars are as bad for you as some sugars are. One of the unhealthiest forms of sugar is high fructose corn syrup. Start your healthy diet right by choosing to give up this bad product. If it is present in a food that you eat then it’s probably listed among the first few ingredients on the label. Check the labels of your food and put away anything that has this ingredient on the list.
2. Look for bright colors in the produce section of your grocery store. One of the most important parts of a healthy diet is that you start to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. You want to eat them fresh rather than canned or frozen if that’s possible. To choose the right vegetables for a healthy diet, you want to look for bright colors. Greens, yellows and oranges are the ideal colors of a healthy diet. Sure, you could learn about the importance of specific citrus fruits or cruciferous vegetables. However, if you want to keep things simple, just remember that a healthy diet includes these bright colors in natural foods.
3. Learn to get your fiber. A healthy diet includes a decent amount of fiber every single day. You can get your fiber from cereals as well as from a variety of different whole grains. You can also get fiber from legumes. You want to make sure that you start purchasing a large number of these products. Most of them keep well over time so go ahead and buy them in bulk. If you only learn a few new recipes for changing your diet then you want them to be recipes that include fiber.
4. Reduce your intake of meat. You might not feel like it’s possible for you to become a vegetarian. That’s okay; you don’t have to. However, you do want to cut back on your intake of meat. In particular, you want to reduce your red meat intake. You also want to reduce the amount of animal fat that you consume. For example, you might want to replace your red meat with chicken. Make sure that it’s skinless chicken so that you get the least amount of fat. If you feel like you need to eat red meat then look for lean cuts. The thing about a healthy diet is that it has to be something that you can stick to so make these changes in moderation in a way that is right for you.
5. Your body needs calcium but you don’t want to overdo the dairy. You want to lower your intake of dairy as you begin to eat a healthier diet. However, you don’t want to limit it so much that you fail to get enough calcium since calcium is an important part of a healthy diet. How do you do this? Start drinking skim milk or low fat milk instead of whole milk. The same goes for your favorite cheeses. Alternatively, give up dairy and take a calcium supplement.
6. Remember that oil is better than butter. It’s hard to figure out which types of foods are right and which ones aren’t isn’t it? At the store, you might look at butter and margarine and try to figure out what’s better for you. The thing to remember to keep this simple is that oil is better than butter. Yes, there are certain types of stick butter that are better than others. Yes, there are certain types of oil that will be better than others (olive oils is a healthy favorite). However, to keep it simple, just start using oils instead of butter at least to get started.
7. Drink water. One of the best ways to start eating healthier is simply to replace all of the drinks that you normally consume with water. Alcohol, coffee, soda and even juice can be replaced with water to make your diet healthier. If you can’t stand drinking only water throughout the day, start drinking green or herbal tea instead of other drinks. Juice should always bee fresh squeezed. Avoid alcohol as much as possible.
8. Go nuts. Nuts are one of the healthiest snack foods out there. There are many different types of nuts to choose from. Learn to start eating these on a regular basis. Ideally, you will replace other snacks with nuts.
9. Eat less. Ultimately, a healthy diet doesn’t just mean eating the right foods. It means being sensible about how you eat. Choose to eat smaller portions of all foods. Eat several times per day instead of eating two or three big meals but keep all portions small. This is the healthy way to diet.
10. Be kind to yourself. Finally, it’s important that you adopt the right attitude to eating a healthier diet. Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you slip up, forgive yourself and get started again. It’s okay. A healthy diet is something that you learn over time. Every little bit helps. The easier you are on yourself about it, the easier it is going to be to make real changes.
More by this Author
I was a weird little kid. It's okay, I'm the first to admit it. I was saying my first words before I was six months old. I was more likely to take care of my younger siblings than to go out and play. And I liked...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE162
We all know that if we want to lose weight than we have to burn off more calories than we take in. It’s a simple equation that most of us can understand. Getting ourselves to actually do the work necessary to burn...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.