10 signs and symptoms of PreMenstrual Syndrome
If you want to scare a man off simply mention Premenstrual Syndrome and you will get him running to the hills. PMS affects most women at some point during their life with the symptoms worsening during times of hormonal change. Different symptoms and their intensity may vary from cycle to cycle.
Here are some of the most common signs and symptoms of PMS.
- Sore Breasts - This is when the breasts feel fuller, larger and maybe even sensitive, hard and sore. This normally happens a few days before menstruation. During these days a woman may need a larger sized bra.
- Mood swings - One minute a woman is laughing and the next she is crying! Also to be expected, are irrational outbursts of emotion like getting too angry at minor issues. Mood swings may also be accompanied by depressed negative feelings, anxiety and worrying.
- Headaches - Hormonal change before menstruation may also trigger headaches. Headaches experienced may be mild or could even turn into migraines.
- Food Cravings - Wondering were all the chocolate in the house is going? Could be its being devoured by a premenstrual woman! Food cravings especially for sweet or salty foods are very normal!
- Bloating - Bloating feels horrible especially when coupled with water retention, both of which are common symptoms of pms.
- Fatigue - Extreme tiredness, dark circles and loss of energy are all associated with the pre menstrual phase. Furthermore, insomnia is also a common PMS symptom so no wonder a woman may appear totally zonked out during this phase!
- Heart Palpitations - Although this is not one of the most common PMS symptom, it does affect some women. Women who are effected by this symptom normally feel very worried about this and it may take a few cycles until they realize that it is associated with PMS.
- Painful Joints - This kind of pms symptom sometimes feels like the joint pain associated with the flu.
- Changes in Bowel habits - Bowel movements may be altered during the PMS stage. During PMS women are more likely to experience loose stools.
- Acne - Pre existing acne may worsen during PMS while a person with a clear face may experience a few spots during the PMS phase.
More by this Author
A step by step guide with images of how to plant and use vetches as Christmas decorations. This is the Maltese tradition of gulbiena.
Clothes Swapping is an excellent way to recycle unwanted clothing and help the environment while keeping your pocket happy! Find out how you can turn this swap into a business venture!
The bread maker can come in handy to get rid of those ripe bananas. Here is a delicious healthy banana bread recipe.