11 Best In Home Remedies for Sinus Infections: Colloidal Silver, Neti pot, Apple Cider Vinegar and More
Sinusitis is a condition characterized by recurring sinus infections. It is currently the most common infectious condition in the U.S. affecting more than over 30 million people annually. Symptoms resemble those of a cold, accept they can last much longer, ranging from several months to several years. Typical symptoms include post nasal drip, stuffy nose, runny nose, fever, aching in upper teeth, sore throat, pain or pressure in the cheeks, eyes or forehead, and symptoms that seem to improve and then get worse again.
The most common causes of sinusitis include allergies attacks, chemical fumes, pollution, smoking, temperature changes, viral or bacterial infections and excessive use of nasal decongestant sprays.
The best method of prevention is to avoid these irritants as much as possible. Try to avoid substances that trigger allergies such as foods, pollens and animals. Chemical irritants and tobacco smoke are particularly harmful because they cause further swelling of the mucus membranes. A strong immune system will prevent sinusitis. Avoid unhealthy foods such as fast foods, processed and refined foods and foods void of nutrients. A health diet should be rich in fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds.
Here are the 14 best home remedies for sinus infections:
1) Neti-pots - one of the most effective natural treatments for sinusitis. The pot is filled with non-iodized salt (preferably sea salt) and then used to cleanse sinuses of contaminants.
2) Apple Cider Vinegar - many people have found great success using apple cider vinegar to treat sinus infections. It is loaded with nutrients including quercetin which synergistically work together to boost the immune system, giving the body a greater capacity to neutralize toxins.
3) Colloidal silver - a natural antibiotic effective at fighting infections. It can also be used to irrigate sinus cavaties. A squirt bottle is an effective way to get a good amount into nasal passages.
4) Aromatherapy oils - Tea tree and eucalyptus oil ease inflammation and help clear congestion from nasal passages. Add a few drops to bowl of steaming water. Place a towel over your head a take deep breaths. The oils are available together as rubs used to loosen congestion and open up airways.
5) Licorice root - is an effective anti-inflammatory and stimulates the immune system to fight infections.
6) Garlic - has powerful anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties which will help to shorten the duration of infections.
7) Peppermint - is useful at slowing the production of mucus. It can be breathed from a steam bowl or consumed as a tea.
8) Ginger - is effective as an anti-inflammatory and as a pain reliever for sinus headaches and other types of pain.
9) Lemon balm - is effective as a antibacterial and antiviral agent. Can be consumed as a tea and or used as a gargle to soothe sore throat.
10) Vitamin C and zinc combinations - is effective at boosting the immune system and shortening the duration of colds that lead to sinus infections.
11) Purified water - drink at least 8 eight ounces glasses of water per day to keep trapped mucus fluid which will limit bacteria growth.
More by this Author
The two approaches to treating cancer sores are with the use of chemicals which only mask the problem and the natural approach which can cure cancer sores permanently.
A diet high in processed and refined foods as well as food sensitivities have been directly linked to the development of scalp scales and crust flakes. Eliminating these foods and adding key nutrients to the diet will...
Excess mucus or phlegm can be caused more than a cold or the flu. Many times it is the result of poor dietary choices, food allergies or cigarette smoking. There are a number of natural ways to effectively treat and...