HowTo Raise Your Good Cholesterol (HDL)
When was the last time you had your cholesterol checked?See results without voting
Some foods that increase your HDL
Good Cholesterol (HDL)
We've always heard how important it is to keep your cholesterol low to ward off heart attacks and strokes, but not much was said on how important it is to raise yout HDL through diet. For the record; LDL is bad cholesterol and HDL is good cholesterol. The average range of HDL is at least 35-40 mg/DL. The HDL molecule is very complex that consists of proteins, lipids and cholesterol. What takes place in our bodies is the HDL molecule scours the walls of blood vessels, and cleans out excess cholesterol of the bad kind (LDL). The higher the HDL is, the more effective and the more cholesterol is removed from the body. Remember HDL protects your heart.
The only way to determine cholesterol levels is through blood tests, which I have done as part of my physical every year. I am fortunate enough to have a HDL level of about 85, so I am thrilled.
Here are very easy and useful tips to make a part of your life to raise and keep HDL levels high.
1. Cook with olive oil as much as possible and use it in salad dressing mixed with your favorite vinegar. It is a great source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
2. Increase your fiber intake. Sources are legumes, fruits, cereals, vegetables, and whole grain breads.
3. Boost up your intake of chromium. Good sources of foods are, Brewer's yeast, apples with skins, fish and other seafoods. Also include liver, prunes, mushrooms and nuts.
4. Eat lots of walnuts. They are a superfood.
5. Drink orange juice According to a Canadian study, just 3 glasses per day can raise HDL by 21%.
6. Eat more fish, at least 3 servings a week. Omega-3 fatty acids have been documented to raise HDL, hands down.
7. If you drink alcohol, do it in moderation.
8. Garlic, garlic garlic. Need I say more?
9. Eat guava fruit. Studies have shown that adding guava to your diet increases HDL on average by 8 percent.
10. Make exercise a part of your life.
11. Donate blood, because doing so boosts the concentration of HDL, according to a South African Study.
12. Drop those pounds if you are overweight.
13. Give up smoking.
14. Eat dark chocolate because it slows LDL oxidation by about 8% and at the same time lifts HDL levels about 4%.
15. Eat foods high in calcium. In a New Zealand study, women taking Calcium citrate supplements raised their HDL by a good 7%. Low fat dairy and yogurt are great food sources for calcium.
- Good Cholesterol and Tips for Reducing Cholesterol
Good Cholesterol To stay within your cholesterol normal range limits, make sure that you continue on your new healthy lifestyle you selected to keep it in the normal range. As you advance in years, keeping...
- Understanding HDL, the Good Cholesterol
HDLs truly deserve the name “good cholesterol.” These particles don’t carry cholesterol into your arteries for the simple reason that they’re so compact and dense that they can’t squeeze through the...
- How to increase your good cholesterol
Cholesterol is lipid present only in animal tissues such as meat, egg yolk, and dairy products. It can exist in free form or can be esterified with a fatty acid. Cholesterol per se is not good or bad. The so...
More by this Author
For a family and friends Holiday party, here are some recipes for three drinks that even children can have. Recipe #1 Rosy Holiday Punch This drink, made in a punch bowl is a mixture of sweet and tart fruit...
Peroxide can be used in countless ways for everything from removing stains from clothing to whitening teeth. The price and uses can't be beat. Peroxide is a must have for every household.
I love to cook for my family and after so many years doing it, I just try to keep it simple most times.Try these delicious recipes and you'll won't be disappointed.