21 Natural Tips To Start Lactation After Childbirth
- During pregnancy and after childbirth, keep yourself well hydrated by drinking at least 6 liters of fluids per day. Be it milk, water, or juices.
- Good to have milk twice or thrice a day at home or in the office.
- You can eat bread with milk.
- Natural herbs like soaked Methi eaten with curd or Methi leaves curry helps in boosting lactation.
- Most important is to take some good protein supplement twice a day, as this is what is essential for good milk production.
- In lactation, supply is always dependent on the demand, so try to get your baby suckle as much as possible. It will send signals to your brain and release hormones essential for providing milk to the kid.
- Physical bonding with the kid also plays an important psychological role to start lactation. It will take time for the kid to learn latching, which is due to nipple confusion but never lose hope as your will be able to start lactating in very less time.
- A simple advice is to invest in a good breast pump and try pumping milk every 1 to 1.5 hours and store it and you can give your baby that milk in a bottle instead of leaving him/her hungry till he/she gets that knack of latching. There are very good brands available which resemble real baby sucking.
- Mother’s mood affects milk supply. If you are depressed, it is not going to do good for your baby. Think positive. Be confident. You can do it. It will be just a matter of sometime. Once your flow is well established, there would not be any problem.
- As mentioned above natural herbs like fenugreek leaves (methi) and seeds are proven to increase the milk supply after childbirth. Also, a natural galactagogue herb Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) is known to be very helpful in increasing milk supply. Shatavari is commercially available as Satavarex granules manufactured by Zandu in India.
- Mother needs to be very determined and emotionally very strong.
- Don’t worry as even a few days old babies sometimes just refuse to suck. Don’t give up.
- During pregnancy and childbirth, have a healthy and balanced diet with lots of nutrition including proteins, calcium, and iron in the diet with loads of water and lots of confidence. This will help in the time when you need to start lactating.
- A true fact about breast-feeding and starting lactation after childbirth is that even if the baby does not feed from the breast, a little exposure is always better. Just a little licking and if not, putting some of baby's saliva once a day before pumping is the best way to start producing milk naturally. This is because the breast milk will change its constituents according to the need of the child by recognizing the saliva and will also add any antibodies that the child needs at that present time.
- A natural remedy for increasing lactation is sooji kheer. Just half a cup every day and it will help you a lot.
- Another natural tip is to eat fenugreek dish. Just a couple spoons daily.
- If you don’t find fenugreek leaves, then you can start drinking fenugreek tea.
- Have a pre-natal multivitamin tablet after consulting with your neonatologist.
- Also, moms having difficulty with breast feeding can try Mother’s Horlicks.
- Another natural tip to start lactation is trying moong dal plus jaggery, steam it and mash and add milk and a little cardamom (elaichi) seeds.
- As recommended above, good protein intake is a must for good lactation and food supplements like Mother’s Horlicks, Protinex, etc. are excellent in this aspect.
More by this Author
Your first month of pregnancy can be determined when your ovulation period lasts. By knowing the date of your last period, you can estimate the gestational age and date of delivery. First Month of Pregnancy: As you...
Getting pregnant with irregular periods is not very easy but not impossible at the same time. The first thing which comes in everyone’s mind who is reading this topic is that a women can get pregnant easily if she...
Are you afraid of driving a standard transmission car? If yes then read this article that I have written especially for beginners who want to kick start driving a standard transmission car. I have provided step by step...