25 Reasons to Lose Weight
We all know when we need to lose weight and what the items are that improve if we do. However, I'm hoping that I may say it to you in a different way that makes you think. Maybe something will spark at the right moment that leads you down a path to finally achieving your weight loss goals.
For me, I've had moments of inspiration many times over the years. That's what most of us yo-yo dieters do. Then, one day, some of us find the right thing, at the right time, and are finally fed up enough or scared enough to finally do it.
Why wait until your health is suffering or you've wasted decades of your life? Lose the weight now and begin enjoying your life as a healthy fit person. I've made that commitment.
25 Good Reasons to Lose That Weight Once and For All
1. Improve Overall Health-Although you’d think this would be the top reason people chose to lose weight, I think many see it as a side benefit. It’s often the desire to look good that overrides the desire to be healthier.
2. Reduce risk factors for heart disease and diabetes-Everyone knows that those additional pounds, particularly in the mid-section increase one’s risk for life-threatening diseases. If you have genetic factors working against you already, why add to it with something you can control?
3. Increase longevity-If you knew eating better now could give you an extra year or two on your life, why wouldn’t you want to eat better?
4. Improve the quality of your life-Life can be an incredible experience, no matter what size you are, but just imagine all the extra things you can experience if you lose weight. Think about all of the activities that you shy away from because you are uncomfortable with your body or simply unable to do them.
5. Improve endurance and stamina-Has walking or climbing stairs become something that seems like more work than you’re willing to go through? Losing weight can help you regain your stamina and endurance so that you can do more without getting tired or winded.
6. Improve self-esteem-even losing just 10% of your body weight can improve how you feel about yourself. Little successes lead to bigger successes. Make small goals and congratulate yourself when you achieve them. Keep setting the bar higher. Challenge yourself.
7. Increased motivation-when you begin to see improvements in your health and self-esteem you become more motivated to tackle bigger and better things. This motivation gains momentum and has a snowball effect.
8. Become more attractive to the opposite sex-whether you’re single or married, who doesn’t want to feel like the opposite sex finds them attractive? I’m not saying overweight people aren’t attractive, but it all depends on how they feel about themselves. If you feel good about how you look, others will notice that too.
9. Improved sex life-Losing weight can increase your sexual appetite and desire. A thinner physique allows for a wider range of sexual positions and the ability to wear a bigger range of sexy and seductive outfits.
10. Feel sexier in your clothes-when you feel good about your body, you feel sexier and buy clothing that accentuates your shapelier figure.
Someone Who Is Comfortable in Her Skin....You Go Girl!
11. Look better in your clothes-A thinner body lends itself to more clothing options and clothes tend to hang better on a fit body. Even a few extra pounds can make a garment bunch or bind.
12. Fit into clothes you haven’t been able to wear-If you’ve been a yo-yo dieter most of your life you probably have a closet full of great clothes in a variety of sizes. Losing a few pounds could allow you to fit into some outfits you haven’t been able to wear in awhile.
13. An excuse to buy new clothes-Sometimes rewarding yourself with a few new pieces of clothing can be a great way to motivate you to continue on your weight loss goals. If you’re still losing don’t invest too much money into new clothes just yet, but a few items can really help you.
14. No longer worry about fitting into tight places-When you’re heavy, booths at restaurants, seats at theaters and on planes, and seats on roller coaster rides can be places you avoid due to your inability to fit. Finding out you can’t find, or worse yet, getting stuck, can be embarrassing and humiliating.
15. No longer avoiding situations that as a heavier person make you uncomfortable-Heavier people tend to like to blend in and not draw too much attention to themselves. This can sometimes cause them to avoid situations such as test driving a car, asking for help or directions, going swimming, or public speaking.
16. Prove to yourself that you can do it (Side benefit, proving it to others)-If losing weight is something you’ve failed at in the past, it can be something that is a constant reminder of that failure. Proving to yourself that you are worth it and that you can do it can generate benefits beyond the pounds lost. Sometimes, having something to prove to others can be motivating, but it shouldn’t be the main reason you lose weight. Losing for the “wrong” reasons can be detrimental in the long term.
17. Better insurance rates-weight is a factor in the mortality and morbidity tables used by insurance companies to calculate your rates for insurance.
18. Fewer embarrassing moments in public-Even thin and fit people experience embarrassing moments, but they rarely have trouble fitting or break items.
19. Take up hobbies you didn’t dare try as an overweight person-Being overweight often keeps people from trying hobbies like hang gliding, competitive sports, dancing and swimming.
20. Seek employment in a position you weren’t comfortable in before-Many positions require a thinner physique such as an airline stewardess. Having a new thinner body can open new employment opportunities for you.
21. Enjoy physical activities with your friends and/or family more-Running and having fun in outdoor activities with your family is so much easier when you’re not carrying extra weight around. You can frolic on the playground, go hiking, and play chase with the family.
22. Not having to keep making this same New Year’s resolution-Just think, once you lose the weight, you no longer have “Lose weight” to put on your New Year’s Resolutions. It’s a goal you can check off. What a great feeling of accomplishment.
23. If you’re on medication, sometimes losing weight can help you reduce or eliminate the need for medication. Many conditions requiring prescription medication, and even over-the-counter meds, can be traced back to the patient carrying around too much weight. Losing weight often reduces the need for these medications or can sometimes reverse the effects so that they are no longer needed. This can be very liberating and can save you money.
24. You may become the inspiration for someone else to lose weight and improve their life. Most people know at least one overweight person in their life. You just may be the inspiration to make a life-altering change for them. If you have someone you’d like to help lose weight, try losing weight yourself and become a great example for them. If you have kids, let them see you accomplish your goal and let them reap the lessons you learn from the experience.
25. Improved relationships-When you feel better about yourself, your outlook on life changes and you radiate a more positive attitude. This attitude will help to improve your relationships at home and at work.
More Weightloss-Related Hubs by KCC Big Country
- Finally Thin! by Kim Bensen-A Review
I've always loved a good success story and I recently ran across "Finally Thin!"by Kim Bensen. It's the story of she lost over 200 pounds between October 2001 and October 2003 and has successfully kept it off...
More by this Author
How do you go on after losing a child? aving lost a son myself, I understand the incredible pain and grief and the struggle it can be. See what others who share the same grief have to say.
Is poison ivy contagious? Yes and no. It depends. I'll explain. Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are plants that contain a sticky resin-like sap, or oil, called urushiol. Every part of the plant has this oil...
A fascinating look at Beatrice Wood, the woman James Cameron modeled Rose Dewitt Bukater Calvert after in the movie "Titanic".