Low Fat Low Calorie Chilli Con Carne Recipe
A very low fat, low calorie but high on flavor Chilli con Carne for those watching their weight or dieting.
..... for lots more fabulous recipes follow me on Pinterest
High On Flavour, Low On Calories
This is a perfect meal for anyone who is on a diet or just wants to cut their calorie intake, I have served this to countless people and no-one ever believes that it is low on fat, approximately 10g per person and low on calories; 300 calories per serving.
This recipe will happily feed a family of four and is one of our favourites.
Served with either a baked potato or plain boiled rice and a green salad it makes an excellent family dinner or when hungry friends arrive.
1 tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
1 large Organic White Onion, finely chopped
1 Organic Green Pepper, finely chopped
100g Organic Mushrooms, sliced
12 oz / 325g Lean Steak Minced Beef
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
300 ml / ½ pt of Beef Stock
2 tablespoons of Tomato Puree
1-2 tablespoons of Cumin Powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce (optional)
1 Green Chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, or Chilli Powder to taste
400g can of Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
400g can of Chopped Tomatoes
Salt and Black Pepper
And here is another easy recipe, it's best to get all the ingredients ready in advance so that you don't forget anything when you're adding everything at the end.
Tip: Add the Chilli Powder a little at a time, and re-check halfway through to add more if you need to. I have been known to put too much Chilli in and although the rest of the family loved it, I had to settle for beans on toast, I was not a happy chicken.
- Heat the tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan.
- Add the onion and green pepper and stir-fry until soft. If your pan isn't as non-stick as mine and the veggies start to stick do not add more oil but add a tablespoon of water instead, no calories and works just as well.
- Add the clove of crushed garlic.
- Add the 325g of minced beef and stir till brown.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and stir into the mixture. Please don't put the mushrooms in at the same time as the onion and pepper because they will soak up all the oil and it will start to burn.
- Now add all the rest of the ingredients.
- Give the Chilli a good stir, pop on a lid, and simmer for 30 minutes or more, checking on it occasionally and giving it another stir.
- Check the heat of the Chilli halfway through and add more chilli powder if you want.
Jamie Oliver's Easy Way to Cook Rice
Over Christmas 2010 I was watching Jamie Oliver and he taught me a new way of cooking rice, I am now a devotee of this method and it has made rice making so much easier and cleaner for me.
You don't need any special rice cookers, just a shallow pot that has a lid and you're all fixed.
This amount serves 4 people, but it's easy to change the amount of rice, just remember 1 cup of rice = 2 cups of water.
- Sprinkle some salt in the bottom of your pan.
- Add 1½ cups of rice.
- Add 3 cups of boiling water.
- Give it a stir and pop the lid on.
- Bring to the boil for 7 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, leave the lid on, and leave for 14 minutes.
And there you have it perfect rice, no need to rinse, no boiling water to pour away, just whizz a fork through it and you have perfect fluffy rice to serve with your Chilli - thank you Jamie x
Fancy making this Chilli extra special? My favourite addition to this recipe is baby corn on the cob cut into little 1cm rounds, the sauce sinks in-between all the little kernels of corn and the crunchy texture is brilliant in the Chilli.
And my all-time favourite pan for making perfect rice?? It's this one below, I just wish I could buy it in lots of different colours, they do a light blue and a lime green now too, but oh that red is just calling me.
More by this Author
Day Four of the Healthy Eating Plan with recipe for Slow Roasted Lamb.
Day Eight of the Healthy Eating Plan with recipe for Sticky Pork Ribs.
Photographs and responses to requests for help from the Graves, Burial Records and Photographs Hubpage Surnames A-F
No comments yet.