5 Effective Treatments To Beat Nausea And Vomiting
Nausea And Vomiting - Definition & Symptoms
Nausea (a feeling of sickness) and vomiting are symptoms of various disorders, which may include indigestion, food poisoning, gallstones, liver disease, pancreatitis, hiatus hernia, excessive food intake, excessive alcohol intake, migraine, inner ear infection, or gastroenteritis. Hormonal changes may also be the cause of nausea and vomiting, such as in pregnancy, menstruation, travel, or by certain sights & smells. Nausea may be accompanied by feelings of dizziness or faintness. Vomiting is usually preceded by nausea, and may be accompanied by excessive salivation, sweating, and a slowing of the heart rate.
If you are experiencing a constant feeling of nausea with no vomiting, but with abdominal pain and headache, it is most likely due to stress or anxiety.
If nausea or vomiting are accompanied by severe pain that lasts longer than ONE HOUR, or if there are blood stains in your vomit, seek urgent medical advice!
It is one thing to be proactive in treating yourself when you can, but sometimes it is best to seek professional care.
1. HERBALISM Remedies
- Drinking ginger tea or chewing a piece of crystallized ginger will warm the stomach and reduce cold nausea [This can be very effective in relieving sickness in pregnancy or during travel]
- In cases of persistent nausea, it may indicate liver trouble... seek advice... Dandelion root has been known to effectively reduce liver trouble. Take decoction or coffee made of dandelion root
2. VITAMINS & MINERALS Remedies
- For travel sickness or morning sickness, you can take some vitamin B6! [Consult your doctor first for those experiencing morning sickness]
- In children, give half-doses of the vitamin B6
3. FLOWER ESSENCES Remedies
- "Rescue Remedy" or "Emergency Essence" will be useful for prolonged or distressing vomiting
- These flower essence remedies will help reduce panic and calm the body [RESCUE REMEDY is also a personal favorite remedy to relieve stress & anxiety related nausea]
4. HOMEOPATHY Remedies
- When you feel nauseous at the thought or smell of food, but feel better for eating, homeopaths suggest Sepia, made from cuttlefish ink
- When nausea is made better by vomiting and may be caused by overindulgence, homeopaths suggest Nux Vomica
- When there is excessive salivation and a history of anemia, homeopaths suggest Lactic Acid
- For nausea and vomiting relieved by uncovering the abdomen, homeopaths suggest Tabacum
- When nausea and vomiting are accompanied by diarrhea, and when symptoms are worse between midnight & 2am, homeopaths suggest Arsenicum
- For cravings for cold water, which is then vomited, with burning pains in the stomach and blood in the vomit, homeopaths suggest Phosphorus
- For vomiting after rich, fatty food, with some tearfulness, homeopaths sugest Pulsatilla
- When vomiting follows a head injury, homeopaths suggest Arnica
- When vomiting and severe pain last for more than an hour and are NOT relieved by vomiting, homeopaths suggest Aconite
5. CHINESE HERBALISM Remedies
- Treatment would be aimed at ascending stomach qi, and useful herbs include root ginger, Ren Dan, Shen Chu Cha, Xiang Sha Yang Wei Pian, or Bu Zhong Yi Qi Wan
- Er Chen Wan pills - a classic formula to dissolve Phlegm, resolve Spleen Damp and harmonize the center (digestive organs), as well as symptoms brought on by food retention in the stomach
Which treatment is most effective for you in relieving nausea and vomiting symptoms?See results without voting
A Funny Pepto-Bismol Music Video :)
Does Pepto-Bismol work for you?See results without voting
More by this Author
Some may think that choosing the Hot 100 songs is no big deal... "If people like a song more than most others, it should make the list; it's as simple as that!" Not quite. There is a lot that is involved in...
The death of a friend is one of the biggest / most challenging losses one can experience in life. When a friend dies, it can be extremely difficult to transition from the mourning process into living the rest of your...
Christina And Ali: The Singing Sisters on America's Got Talent, 2010 "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal." ~ Henry Ford Those who have been watching...