5 Natural Home Remedies for Athlete's Foot
What is Athlete's Foot?
Athlete's foot is a type of rash located on the foot or both feet. Athlete's foot is caused by a fungus that grows on or in the top layer of skin. This fungi typically grows best in warm and damp locations such as between the toes.
Athlete's foot is contagious. You can get it from sharing shoes, showering in public showers without shoes, or walking barefoot in public places that may harbor athlete's foot.
There are three different types of Athletes foot. Between the three almost every part of your foot can be infected, and in severe cases the toe nails can become infected. This can lead to cracking, pealing, discoloration, or even the nail coming off. However the most common part of the foot to become infected with this fungus is between the toes.
Symptoms of Athlete's Foot
With all the symptoms of athlet's foot you would think everyone who had it would know. Unfortunately many suffer from this condition and have no idea. Some even think the symptoms are normal parts of age, working on their feet, or just from walking around bare foot. While some things can cause it the symptoms should never be taken as normal. I want bore you with the details of what Athlete's foot is since if you are here you probably already know what it is. However here are the symptoms if you are unsure.
Painful cracks between and on the bottom of the toes. Peeling blisters and skin. Toenails become yellow. Finally a warm or itchy feeling may be present.
Natural Home Remedies For Athlete's Foot
- Apple Cider vinegar has been one of the most used natural remedies for athlete's foot (and really almost all other illnesses). The easiest method is to make a warm foot bath and add a cup of apple cider vinegar. Soak for 15-20 minutes. When you finish dry feet very well. Take an apple cider soaked q-tip and rub along the cuticles. Repeat once or twice a day. Do not put your feet immediately back into shoes. You will need your feet to air out for a bit for them to fully dry before putting shoes or socks back on.
- Coconut oil is wonderful for so many things and this is another great use for it. When you wake up in the morning just massage into your feet making sure you get it in between toes and around nails. Let it dry into your foot as best ass possible before adding shoes or socks back on to your feet.
- Garlic, while a smelly fix, it does work. It is an antiseptic and anti fungal. You can simply apply crushed raw garlic between the toes and on the nails twice a day for one to two weeks. Now you have to be careful with garlic because too much direct contact with the skin can cause added irritation. The best option is to crush 2 cloves of garlic into a teaspoon of coconut oil. You will then add the blended garlic to your feet. Now you get the added benefits of 2 great products at ones.
- Cloves can be used in the form of an essential oil or salve. Apply several times a day or twice a day if using in combination with the garlic. Do not eat any clove essential oil or salve. You can also place the cloves in a food processor with a teaspoon of coconut oil and use it just as you would the garlic. Cloves were used in Chinese medicine since many years B.C.
- Tea tree oil is known for its many uses. This is another great use. Just apply a 25% oil solution or cream two to three times a day. The only down side is some dry skin has been reported with long term use. If that is an issue for you and your skin just mix it in with the coconut oil just like with the other 2 natural remedies.
While I am very PRO natural remedy you need to keep in mind that when all else fails see a doctor. It's not recommended to use natural remedies for more than 3 weeks if there are no signs of improvement. Please see a doctor if symptoms do not improve within 3 weeks.
More by this Author
Having the mask of pregnancy is not fun. It's hard to get rid of and can make you insecure while you have it. Here are a few ways to fight the mask of pregnancy.
5 Natural Home Remedies to Help Get Rid of Boils.
What to eat when you broke. Meal ideas for $3 or less.