How to Get Rid of Pink Eye - 5 Natural Home Remedies
What is Pink Eye?
Pink eye is a horrible thing to get. Between the itching, pain, grainy feelings, the nasty goop, and the overall ugly appearance it can make you miserable. Luckily there are a number of natural remedies that have been show effective in the treatment of pink eye or conjunctivitis. They aren't always pain free or as easy as taking medications, but as a last resort while waiting to see a doctor they may help! So here are a few natural remedies to get you started.
Viral Pink Eye
Symptoms of viral pinkeye include:
- Redness and discoloration in the white of the eye.
- Swelling of the eyelids and under the eye.
- Itching or burning feeling of the eyelids especially when blinking or opening/closing the eye
- Swollen and tender areas in front of the ears often extending toward the eye.
- Excessive tearing, looking like you are crying constantly
- Clear or slightly thick, whitish drainage coming from eye and often sticking to the eye lashes.
- Waking up with your eyes sealed shut with a crust.
- Feeling a pressure on your eye like it is being pushed forward.
Bacterial Pink Eye
Symptoms of bacterial pinkeye include:
- Redness in the white of the eye.
- Gray, green, or yellow drainage from the eye. This drainage may cause the eyelashes to stick together or the eye to "seal" shut
- Discomfort or a feeling of pressure on the eye
- Swelling of the upper eyelid
- Possible to have all the symptoms of viral and all of the symptoms of bacterial at the same time
5 Natural Home Remedies for Pink eye
- Lemon Juice - Apply 3 or 4 drops straight into the corner of your eye and close your eyes rolling your eyeball back and forth. This WILL burn. I won't lie and act like it doesn't, but it WORKS! Improvement usually in less than 24 hours after first application. Do this morning and night for no more than 3 days. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!
- Honey - Mix 1 teaspoon in 1 cup of warm water. Use this as an eye flush. Pour it in the eye letting it run right back out. This one does not usually burn. Do not use store bought honey. You need to use natural local honey. You can also mix this with #5 or cow's milk, and use a dropper to add it to your eye a few time each day.
- Raw potato - You can either slice the raw potato or grate it and apply it to the closed eye in the morning and at night. Raw potatoes are a great effective remedy and contain natural antibiotic qualities.
- Aloe Very Juice - Use warm juice as an eye wash in the morning and at night. You can also apply this to a cloth and place it over the eye for 10 to 15 minutes. Let it soak into your eye. Some people put it in a dropper and drip it into the eye 2 or 3 times each day.
- Breast Milk - Yes, I saved this one for last because most people would be weirded out by it. Breast milk has been shown over and over again as an affective natural remedy for pink eye. It is also very safe for small children. Just add a couple of fresh drops to the eye. I can vouch for this one. I got pink eye when my daughter was 3 months old and since I was breastfeeding I couldn't take medication. The pink eye cleared up by the end of the day. Continue to put in the eye 3 times a day for 2 days after cleared.
When To See A Doctor For Pink Eye?
Pink eye is tricky! How sure are you that you have viral and not bacterial? Bacterial REQUIRES an antibiotic of some kind. Do you trust risking your ability to see? The eyes are certainly not something worth risking. Use natural remedies until you can get to a doctor. Discuss the options of continuing the natural remedy for treatment.
Natural remedies are great. However you should always talk to your doctor before using any natural remedies. If your doctor does not support natural remedies then find a better doctor who doesn't want to just shove pills down your throat.
Please remember that pink eye is VERY contagious and you should spend what will feel like the majority of your time washing your hands. Don't forget to change your sheets and pillowcases .
Do you use natural remedies?See results without voting
More by this Author
Having the mask of pregnancy is not fun. It's hard to get rid of and can make you insecure while you have it. Here are a few ways to fight dark spots during pregnancy.
5 Natural Home Remedies to Help Get Rid of Boils.
How much do foster parents really get paid? A full state-by-state list plus more.