How to Get Rid of a Tooth Ache - 5 Natural Remedies
Horrible Tooth Ache Pain
There are very few pains in life that are worse than a tooth ache. Something about an abscess is just horrible, and it feels like it hurts from your neck to the tip of your head. I have experienced an abscess twice in my life. It is not fun! It is even worse when it happens at the worst possible time, when going to the dentist was not an option. Between the pain, the swelling, the lack of being able to eat, and the inability to sleep through the pain, it's all horrible. I have had three children, 2 naturally, and I have to say I would rather give birth to another child than get another abscess. Here are a few natural home remedies that can hold you over until you can get to a dentist.
Natural Home Remedies For Your Tooth Ache
- Warm Salt water - This is made just like you would if you had a sore throat, warm water and a few teaspoons of salt. Just swish it around near the tooth for as long as you can. This usually works best on minor tooth aches. A major tooth ache will not likely be helped with this remedy.
- Ginger - Just grate some down and apply it to and around the tooth. This is not very tasty and may burn slightly at first, but it will help the pain. Keep the saliva in your mouth and near the tooth as long as possible. If you don't like the paste sitting in your mouth, you can mix a bit more water into it and just hold the liquid in your mouth.
- Garlic - Slice garlic into a decent size chunk slightly larger than the tooth. The next part is going to hurt and burn for about 60 seconds. Bite down on the garlic with the sore tooth. This is not fun and burns like crazy for a few seconds, but it works. Keep it on your tooth for as long as you can stand it. This works within a minute or two. The longer you can keep it in your mouth the better. Garlic has Antimicrobial properties. So it is good at helping treat the cause of the pain.
- Clover Oil - Just put a few drops on a q - tip and rub around the tooth. Again, avoid sticking any of the natural remedies directly into a cavity or into any hole in your mouth!
- Cayenne Pepper - This is the one you bring out for an abscessed tooth. Cayenne contains capsaicin. For centuries it has been believed that it is the best topical anesthetic in the world! I grow Cayenne peppers so I always have them around. Put a fresh one in a blender. Once it becomes a paste get a q tip and apply around the tooth. This will be spicy but will give almost immediate pain relief. Do not apply the pepper directly into a cavity or hole in your mouth. Only apply it around the area that is bothering you.
- Whiskey - Okay so I know I said five, but this is a bonus if you happen to already have some in the house. Just swish it around in your mouth for instant numbing. If you have no desire to get drunk you can simply spit it out. However if you have been up all night dealing with a massive tooth ache, feel free to swallow a few mouth fulls in a row, after swishing of course, and proceed to your bed for some over due sleep!
Seek Medical Attention For Abscesses
An abscessed tooth needs antibiotics. They are nothing to play with and can KILL you. Any natural remedies used for a tooth ache are only a temporary fix until you can get to a dentist. Do NOT use natural remedies as a substitute for proper care of an abscess. If you do not have money or insurance most teaching and public hospitals will see you in the ER and prescribe you the antibiotics needed to get rid of the abscess. Many grocery stores have free antibiotics. If you can't find them free most pharmacies have antibiotics for as little as $4. There is NO excuse to avoid medical treatment for an abscess.
Do you use natural remedies?See results without voting
More by this Author
5 Natural Home remedies for pink eye to help you get rid of that look fast!
Having the mask of pregnancy is not fun. It's hard to get rid of and can make you insecure while you have it. Here are a few ways to fight dark spots during pregnancy.
How much do foster parents really get paid? A full state-by-state list plus more.