How to Make Drinking Water More Interesting
Water is a basic necessary requirement in our daily diets.
Our bodies are made up of almost 60% water and so if we don’t drink enough every day to replenish ourselves then we can become dehydrated. Drinking enough water is also vital to ensure that our kidneys function correctly to flush out toxins and waste.
But I do find that plain old water can be boring, and I have a hard time drinking the minimum recommended water intake of 8-12 cups per day. I am always looking for ways to make water more interesting!
Thankfully, we don’t have to restrict ourselves to drinking 8-12 cups per day of uninteresting, tepid tap water. There are plenty of ways that we can get our daily fluid requirements without having to sacrifice taste. However, substituting water for cans of soda or other sugary drinks does not make for a healthy alternative and so when looking to make water more interesting it is a good idea to find ways of adding a little nutritional value as well. There is lots of water available naturally in the fruits and vegetables we consume every day; drinking fruit juice is one way to help get the fluid intake we need. Be careful though. Although drinking fruit juice is of nutritional benefit to the body, juice alone is high in sugar and calories.
Instead, let’s look at how water can be made more interesting by adding a burst of flavour, and perhaps some nutritional value. There are many brands of bottled water available now that are packed with extra vitamins and minerals for added health benefits. The downside to buying bottles of vitamin water, however, is that they can be quite expensive. If you are choosing store bought vitamin water, then do pay attention to the sugar and calorie content; there are some delicious vitamin waters available that contain 10 calories or less and come in a variety of delicious fruit flavours.
Above all, the easiest and most inexpensive way to make water more interesting is to add some natural flavouring to the tap or filtered water available in your own home. Dressing up your own readily available water is by far the most inexpensive (and fun) way of making water so much more interesting! Here are some of my personal favourites:-
1) Green Tea Delight - Brew a nice cup of decaffeinated herbal tea and add a squeeze of lemon for extra flavour. If you prefer a cool drink, allow the herbal tea to cool, pour it over a glass of ice, and then add the squeeze of lemon as a final touch.
2) Very Berry – Blackberries and blueberries are packed with antioxidants and bursting with sweet flavour, plus they just love soaking up water! Add a small handful of these berries to a large jug of water and mash a few to the sides of the jug as you stir. Keep the jug in the fridge and reach for the cool, fruity water all day long.
3) Mint and Lime – Think of it as an alcohol-free Mojito! Just crush a few pieces of mint into a tall glass of ice water, add a squeeze of lime and a lime slice for decoration. So refreshing and zingy, this water is a welcome treat on a hot summer’s day.
4) Honey and Orange – The delicious sweetness of honey not only makes water sweeter and more exciting, but it has many nutritional and antibiotic properties as well. Pour boiling water into a cup or mug and stir in teaspoon of runny honey. Squeeze in a little fresh orange juice and float a slice of orange over the top to add a citrus zing with an added boost of Vitamin C.
5) Spa Treatment – Many spas and salons add cucumber to water for a refreshing beverage that soothes the soul and goes a long way to help you feel “healthy”. Simply add to a jug of water some thin slices of cucumber, together with a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of salt to bring out all the flavours.
When thinking about some natural ways to make water more interesting, the possibilities are simply endless! How many other ways can you think of to liven up your 8-12 cups per day?
More by this Author
Here is a list of 8 foods that you can eat before bed without feeling too full or uncomfortable. Get to know the foods that help you sleep and enjoy a restful night without going hungry.
Digestive enzymes are vital in supporting the human body's digestive system. If you take artificial digestive enzymes, then this article will help to recognize and understand the potential side effects.
Learn how to easily identify and fix problems with your bathtub drain stopper. Avoid paying expensive service fees to call out a plumber! Follow these instructions to find out how to unclog a bathtub drain or, if...