50 Lactose-Free Healthy Snacks and Foods to Eat If You Are Lactose Intolerant
What is Lactose-Intolerance?
Lactose Intolerance is the inability to digest lactose, a sugar found in milk and milk products. Lactose intolerant individuals do not have enough lactase to digest the lactose, and therefore may experience symptoms such as abdominal bloating and cramping, diarrhea, nausea, and flatulence. It is not an actual allergy, but rather a problem with digestion caused by lactose deficiency.
Worldwide Prevalence of Lactose Intolerance
50 Lactose-Free Foods
There are a wide variety of foods to choose from which are lactose-free. Although some of the foods in this list are prepared or cooked foods, most of the snacks and foods in this list or ready available to eat. Enjoy!
- Any type of raw fruit
- Any type of raw vegetable
- Dried fruit, saw as banana chips, apricot pieces, and assorted fruit mix)
- Cooked vegetables (with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, parsley)
- Garden salad with oil and vinegar
- Raw (not blanched) nuts
- Cabot cheese (which is naturally lactose free and comes in a variety of flavors, including classic cheddars, light cheddars, and flavored cheddars)
- Keebler Toasteds Crackers - Wheat flavor
- Mediterranean Lentil chips with Sea Salt
- Stacy's Multi-Grain Pita Chips
- Sabra or any brand of hummus (suggested favorite: Zabra Roasted Pine Nuts)
- Nature Valley Oats and Dark Chocolate Granola Bars
- Nature Valley Apple Crisp Granola Bars
- Nature Valley Oats and Honey Granola Bars
- Peanut butter
- Hard pretzels
- Soft pretzels
- Kashi Toasted Berry Crumble cereal
- Kashi Heart to Heart cereal (suggested favorite: Honey Toasted Oat)
- Corn Flakes cereal
- Cheerios (plain or Honey Nut)
- Lactaid or any other brand of lactose free milk
- Non-daily milks, including soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, for example
- Lactaid Ice Cream (flavors included Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry and Cream, Cookies and Cream, Butter Pecan)
- Breyers lactose-free ice cream
- Lactaid Lowfat Lactose Free Cottage Cheese
- Yoplait lactose-free yogurt
- Hard-boiled egg
- Scrambled eggs, plain
- Ham omelet
- Vegetable omelet (click here for Rainbow Vegetable Omelet recipe)
- Sushi (most varieties are dairy free, but always double-check; suggested favorite: California roll-up)
- Rice cakes
- Soy yogurt
- Cooked pasta with dash of lite olive oil, garlic powder, basil. Suggested favorite: Barilla Tri-Color Rotini
- Cream of wheat (use water or lactose-free milk, and a dash of salt for flavoring)
- Broth-based soups (chicken noodle, beef barley); no cream soups
- Grilled chicken, fish or beef, prepared with olive oil (no butter, which may contain lactose), and seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, parsley)
- Egg salad
- Potato salad
- Butter-free, air-popped popcorn
- Corn tortilla chips
- Some breads (but be sure to check ingredients), or as an alternative for a sandwich, consider pita breads, wraps or naan type bread, which are typically dairy-free/lactose-free
- Quinoa seeds, or foods made with quinoa grains
- Edamane soybeans, prepared like vegetables, or toasted
- Pickles and olives, any kind, any variety
Cabot Cheeses are Naturally Lactose-Free!
Lactase Enzyme Supplements
There are also lactase enzyme supplements available, including Lactaid and other brands. So you don't have to give up all dairy products...you can still enjoy pizza or lasagna once in a while. Just be sure to carry these tablets with you. They need to be taken with food to assist with digestion. They contain the lactase enzyme to help you digest lactose.
Typically, I take 1 to 2 tablets for 1 piece of pizza, depending on the size of the pizza.
It will vary for each person, so be sure to check with your doctor first before taking lactase tablets.
It’s best not to assume you are lactose intolerant if you experience related symptoms. Instead, if you experience problems when eating foods containing milk or milk-related products, see your doctor or a nutritionist to be sure.
Are You Lactose Intolerant?See results without voting
Lentil Chips Are Great With Hummus!
© 2013 Amelia Griggs
More by this Author
Are people born smart or is it a learned behavior? How do we define intelligence? Learn about the power of your mind, and what you can do everyday to boost your brain power.
Want to be inspired? Just read an inspirational quote to brighten your day! This hub is a collection of inspirational quotes and words to live by, to achieve success.
Many of us are familiar with the Easter holiday, but what is the real meaning of Easter and Lent, and what are some Easter and Lent traditions? Learn about Easter bread, egg frittata and palm weaving.