How to get a Good Nights Sleep
6 Natural Remedies for Insomnia
Ayurveda views sleep as one of the most important aspects in a person’s health. If sleep isn’t adequate then a person can become depleted working on very little reserves and opening themselves up to a host of health issues. Remember that every body is different and the amount of sleep needed varies with each individual. So much research has been done on sleep but I wanted to give you my quick tips for those who suffer from insomnia.
In general, those who suffer from a lot of air in their bodies are the most likely to have insomnia. Air in your body shows up through constipation, dry skin, scattered mind, and excessive gas or wind. The following suggestions are geared toward reducing the air in your body to make you feel more grounded and balanced before bed.
My 6 Tips to get your sleep back:
- Oil the top of your head and the bottom of your feet with sunflower or coconut oil. Oil is a way of grounding extra energy in the body. When we travel, spend a lot of time outdoors in the wind or too much time in the sun we increase an energy in our body that can keep us from sleeping. Oil helps stop the extra energy and brings a grounding calmness to the body.
- Have a bedtime routine. Always go to bed at a certain time and give yourself a routine before bed. Your routine could include taking a bath, going for a short walk, reading a light book or meditating. This allows the body to know that you are getting ready to go to bed and it will start responding by getting tired before you get to bed.
- Give yourself time to reflect on the day before going to bed. A lot of us are staying awake because we are going over everything that happened during the day as we are lying in bed. Once you go to bed don’t spend time thinking. Give yourself reflection time before you decide to go to bed so you don’t feel like you need to do it during.
- Journaling before bed allows whatever is in your head to come out before you try to get some shuteye. You may want to journal things you want to make sure you do tomorrow, or you can write about how great your day went. The key is that once you get to bed if there is still anything going around in your head you need to get it out on paper so your mind can stop thinking about it.
- Warm milk and nutmeg. Warm milk induces a sound sleep and the nutmeg is a natural muscle relaxant that will help the body relax. Just don’t use too much nutmeg as it will make you feel a bit heavy in the morning if you do. Warm milk and nutmeg before bed is a natural and nice way to relax.
- Avoid stimulating activities like watching television, doing yoga or any other form of exercise, drinking coffee, tea or soda. All of these things will increase the energy in your body and make you stay awake.
Give 1 or all of my suggestions a try. If you do all 6 you are sure to have improved your sleep. If you don’t feel any improvement then you may need more help. Insomnia is a sign that your body is out of balance. Especially if you have been suffering from insomnia for any length of time you could need a lot more than what I have recommended here.
More by this Author
Practical, easy-to-follow advice on how to get your bowels moving naturally without medication or drugs. Make easy steps to change your life forever.