7 Types of Antioxidant-Rich Foods
Antioxidants can be found in many different types of foods. This is great because it means that you can eat a varied diet and still get all of the antioxidants that your body needs to stay healthy. Here is a look at 7 different types of foods that are rich in antioxidants and the specific foods within those types that offer the best sources of antioxidants.
1. Fresh Fruit. This is the best source of antioxidants for most people. The fresh fruit that is best known for its antioxidants is blueberries. However, it's actually true that other berries are rich in antioxidants as well. Load up on strawberries, raspberries and other berries to boost your health. Other fruits that contain antioxidants include kiwi, oranges, plums and pineapple.
2. Dry Fruit. It’s best to eat fresh fruits if you want to get a lot of antioxidants into your diet. However, there’s nothing wrong with including some dry fruit as well. Dried apricots and dried prunes are good choices for dried fruits that are rich in antioxidants. Dates are another great choice.
3. Veggies. In addition to fruits, you will want to make sure that you get antioxidants from the vegetables in your diet. Think green and red to make things simple for yourself when choosing veggies. Green vegetables that are rich in antioxidants include spinach, parsley, artichokes and Brussels sprouts. Red options include peppers, red cabbage and beets.
4. Beans. Round out your fruit-and-veggie rich diet with some healthy beans. Beans that are rich in antioxidants include soy beans and pinto beans. One great option is to make meals that include both beans and veggies that are rich in antioxidants. For example, pinto beans that are spiced up with spinach and peppers would be a great selection.
5. Nuts. Nuts are another type of antioxidant-rich food that you can add to your diet. Walnuts, hazelnuts and pecans are the best choices available. Seeds also fall into this category with sunflower seeds being the best choice.
6. Cereal. You might be wondering what types of breakfast foods, other than fruit, would be antioxidant-rich. Some cereals are very rich in antioxidants. Barley, oats and corn are good ingredients to look for when choosing cereals. You want to choose non-sugar cereals. Add dried fruit or fresh fruit to them to boost antioxidant levels and add flavor.
7. Spices. There are even a few spices out there that are rich in antioxidants. Of course, you won’t get a bulk of your antioxidants from spices alone but it’s good to know what the spices are that you should try to incorporate into your diet when cooking these other items. Cinnamon, oregano and cloves are the best spices to add to your spice rack if you are seeking antioxidants.
It’s important to try to get antioxidants from a number of sources in order to keep your diet varied and healthy. Focus on developing a diet that is based primarily on fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants and then add in some of the other options. Happy, healthy eating!
- 20 Foods That are Great for Your Skin
It doesn't take much more than common sense to realize that what you put into your body is going to have an impact on how your body looks and feels. If you eat foods that are filled with fat, cooked in...
More by this Author
Supplements are products that are available to people over the counter. For this reason, many people make the mistake of assuming that all supplements are safe. However, this is not necessarily true. Many...
Caffeine is a serious drug. For those of us who drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages every day, quitting the habit can be difficult. Here are 6 simple tricks to getting rid of headaches.
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.