8 Ways Women Can Increase Their Happiness Today
How Women Can Increase Their Happiness
Have you ever run into one of those women who always seem to be smiling and surrounded by positive energy? What’s her secret and how does she keep herself smiling when the going gets tough? Most women have their own little secrets to help relieve stress and increase happiness. However, sometimes we need a little help. Here are eight great ways to help increase your happiness and keep that beautiful smile on your face.
Eight Ways to Increase Your Happiness
1. Don’t gossip. Sure it’s tempting, in fact sometimes it feels outright impossible not to, but avoid the urge. It’s one thing to vent about the lady who cut you off when you dropped your kids off at school, or vent about your husband and his lack of ability to throw his clothes in the hamper. Women need to talk things out, it’s how we are wired, we vent to our friends. But gossiping can be toxic. When you talk badly about someone you care about, embellish rumors, or spread painful rumors, you are not only hurting someone, you are hurting yourself and your reputation, and at the end of the day…it only makes you feel worse. I read an amazing article about a woman who made a commitment to not gossip for 30 days. She in turn found out who her true friends were (ones that didn't expect her to gossip with them) and felt lighter and free of negative energy. So the next time you are tempted to gossip, remember that it could be you that gets hurt the next time the rumor mill roars its ugly head. Stop the cycle and steer clear of that type of negativity.
2. Surround yourself with good friends and positive energy. When you spend time with friends it is precious time. Make sure that you spend your time with people who bring something positive into your life. Don’t waste your time with people who bring you down or don’t respect you. Time is precious so use it wisely. Be an amazing friend and you will have the luxury of choosing your friends. I consider my friends the ‘family that I chose’ they are the rocks that keep my sane and keep me smiling. Surround yourself with those types of people.
3. Don’t compare your life with everyone else. Of course there is always someone who has a bigger house, a nicer car, the perfect kids and husband. Everyone, and I mean everyone, admires others for some things in their lives, but don’t compare yourself to them. Focus on the good things that you have. Maybe you don’t have the big house, but you have the ‘loving home’. My husband isn't a ‘fix it man’ but he is an incredible listener, friend and a wonderful dad. Comparing yourself to others only makes you feel inadequate, you need to focus on the positives in your life and build from that. Keeping up with your neighbor is a silly, impossible goal. Your happiness doesn't depend on what they do or don’t have but what you love and appreciate about your own life.
4. Nurture you marriage. Make time for your spouse and put more love into your marriage. Remind your husband how much you care and go the extra mile to show him.
5. Nurture you friendships. Marriage and mommy woes are much easier to handle when you have girlfriends who understand. Keep those special friends in your life. Listen- when your friend needs to talk, be there- when she needs a shoulder to cry on, and lift her spirits when she is feeling down. When you nurture your friendships you build lifelong bonds. One of my own keys to happiness is Friday morning coffee with my girlfriends. This gives me time to just be a woman, talk about life, and laugh about things only my friends would understand.
6. Take care of your body. Being happy with yourself is feeling good. Whether you are a size 2 or a size 22 your body is your temple and you need to treat it like gold. Respect yourself, eat healthy, exercise and love yourself. Flaws and all.
7. Slow Down. Give yourself the gift of 10 minutes a day to do something in complete solitude. Stay away from Facebook, email and anything that contacts the outside world. This is time just for you to sit, relax, and reflect on your day. Take a bath, put on some music and just sit and enjoy you.
8. Random acts of kindness. Do something nice for a coworker, friend or family member. Remind someone how special they are or treat a stranger with extra kindness. The most important part of this is to expect nothing in return. It will come back to you, but that isn't the point, by being nice to other people you become happier in general, people will in turn treat you kindly and your positive energy will surround you.
Allow Yourself to Be Happy
Women in today’s society have high demands. We are expected to be mothers, wives, hold jobs, take care of the home, take care of our husbands and maybe somewhere in there take care of us. Remember, you are strong, vibrant, and amazing just the way you are. Being a woman is something to be proud of, so put on your big girl pants and take this crazy world on and be happy!!
More by this Author
The 25 Best Christmas quotes of all time!
One of the hardest decisions you will ever have to make is when and if to return to work after being a Stay-at-home-mom. Luckily, you are not alone. Many woman have gone through it.....
Ever wonder what your man's musical taste says about his potential as a good lover?