A Simple Way to Destress
When is the last time you listened to the outside world? Not just your cell phone, radio, or tv, but the natural sounds outside your window?
A major cause of stress in today's world is background noise. Too much noise distracts us, dividing our attention. In many homes, businesses, and cars, the radio or television is on all the time while we are concentrating on day-to-day activities. Studies have shown that distractions while driving are the major cause of traffic accidents, and even listening to the car radio takes attention away from driving.
When you work, drive or are doing important things at home, do you:
- have the radio on?
- have the tv on?
- get interrupted by your cell phone or other phone?
- do two or more things at one time rather than concentrating on the task at hand?
These things all contribute to day-to-day stress.
Here is a simple way to de-stress, and it only takes a few minutes of your time. You can do this anywhere, except for when driving.
- Shut off all distractions. This includes the cell phones, radio, and tv.
- Quiet your mind from repetitive thoughts of what you should be doing.
- Breathe deeply, letting the breath come from your abdomen.
- Name 5 things you see, either to yourself or aloud. If you can't find 5, then do the number that you can.
- Name 5 things you hear.
- Name 5 things you smell.
- Name 5 things you feel. Not within your body, but connections from your body to things you are touching.
- Close your eyes and breathe, using all your senses to listen to the world around you.
Now, open your eyes. How do you feel?
Do this exercise as often as you need, and it will help you feel less stressed. Remember to notice the distractions in your life and minimize them when possible, cutting down on your stress in the first place.
See the books below for additional easy tips on reducing stress in your life.
More by this Author
Is someone's drinking affecting your life? Are you worried because alcohol changes that person? Is the drinking on-and-off but still affecting your life when it happens? Here are some tips for you from...
Sometimes you set out to rescue a stray or sign up to foster animals; sometimes pets in need come find you instead. This article will give you a checklist of supplies to keep on hand to help the cats and kittens that...
Rori hops up and puts her paws on the keyboard. Using KT's lap as a chair, she starts typing: Well of course cats are superior to dogs! What dog can do this, or even think of doing it? I keep my own journal on the...