Physical Wellness: How to Prevent Diseases and Avoid Premature Death
Physical wellness is one of the seven dimensions of wellness. It’s an important factor in preventing diseases as well as living a long and satisfying life.
Physical wellness involves physical activity to build endurance, strength, flexibility and fitness. It can be achieved through regular exercise, sleep and rest, proper diet and nutrition as well as avoidance of drug abuse, tobacco use and excessive alcohol consumption. Sexual health is also a component of physical wellness.
Physical wellness is closely intertwined with emotional and mental wellness. There are physiological causes and effects of mental and emotional issues.
Performing regular physical activity on most days of the week can reduce the risk of dying prematurely from the leading causes of death in the United States.
By achieving optimal physical wellness, you can experience the following benefits:
- Increase chances of living longer
- Decrease risk of colon cancer
- Decrease risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Decrease risk of type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Decrease risk of developing high blood pressure
- Decrease blood pressure for people with hypertension
- Decrease anxiety and depression as well as improve psychological and mental health
- Better weight control and management
- Increase muscle and bone strength
Physical Fitness Is Important for Health and Wellness
Achieving Physical Wellness, Fitness and Health Can Prevent Diseases and Save Millions of Lives
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), millions of Americans can prevent illnesses by performing regular physical activity.
Millions of lives can be saved by preventing or improving the following:
- 95,000 people are diagnosed with colon cancer every year.
- 8 million people have adult-onset diabetes.
- 13.5 million people have coronary heart disease.
- 50 million people have high blood pressure or hypertension.
- Over 60 million people are overweight.
- 1.5 million people suffer from a heart attack in a given year.
Americans who are overweight, hypertensive or diabetic have a much greater risk of having coronary heart disease. They have a much greater risk of having a heart attack or a stroke.
Creating wellness is an ongoing process of making choices towards a healthy and fulfilling life. The choices you make in terms of performing physical activity can contribute to your overall wellness or illness.
By being committed to a lifetime of physical fitness and achieving physical wellness, you can prevent many diseases as well as live a longer and more satisfying life.
Video: Learn How Nutrition, Exercise and Physical Fitness as well as Other Activities Can Help Create a Lifetime of Physical Health and Wellness
More by this Author
By understanding the main causes of stress in your life, you can make some changes that can help you avoid its harmful health effects.
- 2Are You One Heart Attack Away From Losing It All? How to Prevent Heart Disease By Living a Healthy Lifestyle
If you are not living a healthy lifestyle, you may be at risk for having heart disease and a heart attack. The problems is that if you're like most people, you probably don't know the early warning signs of a heart...
- 10Happiness Psychology and Biology: Happiness Research Shows What Happens to the Brain When We Are Happy
By applying happiness research findings, more people can enjoy greater life satisfaction. Finding happiness is more than just about feeling good or having positive emotions for the sake of pleasure. Happiness and other...