Acid Reflux (GERD) Foods
What Is Acid Reflux and What Causes It?
It is caused by strong acids secreted by the stomach, the lining of which is naturally protected by a specific protein layer. It occurs when these acids regurgitate, reflux or flow back to come in contact with the delicate lining of the esophagus ( the tube-like structure that connects the mouth to the stomach ) and irritates it.
Acid reflux sufferers may describe one or more of the following symptoms:
* a burning chest pain that begins at the breastbone and moves up toward the throat
* a feeling that food is coming back into the mouth
* an acid or bitter taste at the back of the throat
* an increase in severity of pain when lying down or bending over
In other words, what we know as heartburn that is characterized by one or more of these symptoms.
It is caused by malfunction of the Lower Eosophageal Sphincter (LES). It normally opens like a door that allows food into the stomach but not back up the same way, which is tightly closed and once relaxed, it allows acid to come in contact with the esophagus causing heartburn. Relaxation of LES may be caused by lifestyle, dietary factors and medications.
In this hub, we will discuss the relation between food and heartburn or acid reflux.
Lower Eosophageal Sphincter (LES)
Can Diet Cause Acid Reflux?
Unless 1- The muscle of LES is weak like in GERD disease or Hiatal Hernia,
2- The position of the stomach is altered like in pregnancy, overweight, wearing tight clothes, and practising certain types of exercise
3- You smoke or take some medications that affect the LES like heart and asthma medications that lower pressure of LES or Antibiotics
Foods and beverages are mostly the primary cause of the disease, and in all cases it will aggravate the case.
How Can Food Affect Acid Reflux?
Although the response to different foods varies with individuals, nevertheless, there are some observations that proved to have an effect on the disease, these include:
* Eating large portion causes the stomach to secrete larger amounts of acid at the same time
* Fatty meal stays longer in the stomach,i.e. The acid stays longer in the stomach
* Some foods like peppermint, spearmint, and chocolate relax the LES which opens to allow acid to go back into the esophagus ( I personally feel it strongly with peppermint)
* Eating before going to bed allows acid which is secreted after meals not to be counteracted by gravity, as the body is laid horizontal for about 8 hours
* Drinking beverages like coffee, cola and alcoholics increases the strength of the acidity
of the stomach, so when it touches the esophagus it is more irritating
* Citrus juices, spicy foods and tomatoes directly irritates the esophagus
Can We Reduce Acid Reflux by Making Food Choices?
Not all individuals are created equal, the good portion size of one individual may be bad for another, and it is meant that you find the right mix of food and beverages. You are asked to scrutinize your portion size for all foods, so that you know your suitable personal portion size of any food or drink, even more you can avoid that food when needed.
Foods with High potential to Aggravate Acid Reflux (Reconsider eating)
- Sour cream
- Milk shake
- Ice cream
- Cottage cheese,regular
* MEATS & BEANS
- Ground beef, chuck
- Marbled sirloin
- Chicken, nugget-style
- Chicken, buffalo wings
* FATS, OILS & SWEETS
- Corn chips
- Potato chips, regular
- Butter cookie, high-fat
- Salad dressing, creamy
- Salad dressing, oil & vinegar
Foods with Medium Potential to Cause Acid Reflux (Eat with Discretion)
- Milk, 2 percent
- Milk, skim
- Frozen yogurt
- Cottage cheese,low-fat
- Cheddar cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
* Meat & Beans
- Ground beef, lean
- Chicken salad
- Scrambled eggs, in butter
- Eggs, fried
- Fish, fried
- Tuna salad
- Hot dog, beef or pork
- Nuts or peanut butter
- Baked beans
* Fats, Oils & Sweets
- Cookie, low-fat
- Non-alcoholic wine
- Non-alcoholic beer
- Root beer
Cottage Cheese, low fat
Foods with Low Potential to Cause Acid Reflux (GO)
- Cream cheese,fat-free
- Feta cheese
- Goat cheese
- Sour cream, fat-free
- Soy cheese, low-fat
* Meat & Beans
- Ground beef, extra-lean
- Steak, London Broil
- Chicken breast, without skin
- Egg whites/egg substitute
- Fish, fresh, prepared without added fat
* Fats, Oils Sweets
- Potato chips, baked
- Cookie, fat-free
- Jelly beans
- Red licorice
- Salad dressing, low-fat
- Mineral water
Cream Cheese, Fat Free
Steak, London Broil
Baked Potato Chips
- The Diet Solution Basics
The Diet Solution Basics : A review of the basics of weight loss, as well as the diet solution program and how far it copes with these basics.
More by this Author
But if the consumers find long lasting or permanent hair removal safely (if performed properly), and find that hair regrowth comes back finer in texture and lighter in color, then why do they need alternatives? Well,...
On a fat burning diet and you don't lose weight fast? You should think of foods you eat, they might sap your diet. You should have been told what foods to eat and what to avoid, and here we do. Poor food choices...
Top facial masks made at home using simple items already existing in your kitchen. They suit skin of different types, age and condition.