The Way To Overcome Fear - Causes And Cures
Fear always springs from ignorance.
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Singing Without Fear - Become Fearless
Prepare to sing without fear takes the reader through the causes of singing with fear and the main cause for fear and stage fright. Outlined are 5 ways to control your fear.
A List of Types of Fear and Anxiety
The poet Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "The antidote to fear is knowledge." In other words, we can overcome fear by learning its causes and cures. Fear raises its ugly head when it comes to public speaking, acting, musical performance or most anytime you are asked to appear in public.
One of my fears is walking alone to my car in the dark when I'm shopping. I'm working on this by learning skills to protect me from possible danger.
When we take a test, get an injection, or go to the dentist we face a bad case of the jitters. But the #1 fear even before death is public speaking.
There are seemingly endless types of fear. Do any of these apply to you?
- The unknown
- Public Speaking/Singing/Performance
- Math Anxiety (me)
- Heights (me again)
- Not enough money
- Approaching People
- Loss of a Loved One
- Being robbed/attacked
- Driving on Freeways
- Risk Taking
- Certain Foods
How To Fight Fear With These Successful Tips
Everyone experiences fear in some way. The good news is we can all learn how to overcome fear. Here are a few tried and true tips to help you fight fear:
- Be Prepared. Whether you're facing a public performance, taking a test or interviewing for a job - the better prepared you are the more control you will have over the situation.
- Face Your Fears. Do spiders freak you out? Well they don't like you at all. In fact, spiders are anti-social. They don't devise some clever plan to crawl up to you and take a nibble. You aren't what's on their menu.
- Fear of Succeeding. Why would anyone be afraid of success? Well, if you procrastinate or believe you don't deserve it, you have a fear of success. To help to overcome this fear, make a list of things you're afraid of. Once you've identified these fears, start imagining what your life would be like if you were successful.
- Fear of Commitment. Give yourself plenty of time to learn about your partner. Becoming best friends first will bring you a feeling of safety and trust. Give the relationship about 2 years before committing. Trust your judgement.
- Fear of Rejection. Find reassurance within yourself. Don't make the mistake of focusing on what you don't want. Instead, focus on what you do want. Your mind is a powerful ally.
- Fear of Failure. Tell yourself that failure is only a step to success. Failure is part of success. Avoid beating yourself up. Change your perception about failure. Read about successful people who have faced failure time after time.
To Overcome Fear - Seek Knowledge
When we experience fear our mind can become clouded or even paralyzed. How often have you heard the phrase "paralyzed with fear?" You may have experienced this feeling at one time. I certainly have and I'm hoping never to feel this way again.
We have a marvelous tool available to help us overcome fear. This tool is called knowledge and it provides protection from our fears. When we fear a certain something, this is the time to learn about that which we fear.
Learning requires many steps so begin slowly and continue to defeat your enemy - fear. Make use of the most powerful tool you have...courage. Refuse to give into your fears by learning where the fear stems from. Study the thing you fear and learn as much as possible about it.
Knowledge is power.
Overcome Fear - Learn What You Can Do
Acquaint yourself with the master of fear
You will find where your own fear lies
Fear may come in different forms
It cleverly wears its disguise
Trembling limbs and a racing heart
Lips unable to speak
Bind the body in its place
And every part lays weak
Phobic situations result in higher fear
The same anxiety pattern
Leaves footprints with each year
Freudian hypnosis for under-lying cause
Failed its mark for we're not born with fear
Its confidence we bring with us
Fright has no power here
And yet at times we fear ourselves
Abilities lie dormant
Binding sticky fingers
Raging its own torment
Restrictive is the force of fear
To influence each life
Prevention from our own potential
Cutting like a knife
Fear raises its ugly head
and like a cruel thief in the night
robs us of our own success
once more we lose the fight
Is there no antidote for this
the threatning power of fear?
Ah yes, there is - as Emerson said
"Knowledge is the antidote to fear."
Recognize Your Fears
What are you most afraid of?See results without voting
In Conclusion...Facing Your Fears
I have known fear and I have known failure. One day I just got sick and tired of being afraid and tired of dragging around the feeling of "not being good enough." One fear that I've carried inside of myself is going on fast rides at Disneyland. Oh, how I wanted to experience the fun that others had on these rides. But my fear took hold of me and I just couldn't do it.
I knew I had to face my fears so I immediately made a decision to go to an amusement park (Disneyland) and take a ride on "Space Mountain." Though my heart was beating so hard I thought it would leap out of my chest, I gathered up all my courage and went into the unknown. Much to my surprise I actually enjoyed it so much that I waited in line to ride it a second time.
I had conquered one of my greatest fears. I left Disneyland that evening with a feeling of elation and empowerment.
Fear can immobilize each of us. It can prevent us from becoming all that we can be. Overcoming fear and failure can also teach us things about ourself that we otherwise would never learn.
Make yourself a promise to Overcome Fear and live a life of freedom.
Fear is the main source of superstition and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom. - Bertrand Russell
He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life.
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)
© 2012 Audrey Hunt
More by this Author
Learning how to be true to yourself is the key to happiness and life-long success. How can you love others if you can't love yourself? Until you find the path to being true to yourself you will never be free.
Why compliments make you feel uncomfortable. Is it natural to feel like you're being lied to? What are the rules for accepting a compliment? Can I change how I feel? Absolutely!
I hate my voice! If you're one of the many people who feel this way, you've come to the right place because you're about to learn why you hate your voice and how to fix it.