Aging Memory Loss - Simple Tips to Stop and Reverse Aging Memory Loss
Do You Have Aging Memory Loss?
Are you suffering from aging memory loss? Even if your memory is generally good and you can do your normal daily tasks - there may still be some signs that you are suffering from age related memory loss.
- Do you sometimes have trouble recalling recent events?
- Does it take you longer to do the crossword puzzle?
- Do you sometimes forget the name of someone or something?
Obviously, if you are worried that it might be more than aging memory loss or if these things are happening all the time or interfering with your daily life, you need to have it checked out.
Age related memory loss is often highlighted by simple things we do like when retrieving a memory seems to take a bit longer. The memories are still there - it is just a bit harder to remember them or rather for your brain to find where it put them.
Can Age Related Memory Loss be Stopped or Reversed?
If you are worried about this kind of age related brain loss, there are some simple things you can do to help your overall brain health. These simple things are often related to our lifestyle, some require little change to what we do, whilst others mean we have to actually do something new.
Doing something new or creating a new habit is often the hardest thing to do. Doing something new will often give you the highest rewards. By trying something new you may not just stop your aging memory loss in its tracks, but actually actively reverse it, regardless of how old you are.
How amazing is that - it is worth repeating:
Regardless of your age, you can stop and reverse normal aging memory loss by making some changes and creating some new habits.
What Causes Memory Loss As We Get Older?
There are many factors that can cause memory loss as we get older some physical,emotional and environmental. Here are some common things that are known causes of memory loss.
- Lack of Physical Exercise
- Hydration - are you drinking your 6 glasses a day?
- Vitamin deficiency - specifically vitamin B12
- Low blood sugar
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Lack of sleep
- Lack of mental stimulation
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Other illnesses such as vascular diseases and diabetes
Simple Tips to Stop and Reverse Aging Memory Loss
Minor forgetfulness is irritating but is usually not enough to make you do something about it.
Your brain is incredible and continues to grow and regenerate throughout your entire life given the right conditions. Starting right now, you can easily stop, reverse and even improve your memory just by making a few changes.
Here are some simple tips to help stop and reduce aging memory loss:
* Take a Yoga Class - this will have many benefits, the exercises will get your body moving, the new techniques will have your brain stimulated and may even enjoy some relief from the stresses of your life.
* Reduce the bad fats in your diet and add some good fats - the Mediterranean diet which is high in good fats including olive oil and walnuts appears to be beneficial to the body in many ways. Walnuts are especially high in plant omega-3 fatty acids which have many benefits for both brain and heart. Cut out the muffin or cake and replace it with a handful of walnuts.
* Drink water - Simply drink 6 glasses of filtered water a day, and your whole body will thank you.
* Eat some strawberries, blueberries or broccoli - all of which are high in anti-oxidants.
* Go for a walk - one hour, three times per week can make a significant difference to your overall health and will clear your brain leading to processing and memory improvements.
* For mental stimulation why not exercise your brain - try a crossword, sudoku or brain teaser puzzle. If you are looking for a more formal program try an online brain training program.
* Learn some new memory techniques - amaze your friends with your newly acquired talents! There are many places to check out the more common memory techniques, or you can enrol on the "Rolls Royce" of memory enhancement programs - be prepared to put in the hard yards in this program - if you do you won't be disappointed.
What Will You Do To Stop Your Age Related Memory Loss Today?
None of the things on the list above are hard to do. The question is will you do it? Brain health like the rest of your body, is a balancing act - there is no one answer or magic pill to cure it all. Looking after your brain and memory as you age is the same - you need to consider the whole picture.
So will you? The other side to the question is what will happen if you don't? There is evidence that those who look after their brain health and keep their minds sharp are less likely to suffer from severe memory loss, dementia or even Alzheimers' Disease in later years.
We can expect to live longer - so why not ensure you can enjoy it with your mind and memories in tact!
More Age Related Memory Tips
For more information check out the Natural Brain Power blog for more about aging memory loss tips, information and product reviews.
More by this Author
Right up front I am going to say that Michael Phelps is one very cool guy. One of the things I most admirable about him was at the 2004 Athens Olympic games he gave up his spot in the Mens 4x100m Medley relay so...