Alfalfa or Medicado sativa is a member of the pea family and was cultivated in Western Asia. As a herbal supplement alfalfa is usually consumed dry but the alfalf sprouts are also consumed fresh.
Early Chinese and Indian doctors used alfalfa leaves to treat digestive disorders. It also has been commonly connected with relieving water retention. Native Americans Utilized alfalfa to treat jaundice and encourage clotting. It has been recommend for nursing mothers and its seeds have been made into a poultice for treatment of boils. The use of alfalfa has spanned centuries.
Benefits of Alfalfa
Alfalfa is full of fiber. its is great for aiding in digestion and thus aiding in lower high cholesterol. It also aids in water retention. Alfalfa sprouts contain more protein than corn and wheat, and is one of the richest sources of vitamins and trace minerals, such as the necessary selenium, being high in vitamins A, D, E, and K.
**Warning to those suffering with Arthritis alfalfa has been known to increase flares so steer clear of this one.***
- 2 avocados
- 6 baby carrots, grated
- alfalfa sprout
- bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh coriander
- 24 unsalted peanuts or unsalted cashews (approximately)
- Halve and remove stones from 2 avocados.
- Grate the carrots, combine with the alfalfa and toss with the extra virgin olive oil, then spoon this mixture into and onto each avocado half, then top with fresh sprigs of coriander and peanuts or cashews.
- Notes: If an avocado has a 'neck' rather than being rounded at the top, it was probably tree-ripened and will have better flavour. To ripen a firm avocado, place it in a paper bag at room temperature for a couple of days. Don't refrigerate avocados until they are ripe. To prevent the flesh from turning brown, sprinkle with lemon juice. In Australia, there are now varieties of avocado which don't brown after being cut, but I do wonder (I don't know) if they have been genetically modified.
More by this Author
The restaurant business is an exciting industry to learn about. It seems like every aspect of the industry is carefully thought out. Also every aspect as ties to various cultures and traditions. I am a foodie or food...
An introduction to university family housing.
No comments yet.