All About Oranges
I think we all know this fruit. This fruit is so delicious and juicy. Now, I talk about oranges. Oranges are sphere-shaped fruits with leathery and porous skin. Oranges have color from orange to red-orange. In botanically side, oranges belonging to the family of Rutaceae of the genus. Orange is the most commonly fruit in the world. I mean most of people in the world know this fruit very well. Based on the tree, orange tree reached size of 30 feet high and 20 feet wide. Most of the branches of orange tree are thorny. Usually orange leaves are shinny with three or four inches long. Orange itself is a tropical to semitropical plant. It classified into two categories, sweet and bitter. Sweet orange is the type most commonly consumed. Type of sweet oranges including: Navel, Persian variety, Valencia, and blood orange. Chinese New Year Celebration has just passed, and the fruit was well known at the time was mandarin oranges. Though there are many varieties of common oranges in the world, like: Belladonna (Italy), Homosassa (Florida), Castellana (Spain), Calabrese (Italy), Jincheng (China), Malta (Pakistan), Midsweet (Florida), Pera (Brazil), Selecta (Australia), Shamouti Masry (Egypt), Vicieda (Algeria, Morocco, Spain), Maltaise Blonde (North Africa), Don Jao (Portugal), Keprok (Indonesia), etc. Orange or citrus fruit can be eaten directly, but also can be made into a delicious juice or a refreshing drink.
Nutritional value of oranges
Nutritional Value per 100 g (3.5 oz) of oranges based on USDA National Nutrient data base are Principle: 47 Kcal of energy, 11.75 g of carbohydrates, 0.94 g of protein, 0.12 g of total fat, 0 mg of cholesterol, 2.40 g of dietary fiber. Vitamins: 30 µg of folates, 0.282 mg of niacin, 0.250 mg of Pantothenic acid, 0.060 mg of Pyridoxine, 0.040 mg of riboflavin, 0.100 mg of thiamin, 53.2 mg of vitamin C, 225 IU vitamin A, 0.18 mg of vitamin E, 0 µg of vitamin K. Electrolytes: 169 mg of potassium. Minerals: 40 mg of calcium, 39 mcg of copper, 0.10 mg of iron, 10 mg of magnesium, 0.024 mg of manganese, 0.08 mg of zinc. Phyto-nutrients: 71 µg of Carotene-β , 11 µg of Carotene-α, 116 µg of Crypto-xanthin-β, 129 µg of Lutein-zeaxanthin.
The benefit of oranges based on nutritional value
- Vitamin C. As antioxidant, this vitamin has a role in the formation of collagen which is a basic component of connective tissue formation in the body. The formation of collagen is necessary for the formation of ligaments, tendons, dentin, skin, blood vessels, and bones. Also assist the process of wound healing and tissue repair. Vitamin C can help prevent cell damage caused by the activity of free radical molecules. In the body, free radicals molecules oxidize protein, fatty acids, and DNA. Free radical damage has implications for the emergence of a number of diseases, like: cancer, cardiovascular, and cataracts. Recent research suggests that high intake of vitamin C from food, including fresh citrus, can prevent the increase in oxidized LDL.
- Carbohydrates (sugars and dietary fiber). Carbohydrates in orange are simple carbohydrates, which are: fructose, glucose, and sucrose. Complex carbohydrates in the form of non-starch polysaccharides (commonly known as dietary fiber) are good for health. Dietary fiber in the body will bind water-soluble nutrients in a gel-matrix, so that it can slow down the emptying of the stomach and the digestive process and absorption. It would decrease the absorption of glucose so that it can help prevent the rise in blood sugar levels. By eating a medium-size orange in one day, it can contribute significantly fill the needs of substance to the body which suggested about 25 g per day.
- Potassium. This substance has role to maintain a balance of acid and water in the body. As an important component of electrolytes, potassium plays a role in transmission of nerve impulses to muscles, the muscle contraction, and maintaining blood pressure. Potassium intake is recommended as much as 2000 mg per day. The amount of potassium can be filled with oranges. A Glass of orange juice (225 ml) provides 500 milligrams of potassium.
- Folate. Consuming food with high content of folate, such as fresh orange or in the form like juice will increase levels of folate. It will reduce homocysteine levels, which is toxic to blood vessel walls. With decreasing levels of homocysteine, the risk of cardiovascular disease is also reduced as well. Folate helps produce DNA and RNA, and maturation of red blood cells, which in turn can prevent anemia. Most of the needs of folate could be supplied from the oranges. In a glass of orange juice (225 ml) provides 75 mcg of folic acid for the body.
- Calcium. Orange as a source of vitamin C is also good to prevent certain diseases such as osteoporosis, kidney stones, impaired cognitive function, and asthma.
- Thiamine (Vitamin B1). This substance is being able to convert food into energy.
- Niacin (Vitamin B3). According some research, this substance is good to reduce the risk of getting Alzheimer's by 80 percent (Alzheimer's is a brain disorder) and to reduce the risk of dementia.
- Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6). This substance is able to increase the hemoglobin which is important for the circulation of oxygen in the body. The nutrient content is very good for treating various diseases, such as asthma, bronchitis, tuberculosis, rheumatism, kidney failure, reduce the amount of cholesterol in the body, prevent diabetes, treat arthritis, high blood pressure, and pneumonia.
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2). This substance has function to protect the body from cancer, prevent migraine, headaches and cataracts.
- Phytochemical compounds. Typical compounds in oranges have wide physiological effects and help to prevent the spread of various types of chronic diseases, including cancer and heart disease. Prevention mechanism includes the ability as an antioxidant, its effect on cell division process, increasing the activity of enzymes in eliminating carcinogens (cancer causing substances), and blocking of nitrosamine compounds.
- The best part from this fruit is free of sodium, fat, cholesterol and low calorie content.
Health benefit from orange juice
- Vitamin A in orange juice helps to maintain healthy eyes, so it looks clear and good to prevent myopic eyes.
- Vitamin C is the most widely known vitamin inside oranges. This vitamin is useful to keep the immune system to stay healthy and not affected by the disease. By drinking orange juice regularly is better than taking vitamin C pills on the market.
- Vitamin B in orange juice helps the body's metabolic processes and helping to release energy in carbohydrates which are used for the performance of nerve and brain.
- Orange juice is believed to lower bad cholesterol, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Iron is also found in orange juice, helping the formation of hemoglobin in red blood cells and avoid of anemia.
- Orange juice contains high fiber. These fibers are very useful for the body because it helps the process of digestion or prevent constipation that could potentially cause colon cancer.
- Orange juice is also rich in phosphorus and calcium able to maintain healthy bones and teeth, good to prevent osteoporosis.
- Other benefit of orange juice is rich in anti oxidants. Antioxidant substances contained in orange juice can fight free radicals in the body or we can call anti-cancer substance.
Herbal remedies of oranges peel
After eat your orange, please don't throw the orange peel. Maybe the orange peels are useful for us as herbal remedies. I'll enclose some disease can be treated by using orange peel. Here some recipes by used orange peel as herbal remedies.
- Prevent motion sickness. One hour before the car ride, take a fresh piece of orange peel and then breathe the scent of orange peel.
- Prevent frostbite (cold sore). Burn some orange peel and grind to powder, mix with vegetable oil and rub into the area is swollen because of cold weather.
- Treat bronchitis infection (inflammation of the lungs tract). Put 5 to 15 grams of orange peel into the glass, add boiling water to make a glass of "orange peel tea." Drink as often as possible.
- Treat coughs. Put the 5 grams of dried orange peel into 2 cups water and boil for 10 to 15 minutes then add some ginger and brown sugar. Drink while warm.
- Prevent constipation. Boil 12 grams of fresh orange peel, or 6 grams of dried orange peel with water for 10 to 15 minutes. Drink 2 times a day bowel obstruction.
- Treat a hangover (feeling sick at the time of waking up after drinking too much). Boil 30 grams of fresh orange peel with water for 15 to 20 minutes, add a pinch of salt and drink this directly.
- Healing pain molars. Put a small piece of fresh orange peel in your mouth for 10 minutes before you sleep. Stay inside until you feel less comfortable.
- Treat sensitive teeth. Have you ever feel your teeth become sensitive after eating an orange? Put the skin into the cup and add boiling water, cover the glass for 5 to 10 minutes and then drink immediately.
- Treat mastitis (breasts were swollen during excess milk production). Boil 30 grams of fresh orange peel and 6 grams of licorice (liquorice) with water. Drink twice a day.
- Eliminate bad breath. Chewing a small piece of fresh orange peel can eliminate bad breath.
- Eliminate allergy symptoms after eating fish and crabs. Boil a few slices of fresh orange peel with water and drink.
- Stop vomiting and abdominal pain cure. Boil a few pieces of orange peel, fresh ginger together with water and drink.
- Prevent breathlessness. Add boiling water into a glass of fresh orange peel, cover for 10 minutes, and add the sugar before you drink it.
- Treat digestive problems. Soak 50 grams of orange peel with a white wine for about 20 days, this is very good for digestion, dizziness and vomiting. If you eat too many fatty foods and feel the heat in, try this way.
- Lack of appetite. Take a fresh orange peel and jemurlah until dry. Combine the orange skin with green tea. When you're no appetite, add the cooking water and stir into a glass like "orange peel tea."
- Treat inflammation of the pancreas. Boil 30 grams of orange peel and 10 grams of licorice (liquorice) with water.
- Cold and flu. Boil some orange peel and fresh ginger in water for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, add the brown sugar, and drink like tea. This method can treat a cold, flu, vomiting and coughing.
The world’s largest oranges
I got this information after search about two days and the result is Taiwan succeed in developed the largest oranges in the world. This country is successfully breeding a new type of orange. This orange with specialist surnamed Huang after 15 years of research. They called this orange with “The King”. With weighs about 0.6kg and measures 10.5cm in diameter. This fruit is almost larger than a person's face. Who is the person behind this innovation? Huang Ah-hsien has developed the world’s largest orange in the world. In his career of more than 20 years, he has created hybrids with 170 kinds of oranges. “The King” itself came from a hybrid of Japanese and American oranges. It’s the newest orange varieties as a symbol of good fortune for the Chinese New Year with sweet and sour taste. Do you want to try this orange?
Products made from oranges
There are many product made by oranges in the market. Like: orange juice, frozen orange juice concentrate, sweet orange oil (we can found this in varies product, such as: flavouring of food and drink, or fragrance in aromatherapy and perfume), orange leaves to make a tea product. But do you know, what is the largest orange-producing nation in the world? The best answer is Brazil.
World largest orange display
World largest orange display took about 5 hours to build, and it has been worked by 20 volunteers and 4 truckloads of oranges. This display is located at Fresh Market in Centerville. Please enjoy the video below!
"Orange World" in Florida, USA
There’s a huge oranges in the world. It isn’t the real orange, but it’s a store with outer appearance like a huge orange on the top (technically, it’s a sixty-foot fiberglass dome). We can visit this store cross the border from Georgia or Alabama, USA. It called “Eli's Orange World” as the world’s largest orange, though it is only the top half of an orange. It’s a family-owned business, start from 1973. They sell a variety of fresh fruit, jellies, candies, souvenirs, gifts, and freshly-squeezed orange juice. Wow……Yummy. Based on trusted information, from the mid-1908s, there were orange groves behind the store. Orange world is a home for delicious "Florida citrus" fans and vacationers. The most popular oranges are the honey bell tangelos. These oranges are available only between January and early March.
BONUS, Please enjoy the recipe below!
You can also read:
More by this Author
In non-banana growing countries like the west, or non-tropical countries in the northern hemisphere of Asia, the banana is an imported food item consisting of only one type
From the 60 countries which have winter season. Only several countries have beautiful scenery when the snow comes.
The first time I never thought that Russia has many beautiful tourism places to visit. Russia is a country which stretches along Eastern Europe and northern Asia.