All About Strawberries
Who doesn’t know this fruit? I believe that the people around the world know this fruit very well. The fruit with the scientific name is Fragaria X ananassa can be found in almost every country. Plants are classified as herbal fruit was first found in Chile. And then it bred well in North America for the type of Fragaria Virginiana as the famous one and South America, Chile. One of well-known species is Fragaria Chilioensis L which spread to various parts of the world such as America, Europe and Asia as well. Fragaria name was taken from the word "Fragans" which means the fragrant of strawberry fruit.
Strawberry can not only be eaten directly, but can also be used as a cake decoration or material base to make drinks and so on. Red color is very pretty tempting because the content of anthocyanin pigments and antioxidants as well. I heard that strawberries have ranked as the 50 best antioxidant sources among commonly eaten foods, it's to be quite exceptional. From this hub I’ll describe more about strawberries for our knowledge. Curious? Please, continue to read!
A little history of Strawberries
Do you know why strawberry made as a symbol of love in ancient Greece? Whether because of its shape like a heart? Apparently wasn’t like that. Strawberry became the symbol of love by the ancient Greek society because of the color, flavor and benefits of this fruit. Since then the fruit is to be famous. In terms of physical appearance is beautiful, seductive, feminine, sensitive and sweet, like a woman. So, many people call strawberry is the "love's fruit". Hmm.....
Some of the etymology of Strawberry word, such as; gardener activity by using "straw" to grow fruit and protects it from decay or can also be derived from the Anglo-Saxon era in which the verb of "Strew" has meaning to spread in surroundings, and "Streabergen" (Strea means "sown" and Bergen means the seeds or fruits). Then the following of some words like streberie, straiberie, strauberie, straubery, strauberry, and finally became "Strawberry". The name is presumably due to the fact that the seeds of the fruit are sowed on the ground.
In 1714, a French engineer sent to Chile and Peru to study about strawberries and he brought many samples back to France. The cultivation of strawberries began to be pursued in earnest until the 18th century. Now, we can find delicious strawberries because of a natural crossbreeding between the species from Chile and a neighboring North American strawberry. The result was strawberry that was large, sweet and juicy. And this is one that quickly grew in popularity in Europe. Today there are over 700 kinds of strawberries are spread all over the world and that we find in many supermarkets are modern strawberry (commercial) Fragaria x annanassa var Duchesne as the resulting from the cross of F. virgina L var Duchesne from North American with F. Chilioensis L. Var Duchesnefrom Chile.
Nutritional value of strawberries
Nutrition Value per 100 g of strawberries (Fragaria X ananassa) based on USDA National Nutrient data base are 32 Kcal of energy, 7.7 g of Carbohydrates, 0.67 g of Protein, 0.30 g of total fat, 0 mg of Cholesterol, 2.0 g of Dietary Fiber. Vitamins: 24 mcg of Folates, 0.386 mg of Niacin, 0.125 mg of Pantothenic acid, 0.047 mg of Pyridoxine, 0.022 mg of Riboflavin, 12 IU of Vitamin A, 58.8 mg of Vitamin C, 0.29 mg of Vitamin E, 2.2 mcg of Vitamin K. Electrolytes : 1 mg of Sodium, 153 mg of Potassium. Minerals : 16 mg of Calcium, 0.41 mg of Iron, 13 mg of Magnesium, 0.386 mg of Manganese, 0.14 mg of zinc, Phyto-nutrients: 7 mcg of Carotene-ß, 26 mcg of Lutein-zeaxanthin.
The benefits of strawberries for health
The fruit is red indicating that the fruit is rich in anthocyanin pigments and contain high antioxidants. Because of high antioxidants, so strawberries have a lot of benefits for health. Strawberries are rich of Vitamin C, fiber, low calorie, folate, potassium, and ellagic acid. By eating eight strawberries a day, then the needs of Vitamin C and fiber for adults has been fulfilled. Strawberry contains Vitamin C as much as 56.7 mg per 100 grams. With the substance of vitamin C, so strawberry is believed to reduce the risk of developing cancer up to 37% as released by "The Iowa Women's Health Study", in addition the strawberry is also believed to prevent breast and cervical cancer. I’ll describe the health benefits of strawberries. Like:
- Because of the concentration of high "seven antioxidants", more than other fruits and vegetables causing strawberry can be used to overcome the problems caused by free radical diseases such as cancer, stroke and aging.
- Reduce the cholesterol levels. A cup of strawberries contains about 270 milligrams of potassium. The same number with 4 grams of fiber, which helps lowering blood cholesterol levels and healthier digestive tract.
- Prevent cancer. Helped to fight the active cells of cancer because it contains ellagic acid. Vitamin A found in these fruits, can help prevent the formation of free radicals, vitamin C to keep the dangerous reaction in the cell.
- Prevent Leukemia. Strawberry is work as therapeutic effect to prevent leukemia, anemia (lack of blood) and blood diseases. Two kinds of substances contained in strawberries have the effect of blocking the growth of malignant tumors.
- Suitable for people with diabetes. This fruit contains very little of sugar so it is safe for diabetics. Anthocyanins belong to the flavonoid components. This compound makes the red pigment in strawberries. Anthocyanins have an effect in lowering blood pressure and protect the problems caused by diabetes.
- Prevent inflammation and allergies.
- Can whiten or clean the tooth surface. In addition to whitening teeth, bad breath will be gone
- Strawberry leaves contain astringent substances. Astringent substances are effective in relieving diarrhea attack. By drinking three to four cups of boiled strawberry leaves every day until diarrhea gone.
- Strawberry also may reduce the accumulation of poisons or toxins in the blood.
- Strawberry can control high blood pressure
- Strawberry contains an anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory.
- Strawberry is good for pregnant women to meet the daily requirement of folic acid.
- Strawberry which rich in vitamin C is beneficial for growing children.
The Beauty of strawberry flower
Beauty with strawberry
I believe that many women love this section. Because strawberry useful to make them look beautiful. Here some benefit of strawberry for beauty.
- Anti Aging. As a symbol of love strawberry is effective in preventing the oxidation process in the body due to free radicals. Because the content of vitamin BI, B2, C and provitamin A in strawberry can smooth the skin and makes skin tones brighter, cleaner and can prevent skin wrinkle.
- Smooth the face and make the skin color look brighter and cleaner. It is good to remove dead skin cells and opens clogged pores.
- Natural acne remedies and it tighten the skin.
- Strawberry is good for the cream bath and it can make the hair look shiny, softer, smoother and stronger.
- A unique fragrance is perfect for relaxation therapy.
Herbal remedies for beauty
- Strawberry mask to brighten skin. Blend one medium-size of strawberries, then mix one teaspoon honey and 1/2 teaspoon of plain yogurt. Rubbed on the face and neck. Avoid the eye area. Allow the strawberry mask for 30 minutes, remove by using warm water. Then rinse the face with cold water. Use once a week.
- Homemade strawberry body scrub. Strawberry Body Scrub is very useful to tighten body skin. With regular use, at least once a week. We get the smooth skin, clean and tight. Prepare 5 ripe strawberry, 3 tablespoons of pure honey, 3 tablespoons sugar and 3 tablespoons of baking soda. Blend all ingredients by adding 1/2 cup water. Apply on the entire body. Wait until dry and then shower and rinse your thoroughly body.
- Fresh radiance faces. Mash the strawberry, strain and take the water. Then add a little fresh milk. Rubbed on the face that feels tired and dull. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse with warm water and then rinse again with rose water. Do this treatment before bed, at least once a week.
- Tooth whitening. A big strawberry and mashed, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Combine strawberries with baking soda. Apply the mixture using finger on your teeth. Let stand for 3 or 5 minutes. After that, brush your teeth as usual. Do this treatment at least once a week.
Strawberries for pregnant woman
Strawberry is a popular fruit. Fruit that has a sweet and slightly sour taste is not only suitable as a healthy snack, but it also has many benefits, especially for pregnant women. Eight strawberries or chunks a cup strawberry contains only 50 calories and contains no cholesterol or fatty acids. The same number also provides 30 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid. This is equivalent to 7.5 percent of the daily requirement of folic acid for pregnant woman that is 400 ug. Folic acid is essential to prevent neural defects in fetus. Several benefits of strawberry for pregnant women are: As the intake of vitamin C is safe for the stomach acid levels, by consuming a cup of strawberry a day can reduce the risk of cervical, breast and throat cancer. Meet the daily requirement of folic acid. Folic acid is one of several types of vitamin B that is useful for the body. According to WHO recommendation, adults need 400 micrograms of folic acid per day, while pregnant women need at least 800 micrograms of folic acid per day. Folic acid intake is very important for pregnant women. Folic acid has several benefits. Folic acid is one of several types of vitamin B that is essential for the body. Folic acid has several benefits, including: role in the formation of DNA in erithropoesis (the formation of red blood cells or erythrocytes) and the development of the nervous system, prevents anemia, prevent the fetus who has a low birth weight, reduce the risk of premature birth.
White Strawberry, the uniqueness of Strawberry
Have you ever heard about white strawberry? Or this is the first time you heard and see about this fruit. We called this fruit as Pineberries. This fruit looks like a strawberry but with a pineapple flavor. Pineberries will be sold in 45 branch of Waitrose supermarket. Waitrose itself is an upmarket chain of supermarkets in the United Kingdom. I heard that this fruit was found in South America and was saved from extinction by a Dutch farmer. At Waitrose, a round basket (containing about 125 pieces) sold of £ 3.99. Interested?
The World’s Biggest and the Most Expensive Strawberry
This is a strawberry with the same price with “Blackberry” smart phone. A single strawberry has the price about $550. We called this “Bijin Hime”. It’s totally a unique strawberry which produced in the Gifu Province, Haneshima City, Japan. Bijin Hime means the beautiful princesses. It has weight about 80 grams. A pack of "Bijin Hime" consists 4 up to 5 pieces. It took about 30 years of research to make this giant strawberry. Wow…..it must be sweet and juicy.
Strawberries farm (another recreational idea)
After googling and search from around the website I hear that United States is the world's leading producer of strawberries. This country produce for both the fresh and frozen market of strawberries. In 2010, USA produce about 1,292,780 tonnes of strawberries, it's about 30.74% from total of world production and followed by Turkey, Spain, Egypt, and South Korea. Back to topic, there are many strawberry farms in the world. I just took two examples here.
"Strawberry city", this farm is located in 5384 NC Hwy 58 South. Nashville, NC 27856. The phone number is 252-904-5594. At this farm, we can join the strawberries fieldtrips for kids. The fieldtrips consist fun activities, like: strawberry picking, mini-lesson on strawberry farming, “Strawberry Time” (coloring strawberries), enjoying fresh strawberry ice cream, take a picture with “Mr. Strawberry”. Strawberry field trip package cost about $5.00 per child.
Chun Hsiang Strawberry Farm. This farm is located in Fuxing Village, Dahu County, Miaoli, Taiwan. This place is beautiful surrounded by by lush mountains. Chun Hsiang is one of several farm options on the main road of Dahu, I mean “pick-your-own strawberry farm”. Dahu produces around 90% of all the strawberries in Taiwan and the best time to visit Dahu is January and February, though strawberry season in Dahu runs from December up to early May. We can find various products of strawberries, like: strawberry soda, candy, egg rolls, strawberries jam, strawberry sausages, ice cream, noodles, and so on. There's a Strawberry Cultural Hall in Dahu. This hall consists of a shop (this shop selling all kinds of strawberry goods), a restaurant and small museum. We can learn about the history of strawberries in Dahu at the museum. W can also find strawberry statue as the icon of Dahu.
Strawberry Cultural Hall and "Dahu" Strawberry Museum
We should remember!
To store this fruit should be careful, because the strawberry is not the fruit that can be retained for long periods even in the refrigerator. Strawberries retain their maximum amount of nutrients when they are enjoyed fresh. When it is processed normally the nutrient content will reduced. The nutrients inside strawberries (including vitamins, antioxidants, and enzymes) are unable to withstand with the temperature about 350°F or 175°C used in baking.
Strawberries may cause allergic reaction for sensitized individual. The common symptoms of strawberry allergy, like: swelling and redness of lips, mouth and tongue, hives, eczema, headache, skin rash, runny nose, wheezing, itchy eyes, gastrointestinal disturbances, insomnia, hyperactivity and depression, . Individuals with allergy of strawberry may want to avoid.
Inspired by strawberry
The Largest Strawberry Cake
World's Largest Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry Waffles Recipe
- 20 Strawberry fruit and slices
- 100 gr flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50 grams sugar
- 150 ml of liquid milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 25 gr melted butter
- 1 egg white, beaten stiff
Mix the flour, baking powder, vanilla powder, sugar and salt. Stir all the ingredients. Add milk and egg yolks and stir well. Enter the melted butter and beaten egg whites until stiff. Stir again and let stand for 20 minutes.
Grease the waffle iron with a little butter. Pour the waffle batter, and bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Remove and serve waffles with fresh strawberry topping.
- 7-8 pieces of fresh Strawberry
- 100 cc of liquid milk
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream / strawberry
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 ice cubes
Cut the strawberries into pieces. Blend Strawberry into blender machine and all above ingredients until smooth. Pour into glasses. Strawberry milkshake
ready to drink (For 2 glasses).
You can also read:
More by this Author
This private jets usually equipped with super-luxurious furniture according the owner's taste. Which makes the journey of these super-rich people feel comfortable.
From the 60 countries which have winter season. Only several countries have beautiful scenery when the snow comes.
The first time I never thought that Russia has many beautiful tourism places to visit. Russia is a country which stretches along Eastern Europe and northern Asia.