Alzheimer’s Care Options in Orange County
Alzheimer's disease attacks memory, the thinking process and influences behavior. Symptoms often develop slowly and gradually worsen. Over time they become severe enough to hinder daily tasks. It's different than the normal forgetfulness that comes with aging and accounts for 50-80% of dementia cases. It's a progressive disease and the amount and type of care needed to care for patients changes as the disease progresses. Alzheimer's care options in Orange County are available to meet this need.
During the early stages of Alzheimer's many families choose to care for their loved one in their homes. Family members often become caregivers, but as the disease progresses other solutions are often necessary. Often an in-home caregiver professional is hired to provide the quality care and services needed to meet day-to-day needs like providing meals, light housekeeping, help with dressing and bathing, and keep an eye on your loved one to be sure they don't wander off.
Alzheimer's Day Care
If you have a loved one with Alzheimer's that you're caring for in your home, but need help during the day while you go to work, Alzheimer's day care is an alternative to having a caregiver come into your home. The Alzheimer's Family Services Center (AFSC) has offered this service for the last 30 years. They are licensed by the California Department of Public Health, and as of the writing of this article are the only Alzheimer's Day Care Resource Center in Orange County. Services include dementia-specific adult day health care along with support services to aid caregivers.
Assisted Living Long Term Care Facilities
Assisted living offers people with Alzheimer's an environment designed to keep them safe, provide assistance with daily tasks, and establish a routine to help residents live as independently as possible. Long-term care facilities also provide skilled nursing care. This list of facilities can help jump start your search for Alzheimer’s care options in Orange County.
- Sun & Sea Manor: Provides a homelike environment aimed at caring for Alzheimer's and other memory impaired populations. Offers 24/7 care with a full-time nursing staff.
- Ashton Court: This is a dedicated area of The Fountain senior assisted living community designed to meet needs of residents with Alzheimer's or memory loss. Around the clock care is supervised by a licensed nurse.
- Hollybrook Senior Living at Orange: Provides assisted living and Alzheimer’s memory care. This facility employs nurses on staff and has a doctor on call.
- ACE, Advanced Care for the Elderly: A residential care facility that provides personal care in a home environment. The licensee is a Registered Nurse and former Patients' Right Advocate, with years of experience in gero-psychiatric care including Alzheimer's and dementia.
- Sunrise of Tustin: This assisted living community is nestled in the foothills of Tustin. They offer assisted living and Alzheimer’s memory care. They have nurses on staff, a doctor on call and for those who own a cat or dog, they do accept pets.
- Assisted Living Options in Los Angeles
Finding the right assisted living home or care facility takes time and research, so get started.
- Senior Board and Care Homes in California
Retirement facilities that include assisted living, whether in a large hotel-like setting or in a smaller home-type atmosphere, are considered board and care homes in California.
Get an Assessment
Looking for the right housing arrangement for a loved one with Alzheimer's can be a daunting task. A geriatric assessment can help identify your loved one's specific needs to help narrow your search for the care they need. As you research Alzhiemer's care facilities in Orange County, take time to see what others have to say about the facility. Contact those with positive reviews and talk with them about the various housing options and services they offer and ask whether or not medical care is offered. When you find a place you think will work ask about a waiting list and if they have one, be sure to add your loved one's name.
More by this Author
Baby cockatiels grow from an inch-long hatchling to adult size in just six weeks. It takes 8-10 days for their eyes to open, but the color of their eyes...even closed eyes offer a clue as to the baby's future color.
If you want to build a bird cage, you need a plan, materials and one more thing...a knowledge of birds and their special needs.
Bird owners have mixed feelings about wing clipping. Is it mean to clip your bird's wings? After all they are born to fly. To answer that question, let's take a closer look at how to clip wings and the reasons it is...
No comments yet.