Amazing Benefits of Surya Namaskara
What is Surya Namaskara?
Surya Namaskara (Sun Salutation) is an ancient form of holistic yoga exercises consisting of 12 graceful steps.
Surya Namaskara works equally on our mind, body and soul, and thus provides us with physical and mental health with sharp intellect. 95% to 97% of our body muscles become active while doing Surya Namaskar, and will remain active throughout the day. Daily practise of these exercises keep us in perfect health. The sun is venerated because it is the central source of energy in our solar system.
While performing Surya Namaskar one should think nothing, except the Sun God and our full attention should be concentrated on our posture. It is a graceful sequence of twelve Yoga positions performed as one continuous exercise.
Synchronizing the breath with the movements of the body is very important. Each step flows into the next step in a graceful and continuous movement and is performed facing the rising sun, chanting the slokas (Surya Namaskara Mantra).
Who should not practice Surya Namaskara?
- Pregnant women should not practice after first 3 months.
- People with high blood pressure or heart disease should consult physicians.
- People with back pain should consult physician.
- Women should avoid Surya Namaskar during menses.
Benefits of practising Sun Salutation
- Regular practice of Surya Namaskara promotes blood circulation in the body and hence helps to maintain the cardiovascular system of the body.
- Helps to lose extra calories and reduce fat. It helps to stay thin. Practicing Surya Namaskar is the easiest way to be in shape.
- Sun Salutation helps in making the joints and ligaments stronger in order to carry the body weight without much effort.
- Eliminates unpleasant smells from the body.
- Surya Namaskar helps to cope with insomnia and related disorders. Surya Namaskar practice calms the mind, thus helps to get sound sleep.
- The combination of backward and forward movements also ensures that your digestive system is on track and helps in curing constipation and other digestion related problems.
- Improves the entire endocrine system and regulates the functioning of endocrine glands.
- Tones up the nervous system and improves memory.
- Refreshes the skin, and prevents Skin disorders.
- Prevents loss of hair and premature greying.
- For women, those who suffer from irregular menstrual cycles, practising Surya Namaskar regulates the cycle.
- Above all, regular practice of Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation) makes you feel good, healthy, strong, efficiency and longevity.
More info on Sun Salutation
- Surya Namaskara Pictures
Surya Namaskaraa Pictures step by step is shown here.
- Surya Namaskara Mantra
Surya Namaskara is saluting Sun God, by bowing to Him in 12 steps and 12 rounds. Surya Namaskar is performed in open air, facing the sun, at sunrise. It is beneficial to practice Surya Namaskar early in...
- The Health Benefits of Surya Namaskar
If you're looking for a simple, enjoyable way to start your day that provides a diverse range of health benefits, consider practicing Surya Namaskar. Surya Namaskar is a special sequence of yoga postures and...
More by this Author
Learn about this magic herb called kizha nelli (Phyllanthus niruri) and its wonderful uses.
Thinking of adding flax seed to your diet? Find out about the various health benefits of flax seeds, and information about how to use them.
Like any other country, India too has got her own beliefs and superstitions.