Health Benefits Of Grapes And Grape Juice Benefits
Table Of Contents
- History Of Grapes And General Information
- Uses Of Grapes
- Grape Seeds & Grape Seed Extracts
- Some Facts About Grapes
- Nutrients In Grapes
- Nutritional Levels In Grapes
- Health Benefits Of Grapes
- Health Benefits Of Grapes In Specific Health Conditions
- Grape Juice Benefits
- Some Of My hubs On Healthy Foods
- Some Good Links On Grapes
History Of Grapes And Other Information
The grape plant is a woody vine of the genus Vitis. Most grapes come from the vine, Vitis vinifera.
Grapes have been grown in Asia for about 7000 to 8000 years. Currently 90 % of the grapes grown in the US come from California.
Grapes are round or oval berries having a translucent skin and flesh. They may be with or without seeds. The colours of the grapes vary from green to yellow, pink to red and crimson and purple to dark blue to black. The so called white grapes are in fact green grapes.
Grapes are a healthy fruit full of antioxidants, beneficial for the healthy and strength giving one for the those sick. In complicated and severe disease where a patient is not given anything to eat or drink, grape diet is advised. Grapes are best eaten alone.
Dry grapes are called Raisins when made from yellow, ripe grapes.
Currants are dried larger black grapes.
Sultanas is a raisin made from white grapes or red grapes that have been bleached.
When fresh grapes are not available, raisins or currants can be consumed.
Other species from which lesser quantities of the fruit come from are
- Vitis labrusca - a North American vine. The fruit is used to make wine and is eaten as a fruit also.
- Vitis riparia - a wild vine of North America. The fruit is used to make wine and jams.
- Vitis rotundifolia - a vine of Southeast US. The fruits are used in jam and wine making.
- Vitis amurensis - a vine of Asia.
Seedless grapes have a lower health value due to the absence of seeds which are rich in phytochemicals.
Uses Of Grapes
Grapes are eaten raw or used in making jam, jelly, juice, vinegar, wine, raisins, molasses, and grape seed oil.
Grape Seeds And Grape Seed Extracts
Grape seed extracts are a very concentrated source of Vitamin E, flavonoids, linoleic acid & oligomeric pro anthocyanidin complex, medically referred to as OPCs. OPCs are extremely powerful antioxidants.
These very nutrients are present in the grape skin but in much lower concentrations.
Grape seed extracts are thought to be beneficial in a variety of health issues pertaining to damage due to free radicals like heart disease, diabetes, and cancer to name a few. They are also beneficial against bacterial infections.
The flavonoids lower LDL cholesterol. The OPCs may reduce symptoms of chronic venous insuffiency like accumulation of blood in the legs and consequent pain, swelling and tiredness and visible veins, edema due to injury or surgery, growth of cancer of some organs, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
Other conditions where grape seed extract may is suggested are Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, night blindness, hemorrhoids, prevention of damaging effects of oxidation due to free radicals.
Grape seed extracts interact with certain medications. The OPCs may interact with blood thinners or anticoagulants and phenacetin.
Always consult your doctor or medical practitioner before you start taking grape seed extracts.
Some Facts About Grapes
The sugar in grapes is easily digestible. Grapes purify blood, give energy to the heart and help reduce anaemia.
Raw grapes are green and sour but on ripening the colour changes to greenish yellow or purple/ black depending on the variety.
Grapes are plucked half ripe from the plant and boxed to the markets. They ripen on the way due to the environmental temperature.
Unripe grapes take a long time to digest, can cause throat infection and are hot in nature.Consumption of large quantities of unripe grapes can cause nosebleed and even blood in stools. Ripe grapes when consumed help in clear bowel evacuation, improves eyesight,clears the voice and improves digestion. These are some beneficts of grapes.
Grapes Nutritional Benefits
- Grapes contains the antioxidant reservatrol. The concentration of reservatrol in the seeds and skin is about 100 times higher, than in the flesh. They also contain anthocyanins and other phenolic compounds like ellagic acid, quercetin, kaempferol and myricetin.
- Grapes contain high levels of Vitamin C, K and copper, good levels of vitamin B6, B2, B1 iron and potassium. They are free of cholesterol.
- Grape skin contains loads of beta carotene, lycopene, ellagic acid, reservatrol and sulphur compounds.The seeds contain tannins, polyphenols and poly unsaturated fatty acids.
- Grape seed oil contains high levels of vitamin E, phytosterols and the poly unsaturated fatty acids linoleic acid, alpha linoleic acid and oleic acid.
Nutritional Levels In Grapes
Grapes, red or green
(European type, Thompson seedless),
Nutritive Value per 100 g,
ORAC Value 3,277(Source: USDA National Nutrient data base)
Percentage of RDA
Health Benefits Of Grapes
- The ORAC value ( Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity ) of grapes is more than twice than that of pomegranates, more than thrice than that of blueberries and blackberries and more than four times than that found in strawberries as can be seen from the chart alongside.
- Grapes protect against cancer of the prostrate and colon, heart diseases, Alzheimer's disease, viral and fungal Infections due to the phyochemical reservatrol in them.
- They offer anti inflammatory, anti allergic, anti bacterial benefits due to their anthocyannins contents.
- Grapes are low in calories with zero cholesterol making it ideal for obese people to consume.
- Grapes improve blood circulation, prevent blood clots thus reducing risk of strokes and reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, prevent artherosclerosis and lower blood pressure.
- Prevents and removes bladder and kidney stones and detoxifies the liver and kidneys by removing the waste matter.
- Relieves constipation if taken daily, benefits in eye diseases like macular degeneration, prevents cataract and prevents night blindness and improves vision.
- Benefits in asthma, migraine and digestive problems like indigestion reduces fever and fatigue.
Health Benefits Of Grapes In Specific Health Conditions
Grapes can be consumed as they are or grape juice can be consumed.Either way apart from being an amazing help in diseases, grapes are good for heath. Some of the health benefits of grapes in different diseases are:
1. In Migraine
Drinking 1 cup of Grape juice before sunrise daily . It relieves migraine headache.
2. In Teething In Toddlers
At the 1st sign of teething give the child 2 spoons of fresh Grape juice daily.It eases teething and alleviates problems during dentition. Honey can be added to taste. The Grapes should be sweet.
3. In Increasing Breast Milk
Consuming Grapes is good for increasing milk production in lactating females.
4. Aversion To Intoxicants
Eating Grapes regularly removes the tendency to consume tea, coffee, tobacco and alcohol.
5. In Arthritis
Grapes reduce uric acid levels .Excess uric acid causes body joint pains. Grapes should be consumed early morning.
Some more benefits of grapes are:
6. In Nosebleed
Juice of sweet Grapes when taken in through the nose stops nosebleed .
It has seen practically that consuming Grapes regularly for some weeks sharpens our 5 senses, dull eyes exude a new sparkle, listless hair becomes lustrous,face radiates a new glow and the voice becomes stronger.
The gums and teeth become firmer .
8. In Constipation
1 spoon of Grape juice regulates bowel movement in any case of constipation in small children.
9.In Scanty Urine Or Suppression Of Urine
Take 3 pieces of dry Currants ( Munakka) from which seeds have been removed. Fix a whole Black Pepper seed in the Currant and consume at night. In a few days relief will be experienced.
10. In Heart Pain and Increased Heartbeat
Grape juice consumed in such a situation helps to lessen Angina pain and regulates the heart beat.
Points To Note
If large quantity of grapes are consumed it can cause stomach spasms and blood and mucus to be expelled during bowel movement. Therefore, though Grapes are highly beneficial and recommended, never consume Grapes in large quantities.
250 gms of Grapes at one time can safely be consumed by a healthy person. It can be repeated 2 or 3 times a day if consumed for a specific purpose.
Always consume fresh Grape Juice rather than getting the tetra packed or tinned variety.
Grape Juice Benefits
Grape Juice Benefits
Grape juice benefits in many health conditions, some of which are:
- Reduces migraine. Drink 1 cup early in the morning. Do not add sugar.
- Benefits in asthma.
- Boosts immunity.
- Controls age related conditions like Alzheimer's.
- Purifies blood and flushes out toxins.
- Reduces LDL cholesterol and increases HDL cholesterol due to its flavonoid contents.
- The reservatrol content prevents tumor formation and prevents cancer.
- Grape juice increases the levels of nitric oxide in the body which prevents formation of clots in the blood vessels.
- Reduces blood pressure.
- The antioxidants repair damaged cells and are anti aging.
Some good links
- Cranberry and Grape Face Mask by Hubber Susie HQ
A fresh fruit face mask is simple and quick to make at home. Cranberries are one of the highest antioxidant rich fruits which combine with vitamin, nutrient and mineral rich grapes perfectly on skin.
- Growing Grapes in Northern Climates
Advice for cultivating hardy grape varieties in northern climates. Planting guide, problem solver and gallery of photos. Includes list of cold hardy varieties for wine, table grapes and those for jam and jelly.
- Why can’t dogs eat grapes?
Ten dogs were rushed to an animal clinic because of food poisoning. Three were put to sleep because they have been non-responsive to treatments. Two died. The other five survived because of aggressive medical procedures. The toxic culprit? The...
Some of my other hubs on healthy foods
- Health Benefits Of Pineapple
Pineapple is a juicy fruit with atropical flavor and a sweet and tarty taste. Second only to bananas in popularity, this fruit is full of health giving benefits. Read on to find more...
- Benefits Of Mulberry Plant - Morus Alba And Mulberries
Mulberries are full of health giving nutrients including antioxidants. Apart from the silk which the cocoons offer to us, this colourful fruit has immense uses with all parts of the tree being useful. To know more about the various health benefits of
- Raspberry Fruit And Its Health Benefits
Raspberry heads the list of berries having the highest ORAC value which means it is the most effective anti oxidant aid in prevention of cancer, heart disease, macular degeneration of the eye and other diseases due to free radicals. To know more abou
- 6 Amazing Benefits Of Sesame Oil
Sesame and sesame oil is a health food. sesame oil is much used in Ayurvedic medicines because of its many health giving properties. To know how you can benefit from using sesame oil, read on...
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements or embarking on a new health regime.
Health Benefits Of Grapes
© 2011 Rajan Singh Jolly
More by this Author
Onions are so commonly used in almost all dishes that we are not aware of the immense health benefits they offer. To know more, read on.
Watermelon is a very healthy fruit—in moderation. It is a good source of potassium and vitamins. Side effects of over-eating, however, include diarrhea and intestinal disturbances.
Chia seeds, the wonder food, also called the "Running Food" was much used by the ancient Aztec and Mayan people not only as a food but for its amazing benefits.