Health Benefits And Uses Of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is an edible oil derived from the meat of matured coconuts. It has various applications in food, medicines and industry. It contains lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid which has antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties. This might help to reduce bacteria, fungus and the viruses in the body. The American Heart Association states that intake of foods high in saturated fats should be limited. Saturated fat intake may raise cholesterol levels which can put you increased risk of heart disease. Although it is high in saturated fat, coconut oil contains heart-healthy fats that are important for brain function and overall growth. Coconut oil is cholesterol-free, but it is still a saturated fat that needs to be limited in the diet and if you are looking for real health benefits. It is used largely in tropical countries including India, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Philippines. Here are some of the health benefits and uses of coconut oil.
Health benefits of Coconut oil:
- Keep your hair shiny and builds hair strength
- You can use as a deep conditioning treatment
- Helpful in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections
- Used as a medicinal treatment for dandruff and scalp problems
- Delays wrinlkes and sagging skin
- Helps your hair free from lice
- Effective moisturizer on all types of skin
- Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
- Prevent nose bleeds
- Improve immune system
- Provides long lasting energy
- Reduces risk of atherosclerosis and heart disease
- Heat resistant
Health benefits and uses of coconut oil:
1. Coconut oil and hair care: Coconut oil is one of the best hair treatments for a wide variety of hair issues. It helps in healthy growth of hair and gives your hair a shiny quality. It is safe to use and virtually free from harsh chemicals and other additives. Regular oil use of coconut oil can help prevent hair loss by encouraging hair growth. You can find coconut oil at a variety of grocery stores, drug stores, health stores and organic food stores. When you buy coconut oil, look for the organic, unrefined and extra virgin coconut oil. It is better to stay away from hydrogenated oil or oil that has been treated with heat, solvents or bleach. It is also effective by reducing protein loss from the hair shaft.
2. Coconut oil controls dandruff: For dandruff treatment, you can take small amount of coconut oil into your scalp and allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes. To increase the effectiveness of the treatment, cover with a shower cap and wrap your hair in a hot towel. Shampoo the oil out of your hair after the treatment.
It also relieves itching and chaffing due to lice and dandruff. Medium chain fatty acids is a primary fat molecule present in coconut oil help to kill Malassezia globosa. It is a dandruff causing yeasing like fungus that lives on the scalp.
Damaged hair: If your hair is more damaged and brittle, you can do a deep conditioning treatment. Rub the coconut oil into damp hair and scalp and wrap it in a towel or shower cap overnight. Wash the oil out with shampoo in the morning.
3. Dry skin: Coconut is used to improve dry skin. It is rich in vitamin E which helps dryness and flaking associated with conditions such as psoriasis, eczema and dermatitis. It also helps to prevent wrinkles.
Health benefits and uses of coconut oil:
4. Coconut oil and cooking: It adds flavors to many foods in the kitchen. You can use this oil as a flavoring agent for baking, vegetable dishes, oatmeal, eggs, stir fry, smoothies and popcorn. It helps improve the digestive system and also in the absorption of certain minerals, vitamins and amino acids.
5. Coconut oil and acne: You can apply small amount to the affected area until symptoms get better.
6. Bone and dental health: Coconut oil is greatly beneficial to bone and dental health. It helps you to absorb important minerals such as calcium and magnesium which is important for bone health. The improved calcium absorption created by coconut oil might stop tooth decay and support in the development of strong teeth.
7. Fights infections: Coconut oil contains anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties that make it useful for medicinal use. It might help fight viruses such as herpes, HIV, flu, mononucleosis, and bacteria that cause sore throats, pneumonia and infections. Coconut oil is helps to heal bruises, strains and sore muscles.
8. Coconut oil and glowing skin: You can use coconut oil as a skin lotion due to its moisturizing and smoothing effects.
9.Immune system: It may strengthen your immune system, because it is packed with 45 percent lauric acid, the immune supporting nutrient.
How to use organic coconut oil in cooking and health benefits:
What is your favorite use of coconut oil?See results without voting
More by this Author
Coumadin is a medicine prescribed for people at increased risk of forming blood clots. It reduces the formation of blood clots by blocking the formation of certain clotting factors. It is used to prevent heart...
Acid reflux Acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition in which acid in the stomach rises up into the esophagus. Acid reflux can cause heartburn and other symptoms. Acid reflux...
Listed here are some of the foods you can't eat with Diverticulitis that you can use as a reference or as a starting point for more research. Diverticulitis is swelling of an abnormal pouch in the intestinal wall....
No comments yet.