Analyzing Dreams: What Does My Dream Mean?
Why Should We Analyze Our Dreams?
I have always been fascinated with dreams. Even my strangest of dreams I have often stopped and wondered what they could mean. I recently I had a long discussion with a couple of my closest friends. During this time we spoke about some of our funniest, strangest, and scariest dreams. We also discussed what each of these dreams may mean. To our surprise most of the dreams that we could still recall had occurred during a time of stress in our lives. We had all decided that these stressful moments in our lives actually had something to do with why we had experienced these dreams. It all seemed to add up.
Due to this recent discussion with my friends. I had decided to make a Hub about analyzing dreams in order to help others figure out why they are having the dreams they are. I feel that once you know the reason for the dream you realize just how much impact a certain life event has made on you. After this realization it is possible to work on correcting this life stressor.
There are many common dream symbols that we have all encountered in our dreams at some point or another. Most of these symbols do have a common meaning associated with them. However, analyzing your dreams according to the meaning of each significant symbol in your dream may not be accurate. The truth is each symbol may have a different meaning for someone else depending on their life circumstances.
Luckily for you though these are still COMMON symbols seen in dreams and sometimes do have the same meaning you are reading about online.
Common Dream Symbols and Their Meanings
- Abandonment- If someone or everyone has abandoned you somehow in your dreams. The common meaning for this is that it is time to let go of your past. Your past is preventing you from moving forward.
- Abduction- Whether it be by aliens or people. Being abducted in a dream usually means that you are feeling out of control of your own life.
- Accident- If you dream you have been in some sort of accident. This usually means that you are feeling guilty about something. And are continuously punishing yourself for it. An accident may also represent a mistake that you have made. And of course these dreams may appear if you actually suffer from great fears of being in an accident. For example, if you have a fear of flying you may dream you are in a plane crash.
- Angels – As usual an angel signifies good and purity. They may been seen guiding you onto the correct path in life.
- Animals- Every animal may have a slightly different meaning. It is important to look into what that particular animal may mean in your dream. In general, animals in your dreams may represent instinctual actions, emotions and survival.
- Blood- If you are bleeding excessively in a dream it may mean that you feel as if someone is draining you dry.
- Baby- Seeing a baby in your dream may mean that you feel vulnerable. Or that you are longing for love. And maybe some sort of new beginning.
- Cars- Seeing or driving a car in your dream may represent a sense of being in control or freedom.
- Clothes- Seeing clothes in your dream may be a look at how you feel others see you. Or even how you see yourself.
- Death- Dreaming about death does not usually foretell the future suggesting that someone’s life is coming to an end. But more so that there is a change in your life and that something is coming/has come to an end. Usually a new beginning is just around the corner. If you see someone you know dead. This usually has something to do with your relationship with that person.
- Drowning – Drowning in your dreams may represent that you are feeling overwhelmed by something, or that you are drowning in your emotions.
- Eating/Food- May say that you are feeding yourself with knowledge.
- Falling- To dream that you are falling may mean that you feel out of control, or that you are afraid to let go of something/someone.
- Fire- Seeing fire in your dream may mean that a life transformation has begun. Or is in the near future. It also may represent passion and sexuality. Fire has also been associated with anger.
- Hair- May represent your thoughts, feelings and emotions that are seen and/or felt by others.
- Hands- Washing your hands in a dream usually means that you are guilty of something and are trying to wash it away. Or seeing hands in your dream may symbolize one’s ability to do something, create something, help someone/something, or heal someone/something.
- House/Building- If you see some sort of building in your dreams this usually represents yourself.
- Knot- Seeing a knot in your dream may indicate that you feel trapped/restrained and are unable to accomplish what you want or need to.
- Money- Money in a dream often represents your own self-worth.
- Mountains- Climbing a mountain in a dream may represent your accomplishments. Looking at mountains may represent the choices that you need to make.
- Nude- Dreaming that you are nude may represent that you feel vulnerable and fear that you will be exposed to others.
- People- People are often a representation of one’s self. Each person in your dream may possess characteristics of yourself.
- Roads- If you see a road or roads in your dreams it may mean that you need to pick a path to follow in life. There may be a goal at the end of the road. Or if there is a fork in the road the dreamer needs to make a decision of which path to follow.
- School or Student- May represent a lesson that is needed to be learned.
- Teacher- May represent learning and guidance.
- Tree- A tree in your dreams may represent knowledge or spiritual growth.
- Water- Seeing water in a dream represents the mind or unconscious self.
- Weather- The current weather conditions in a dream may represent the emotions you are currently experiencing.
Analyze Your Dream
- Dream Analyzer
Have a dream that needs analyzed?
- Quiz: What Dreams Mean, Nightmares, Recurring Dreams, Remembering Dreams
What do your dreams and nightmares say about you? Take this WebMD quiz and find out.
Common Dreams and Their Meanings
The Naked Dream- One of the most common dreams around is the one where you find yourself naked and vulnerable. The dream often symbolizes your feelings of vulnerability. You are exposed and others can see who you really are. When you are wearing clothes your are able to hide your feelings, or who you really are. Without them you are left out in the open for all to see.
The Being Chased Dream- Another one of the most common dreams is the one that you are being chased by someone or something. This dream often represents your fear and/or anxiety about something in your life. If you know who or what is chasing you. You will better be able to analyze this dream.
The Dream You Are Falling- Falling in your dream does not mean that you will actually die if you do not wake up before hitting the ground. But it does represent your fears, insecurities, and feelings of being out of control.
The Losing All Your Teeth Dream- Teeth are a large part of our physical appearance. Losing all of those teeth may make you feel less attractive. And usually represents an insecurity with your physical looks. It may also mean that you fear rejection or sexual impotence.
The Dream You Are Flying- A dream that you are flying may mean that you feel above something. And that you are in control of the situation. This is usually a very happy and exciting dream an may indicate that you have gained a new perspective on life. However, if your flight is not successful it may indicate that you are feeling out of control of the situation and that there is nothing you can do.
More by this Author
When does implantation happen? And what exactly does implantation bleeding look like? Is this implantation bleeding or my period? Find these answers and more here.
A list of pregnancy tests that are the most sensitive, whether to use a blue dye or pink dye test, whether or not digital tests are less sensitive, and all about early pregnancy testing.
There are many different kinds of coughs: productive chest cough, non-productive or dry cough, whooping cough, barking cough, psychogenic cough, and reflex cough. When should you see a doctor?