Are Nachos And Cheese Really Healthy For You?Are They Linked to Health Issues
Nachos and Cheese
Nachos and Cheese - Yummy
Nachos and cheese are yummy, and they always hit the spot. Not only are they quick, easy, and filling, but delicious as well. That being said, how healthy are they really?
You May Be Surprised to Find Out!
Nutrition Facts For 1 portion Serving Size (6-8 nachos) (113.0 g)
Amount Per Serving: 346 Calories
Calories from Fat: 171 Calories
Total Fat: 19.0g - 29%
Saturated Fat: 7.8g - 39%
Total Carbohydrates: 36.3g - 12%
Vitamins: Vitamin A: 11% • Vitamin C: 2% • Calcium: 27% • Iron 7%
Cholesterol: 18mg - 6%
Sodium: 816mg - 34%
Extra Food Items: Cals Fat Carbs Protein
Cals Fat Carb Protein
Tortilla Chips: 137 (cal) 7 g (fat) 18 g (carbs) 2 g (protein)
Sour Cream: 478 g (cal) 45 g (fat) 15 g (carbs) 6 g (protein)
Lettuce: 1 (cal) 0 g(fat) 0 g (carbs) 0 g (protein)
Cheese: 532 (cal) 44g (fat) 2 g(carbs) 33 g (protein)
Salsa: 70 (cal) 0 g(fat) 16 g (carbs) 4 g (protein)
Tomatoes: 27 (cal) 0 g (fat) 6 g (carbs) 1 g (protein)
Re-fried Beans: 217 (cal) 3 g (fat) 36 g (carbs) 13 g (protein)
So To Answer The Question: Are Nachos And Cheese Healthy For You?
NO!!! Nachos are a heart attack waiting to happen!
In fact in her book Menu Confidential, Megan Ogilvie, a health reporter for the Toronto Star, says that a platter of Nachos has as much fat as 40 strips of bacon!
Are You Surprised By How Unhealthy Nachos Are?See results without voting
Is There A Way To Make Nachos Healthy?
Yes, there are ways to turn Nachos and cheese into a healthy meal. Below are some ways to make healthier choices when you prepare nachos.
One Tip: Buy baked tortilla chips, or prepare your own. Making them is a lot easier than you may think. Below is a quick and easy recipe to make your own tortilla chips. Below this recipe is a recipe for a healthy cheese sauce to go with it.
How To Make Your Own Tortilla Chips
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- 3/4 cup Corn, Canola, or Grapeseed oil, You can also use your favorite non-stick spray.
- 12 Standard Corn Tortillas, Makes 72 chips (each tortilla makes 6 chips)
- Seasoning Kocher salt, regular salt, seasoning salt, garlic salt, paprika, chili powder, or cayenne pepper, You can add whatever seasoning you like, but salt is generally the main seasoning
- Large Knife
- Brush for the Oil
- Two Cookie Sheets
- Cutting Board
- Preheat oven and oil the cookie sheets: Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Pour some oil into a bowl (a few tablespoons) and brush or spray a thin layer onto the trays and set them aside.
- Oil and stack the tortillas: Place one tortilla on the cutting board and brush or spray the top with a thin layer of oil, paying close attention to the outer edges of the tortillas. Place another tortilla on top of it and brush or spray the top with oil. Continue doing this with each one until they’re all oiled and stacked in a pile.
- Cut Tortillas into Wedges: Use a large knife to cut your stack of tortillas in half with one firm slice. Cut them in half again, and then one more time to get your wedges.
- Arrange Tortillas on Trays and Season: Arrange the wedges in a single layer on your oiled cookie sheets. Placing the un-oiled wedges down onto the oiled tray. You can overlap them, but not too much, or they won’t be crisp. Sprinkle your seasoning onto the wedges, but make sure you get them all.
|Serving size: 1 oz|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 22 g||7%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 160 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
You Can't Have Nachos Without Cheese
Cheese Sauce Recipe - Ingredients and What You'll Need
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- A medium-sized saucepan
Cheese Sauce Recipe – Instructions
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a separate bowl, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt margarine or butter and blend in the flour mixture stirring constantly with a whisk until it simmers.
- Slowly add milk and keep whisking mixture until it is thickened over a medium heat
- Add the mustard and cheese.
- Keep stirring until the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Serve hot
Nutrition Facts of Cheese Sauce
The nutrition facts of the cheese sauce can vary depending on which recipe you use. Below is the nutrition value of a basic e cheese sauce listed above:
Serving Size 2 tbsp (30 g)
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5g 7%
- Saturated Fat 2.4g 12%
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1.4g
- Cholesterol 11mg 4%
- Sodium 148mg 6%
- Potassium 42.6mg 1%
- Carbohydrates 1.6g 1%
- Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
- Sugars 0g
- Protein 3.1g
Vitamin A 4% · Vitamin C 0% Calcium 9% · Iron 1%
The Benefits of a home made cheese sauce are
- No sugar
- High in calcium
- High in phosphorus
However, the saturated fat is high as well as the sodium. If you are concerned about fat and sodium try to find a homemade cheese sauce with a lower percentage.
For nutrition information on a variety of other dishes you can go here.
Choose A Lean Meat
If your favorite is ground beef, you can use that for your nachos, but make sure it is 93% lean. Although you can add any lean meat that you choose, for example try your nachos with:
- Chicken breast
The next step is to season the meat. You can use any season or combination of seasonings that your heart desires. You can even experiment with different seasonings together to come up with your own signature nachos.
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper, etc.
*Making your own meat, rather than buying it from the grocery store is best for your health, because it gives you control on the flavors and sodium amounts.
Healthy Cheese Sauce – You Can't Have Nachos Without It
The majority of cheese sauces sold at the store are incredibly unhealthy. Luckily, you can make a healthy one, at home. Cheese sauces are very quick and easy to make. All you need is milk, flour, cheese and butter.
These ingredients still have calories but won't have the excess sodium or preservatives.
Although refried beans have a bad rap for being fattening, you can buy re-fried beans that are fat-free and taste delicious. Guacamole is also a great nacho topping. It is made with avocados, and even though they are high in fat, it is a healthy fat.
You can go crazy with as many jalapeno and peppers that you want.
See, healthy nachos are an easy way to go. It is a meal you can quickly prepare and feel good sharing with your family. All you need is healthy toppings, baked tortillas chips, lean meat, homemade cheese sauce and seasonings.
Chocolate Desert Nachos?
Ultimate Nachos is the recipe book to end all recipe books when it comes to making nachos.
This book is filled with 84 nacho recipes ranging from simple to complex dishes. Including desert nachos, breakfast nachos, guacamole, Salas, and cocktails.
Don't forget to use your healthy substitutes when following these nacho recipes!
- Salsa Recipes
Whether you like your salsa red-hot, smoky or mild, you can serve up one of these popular Food Network salsa recipes.
- The Yummy Life - Easy, Healthy, Delicious Recipes
For a healthy alternative to sour cream, try this recipe using cottage cheese with vinegar and lemon juice or white vinegar!
Knowing What you Know now About Nachos, What are you Going to do?See results without voting
More by this Author
Find out how procrastination is a good thing and why you need to quit trying to overcome procrastination. |If you thrive under pressure, its not your enemy,
Embracing your life is possible with these 10 steps. Look at yourself in healthy ways. Build your self-confidence and self-esteem. Get motivated to make changes in your thoughts and actions.
Abuse in the workplace exists, and should not be tolerated. Boss' have to respect and appreciate all employees. Watch out for early signs that your boss is abusive.