Arginine (L-Arginine) Benefits
L-Arginine is a nutrient that is abundant in many different types of foods like, red meat, fish, poultry, wheat germ, grains, nuts and seeds, and dairy products, moreover, your body can make it since it is a non-essential amino acid, thus deficiency of Arginine is a rare case, nevertheless, it has gotten lots of attention lately for its potential health benefits, specially for the heart.
Arginine is normally needed for
* wound healing
* helping the kidneys remove waste products (ammonia) from the body
* maintaining immune and hormone function
An important aspect of L-Arginine is that it is the precursor of Nitric Oxide (NO), which dilates blood arteries by relaxing their lining smooth muscles and decreasing their resistance to blood flow, thus lowering blood pressure. It may improve symptoms of clogged arteries, chest pain or angina, and coronary artery disease. It may also help with erectile dysfunction.MayoClinic
Certain conditions like infections,severe burns, and injuries can deplete the body stores of Arginine. Drugs.com
Arginine Benefits for the heart and Circulation
There currently is no data on how the long-term use of arginine affects cholesterol or heart health. Although some research is done on Arginine, however we need more research.
Arginine has the potential to:
- Improve circulation
- Reduce blood pressure
- Improve walking distance in patients with intermittent leg cramping and weakness known as intermittent claudication
- Attenuate diabetes-induced vascular changes like retinopathy and atherosclerosis
On the other hand, a clinical trial found that patients taking an L-arginine supplement following a heart attack didn't improve in their vascular tone or their hearts' ability to pump.
L-Arginine Benefits for Reproductive Organs
- It can be combined with some plant extracts for Erectile Dysfunction
- Investigated for improving sperm motility to treat some types of male infertility
- It can ease female sensitization during sexual intercourse
L-Arginine Side Effects
In clinical trials, Arginine has been used safely with minor side effects for up to three months.
Doses as large as 30 grams/day of Arginine have been used as a treatment of a variety of heart conditions,
however users of Arginine should be aware of some possible effects like:
- Abdominal pain and bloating, diarrhea
- Worsening of breathing in people with asthma
- May Interact with some blood pressure lowering drugs
- It may interact with some drugs (Viagra)
- Pregnant and nursing women should not take supplements without first talking to their doctor
Dosage : There is no recommended daily amount established for Arginine.
L-Arginine Benefits as People Say
Here are some reviews by people on Amazon.com:
- "I take them as a workout supplement, about 30-45 minutes before starting, the actual time I can keep up a given exercise before resting is significantly longer."
- "I am aging and feel depleted of the necessary benefits of the natural hormones and this particular item has helped me gain more stamina and drive."
- "This with no diet or exercise change has lowered my blood pressure from 131/90 to 118/75 over four months. WOW "
- "Been using this product for 3 weeks now. I don't feel any more energetic. "
- "This is an Amino Acid so safe to use as a diet supplement..Overall not bad and will continue to use."
- "A noticeable difference, and though I'm only on day 4 or 5, I came VERY close to orgasm within 15 minutes of play"
More by this Author
Acne victims are distracted by the huge number of unverified acne face masks, from the simple fact that acne is a temporarily not conformed fat metabolism, and that getting rid of acne just requires accelerating fat...
Lotion bars are a soap like bar that is a compressed moisturizing lotion, which is rubbed directly onto the skin without water. They can be used for many purposes, used any where, and the best of all, you can make them...
What if you get rid of your acne 2 days from now? No topical applications, no unknown remedies, no toxic drugs, and no overdose supplements. You will just fine tune the supplements you may be already taking. After the...