Arthritis Self-Help - Ease Your Day
- How to Ease Arthritis - Heat vs. Cold
Arthritis is inflammatory, and cold application is the recommendation. However, everyone is different and some bodies respond better to warmth. Try both to see which is better for you.
- How to Ease Arthritis - Adaptive Equipment
There are several items on the market today that can reduce the stress placed on arthritic joints.
1. Child-proof medication bottles can be a pill! Place the bottle in a door, closing the door until it firmly holds the bottle. Place your palm over the lid, press and turn. Be sure to angle the bottle so the medication doesn't spill. You can also request caps that are not child proof from your pharmacy.
2. If change from a vending machine slot is an aggravation to retrieve, use a pencil eraser to slide coins out and drop in hand.
3. Driving can be challenging when joints aren't flexible.
- Wide-angled rear view mirrors can be easily installed.
- Swivel seat cushions can help you turn to get in and out of the car.
- Lumbar supports help with back pain.
- Steering wheel covers afford easier grip on the wheel.
4. Carrying laundry baskets or grocery bags can be painful and even dangerous. Wheeled carts or four-wheeled walkers can offer easy transport of items through the house.
5. Delivery can be a relief! Not only do many pharmacies and grocery stores take phone orders, but many also take online orders today and deliver directly to your home. Meals can be ordered via phone or internet for delivery as well. Order clothing, household items or gifts through mail-order or online ordering.
- Meals On Wheels Association of America
- Albertsons - Groceries, Coupons, Weekly Ad, Recipes and Pharmacy
Visit Albertsons online to find savings from coupons and the weekly ad. You can also search recipes, create a Shopping List and plan your weekly meals.
Vons delivers groceries to home.
- Rite Aid Pharmacy
Rite Aid has online shopping.
6. Clothing can become a hang-up. Look for loose, comfortable clothing with elastic and velcro features. Front-fasteners are easier to manage. Small buttons and snaps should be avoided. If tying shoelaces is difficult, get some elastic shoelaces and your tennis-shoes are slip-ons!
7. Is your car door too hard to close? Use a belt looped through the inside door handle. After you are in the car, put you arm through the looped belt and pull the door closed.
8. Wire twist ties and plastic clips can be a nuisance on bags. Try using small bag clips or spring-loaded clothespins instead.
9. Sitting to shower makes bathing easier. Shower chairs are a good way to stay safe in the tub/shower.
10. Carry some non-slip material with you to open knobs and flip switches when you are away from home. It's also handy for opening jars and lids. Non-slip material can be placed under cutting boards for increased safety, or under seat cushions to prevent shifting.
11. Serving plates of food at home can be arduous. Serve buffet style - it's less time you have to spend grasping spoon handles.
12. Felt-tip pens require less pressure for writing than ball-point pens. Another trick is to use the pen between your 2nd and 3rd fingers (index and middle) instead of between your thumb and index. This greatly reduces the amount of pressure used by the thumb for writing tasks.
13. Prolonged, repetitive activity can cause stiffness and pain. Take rest breaks, alternate hands, or even alternate tasks.
14. Card holders can allow you to stay with your bridge club and still enjoy the socialization. Even a hair brush with bristles can hold cards for you.
15. Use 2 hands to carry cups and plates. Drink from cups that have a textured or bumpy surface to make handling easier.
More by this Author
Our feet take a daily beating. They bear our full body weight every time we stand and with each step we take, and they put up with things like poor footwear, improper body mechanics, and hard walking surfaces. It's...
The spine is designed to follow a particular path from the base of the skull to the pelvis. The picture shows the different spinal regions and their natural curvature. Maintaining this curvature is often difficult. ...
Be ready for anything - be prepared with a first aid kit that will get you through the paper cuts and more.