Aspergers Syndrome and Cats
Why are Aspergers People so into cats???
Many people with Aspergers Syndrome just love cats, absolutely crazy about them! I know a lot of aspergers syndrome people, (including myself), and can safely say the vast majority of us love pet cats. This hub is looking into this strange phenomenon.
What is appealing about cats?
Here are a few things that people with Aspergers find appealing about cats..
- The soft fur is comforting - good for sensory issues and requirements. Having something soft to touch whether it be a toy, or a living thing is greatly comforting.
- The rumble of the cat's purr is soothing. Often people find this effect calming, it's nice to put your ear against a cat and feel and hear the purr.
- They are a little companion, but non judgemental - You can talk to them, have them as a friend and they will provide love and not judge you. This is great for people with aspergers (including myself) if you don't want to be looked at and criticised for saying or doing the wrong thing, you can just be yourself with a cat.
Aspergers Syndrome Resources
Aspergers Syndrome and cats
Above is my take on this matter!
And here I'm going to list some more reasons why we aspies get on so well with cats.
They remind us of us:
- Aloof, don't mind their own company, and can socialise with other animals but they don't need to be around other animals, people either.
- They have heightened senses, loud noises often bother them, as do changes in their surroundings and environment.
- They like what they like, and don't tolerate what they don't. - For example being patted in a certain way, the same with Aspergers Syndrome suffers.
Aspies also love them because cats also don't make loud noises often like some other pets, they clean themselves (I am one person with aspergers who has OCD and issues with touching dirt) and in general are easy to be around.
However, as people with aspergers vary as much as people without, there are several people with aspergers who don't like cats, or who prefer dogs for various reasons. Just pointing out a few things that are quite common for people on the spectrum!
More by this Author
I'm going to go over the different personality types of people with Asperger's Syndrome. I have Asperger's myself, and have met several other people, young and old, on the spectrum. We are not all the same - Some of us...