How to Manage and Control Asthma In Kids
What is Asthma?
The air passages in your lungs get narrowed making it difficult for you to breathe in. It can last for few hours to few days. Breathing can sound like whistles; it is short and panting. You may cough more at night. It is severe among kids. It can be hereditary. Some kids suffering from asthma at a young age may get rid of it when they are adults. But some aren’t so lucky
How can we understand whether Asthma is controllable?
If difficulty in breathing, cough etc occurs more than twice in a week we can consider it as a symptom of asthma. It will not affect our daily activities. More over it is possible to do to work & go to school. All normal activities as well as exercise can be done without any problem.
There will be no problem in sleeping at night. There will be no difficult situations in the morning & night. We can reach a stage where it is not necessary to use inhalers used for relieving oneself from asthma attack & other medicines.
There are no problems of breathing while doing the pulmonary function analysis which is a measure of the functioning of the respiratory tract. How can we control?
Reasons for asthma in Kids
Changed situations & environmental pollution is the main reason behind this. Fast foods & the increased intake of foods containing egg & milk also cause allergies in kids. These later results in difficulty in breathing. The chemicals added in certain bakery products also result as a reason to cause allergies in children.
Small insects found in some household furniture causes difficulty in breathing. These insects (home dust mites) are seen in cushions & carpets. More over the dust in carpets also causes difficulty in breathing. We have to find out the reasons behind difficulty in breathing.
There is an increase rate of those affected by asthma in industrial places & metro cities. In children there is increased colds & sputum formation. Asthma is usually seen from 3 yrs onwards. If we give treatment in the beginning of asthma, we can control it.
What triggers Asthma?
- Cold and flu during the winter can trigger asthma in kids
- Cold weather – can trigger asthma so wear scarves and monkey- caps in winter
- Dust and dust mites- so keep your room tidy
- Animal furs – avoid dogs and cats and even fur toys
- Polluted air- avoid smoke and fog
- Some medicines
- Exercise- some can trigger asthma so you need to warm up and take medicines before you exercise
- Cigarette smoke- kindly avoid smoking areas and avoid smoking as you grow up
- Pollen grains
- Some food stuffs
How to Manage the Asthma in Kids
You need to manage Asthma as a kid. This depends on the type- Mild, Moderate or severe asthma.
Mild Asthma- attack happens less that every 6-8 weeks.
Moderate Asthma- attack happens more often than 6-8 weeks with symptoms in between attacks.
Severe Asthma- attacks with symptoms almost every day.
Managing asthma is by
- Avoiding those things which can trigger off asthma in you e.g.- avoiding smoking areas, dressing up properly in winter and avoiding food stuffs allergic to your body
- Work closely with your parents and your doctor to monitor your health conditions and decide your medicines accordingly
- Always carry your medicines with you
- There are two types of medication- Reliever and Preventers. Reliever helps you breathe during an attack and Preventers are to be taken regularly to help your body be resistive towards the irritants that triggers your asthma.
- Know how to use your inhalers
- Know to understands the signs of a coming attack and what to do then
- Let your friends and teachers know that you are an asthma patient
- Always do warm up before exercising
- Avoid polluted and smoky places
- Avoid pets
- Keep your room dust free
- Avoid smoking and smoking zones
- Keep cool
Helping a Child with Asthma
How can we control Asthma?
If we follow our simple steps we can overcome asthma easily.
- Follow doctors instructions carefully.
- We should find out situations which increase asthma. Keep away from pollen, some food items, vehicle exhaust smoke, cigarette smoke etc. In some cases asthma can be worsened by hard work & rigorous exercise.
- It is necessary to control asthma under the guidance of a specialist doctor. Even if the asthma is under control you have to visit the doctor twice or thrice in a year & conduct tests. You should understand the roper way to use inhalers.
- If there is increased difficulty in breathing, please see the doctor immediately.
More by this Author
Those vibrant actresses who bid farewell to life while they were literally dazzling like stars at the peak of their career—we can remember them only with an unexplainable pain. Those who are passionate about...
Who doesn’t like to embellish their rooms? Especially living rooms? People usually go for different decorating items to decorate their living room wall. Living room decorating ideas are many. Pictures Wall...
Internet is too much popular in the world now. Everyone likes to use internet so why not children likes. For every age person, there are many things available in the internet. Through surfing internet, you can know many...