Atkins Friendly - Spinach Squash Casserole
If you are like me you are always looking for foods you can enjoy that won't cause too much damage to your waistline once you have consumed it. Well i am always on the look out for recipes that are also as healthy for me as possible as well.
I try not to eat too much salt, so i try hard not to add it to my food. That in itself makes eating what i enjoy a little tougher.
When i am eating i work to stick to an Atkins regime where my carbs are limited and those that i indulge in are mostly veges. I try my hardest to stay away from white rice, white bread, you know anything that has been so over processed that it holds no nutritional value. You must be aware that fiber is necessary to the body to preform at it's best.
I don't care what you do, nutrition is vital to loosing weight and maintaining the weight loss. Although food is a priority there are other things that we can do to aid us in loosing and maintaining weight loss and ultimately your health.
- Lots of H2O, water is vital
- Natural foods vs prepackaged foods
- Home cooked meals vs eating out - although making good food choices out is also doable
- Eating what you enjoy - this keeps you going
- Goals - lbs to loose, dress or pant size, or health issues resolved
- Treat yourself, once a day or once a week - your choice this makes restrictions otherwise palatable
- Exercise, no matter what some kind of daily activity, that moves your body, gets you heart pumping and causes some sweat is good anytime all the time, health pros recommend 30 mins or more but you can break this up, so no excuses, please!
Spinach, Squash casserole Recipe
box of frozen chopped spinach
fresh or frozen yellow squash sliced, about a cup
softened cream cheese, about 4 to 6 ounces, softened
heavy whip cream, about 1/4 cup
shredded medium cheddar cheese, about 1/2 cup
3 eggs (medium or large)
salt & pepper
optional - butter, minced onion, thyme,
fork to mix or a whisk
What to do:
- Defrost and drain spinach, allow cream cheese to soften, saute squash to soften
- In bowl mix softened cream cheese, butter, heavy cream, water and eggs
- Stir in spinach, squash and most of the cheddar cheese( reserve about 4 tablespoons to add to the top), onion, thyme, salt & pepper to taste
- Mix well
- Spray or oil ramekins, pour in almost full, add cheddar cheese to the top
Bake the casserole at 350 degrees until firm and the top is brown. Serve hot or warm.
Putting it together / Eating:
This can be eaten at anytime. It can be served with sour cream or a salad depending on when you eat it.
Add bacon, diced ham, sausage, peppers, celery, the possibilities are limitless.
More by this Author
Tidbits on care and styling black natural hair on young girls.
Hand washing clothes is as old as human beings have been wearing garments. It is varied throughout regions and communities. Primitive methods include beating the clothes against rocks in rivers or where there is...
Growing up in the Bahamas really was an awesome experience looking back as an adult. Through local fare we experienced the best that the world has to offer in exotic fruits although it was not exotic to the child that...