Avoid Kidney Stones
Seeing the Doctor
Following a Kidney Stone Free Lifestyle
Dietary Therapy For Calcium Disease
Disappointed that my husband wasn’t told which type of kidney stones he had, though he was given a list of things to do and avoid for Calcium Disease. Calcium stones are most common and found more often in men. Calcium oxalate stones account for 90% of kidney stone incidence. Chances are this is the type of stones that he passed.
The doctor would like him to follow all seven of the things list here, but told him to do at least two. Here is the list:
- Drink 2 liters or two quarts (64 oz. = (8) 8 oz glasses) of water every day. If you are active bring it up to 3 liters. The best way to know if your body is taking in the right amount of water is to check your urine. Clear urine shows that you have been drinking enough water. Yellow urine means that you need to more water. Coffee, tea and cola work as diuretics and causes dehydration.
- Drink real lemonade. 1-2 tablespoons per 8 oz. glass of water. Lemon juice contains citrate. This helps to prevent stone formation in the urine. Lemonade bought at restaurants is fountain lemonade that is made with sweeteners and very little lemon juice, if any. If buying frozen concentrate, check the label for what percent of lemon juice is added.
- Limit sodium in the diet. Sodium follows calcium into the urine and increases the risk of stone formation. Consider salt substitutes and avoid salty foods.
- Don’t limit calcium in the diet. Dietary calcium found in diary products and some plant foods. Taking calcium in the natural way according to studies, show that it decreases the risk of stone formation.
- Avoid supplemental calcium. Calcium in vitamin or calcium tablets will increase your risk of stone formation. Some people take calcium to avoid the risk of osteoporosis. If you need to take calcium supplements for any medical condition, always take the tablets with food and never on a empty stomach.
- Limit oxalate in the diet. Oxalate is a by-product of normal food metabolism. Foods high in oxalate increase the risk of stones. High oxalate containing foods include: tea, chocolate, cocoa, nuts, rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries, plums, liver, bran flakes, wheat germ, dark green vegetables and malted alcohol.
- Limit purines in the diet. Purine is a compound found in nucleic acids. When purine is metabolized, it creates a crystalline compound including uric acid, thus increase the risk of kidney stones.. Purine and uric acid is a by-product of protein metabolism. Foods high in purine content include: anchovies, bacon, heat, kidney, liver, scallops, veal, venison, lentils, dried beans, spinach and asparagus. When eating such foods high in purine, drink a glass of water before and after to help reduce the risk of stone formation.
After reading this, my husband said that he would drink more water and lemonade.
(Be sure to read the first two hubs below (course you can read all of the hubs), these two are follow-up and tie in hubs.)
The copyright to this article is owned by Sandy Mertens (sandyspider). Permission to republish this article in print or online must be granted by the author in writing. (You can, however, freely use the opening introduction and photo with a link to the article here on HubPages to read the remainder of the article.)
Natural Treatment Kidney Stones
Hubs That Tie In (Getting Stoned and Loss of Taste and Smell) Plus Helpful Hubs
- Getting Stoned Is Not What It Use To Be
"The Thing" of the Fantastic Four got stoned. By eric_19m on photobucket.com Have you gotten stoned lately? How many of you have gotten stoned in the past? Come on; lets see a show of hands. How does it...
- Loss of Taste and Smell
Since I have suffered with seasonal allergies for most of my life, I didnt give it a second thought when I became more congested. It was a few days after my husbands attack of kidney stones, so I didnt want to complain about it.
- Health Awareness and 30 Hubs
Eat fruits and vegetables for better health.Citrus Fruit Postcard by Sandyspider Being healthy starts off with what we eat. Plenty of fruits and vegetables in our diets is always a good choice. Click on the...
- Acupuncture versus Acupressure
Acupuncture and Acupressure are both part of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) or alternative medicine. These both work off of the pressure points and are centered on touching meridians which carry energy...
- Natural Treatment of Homeopathy
Mortar and pestle used for grinding insoluble solids into homeopathic remedies including quartz and oyster shells. In 1796, German physician Samuel Hahnemann treated patients with heavily diluted...
- Balancing Nutrition
Before starting on your nutritional journey, write down what your goals are. After writing down I want change the wording to be I am For example: "I am 115 pounds. This is...
- Nutrition Secrets
Eating the right amount of fruits and vegetables. FDA guideline of nutrition is general for one type of person. But we are not one type but several types of people. We come from different backgrounds and...
More by this Author
Do you burn up or begin hiccuping while eating jalapeno peppers? Then you may very well be allergic to these. The best way is to avoid the peppers altogether.