How to Avoid an Unhealthy Vegetarian Diet
There are so many people (men, women, and children) who are practicing a vegetarian diet or are thinking about switching.
Vegetarian diets have been proven to be healthier and it can potentially prevent obesity and various diseases and illnesses. So, many believe that this is just the healthier way to live. Fruits and vegetables versus meats and animals.
If you opt to maintain a vegetarian diet, choose what type of vegetarian you want to be. Do you want to be one who is more of a semi-vegetarian who continues to eat poultry and fish? A lacto-vegetarian who eats dairy but no eggs? Or a a lacto-ovo-vegetarian, who eats dairy and eggs but doesn't eat any other meat?
Depending on what type of vegetarian you are, you'll find that there will be a few dietary differences, as those who eat some poultry and fish may not need to take B12 supplements when compared to a vegetarian who doesn't eat poultry, dairy, or fish.
When managing a vegetarian diet, it's important to know what you need in your diet in order to maintain a healthy body and bodily systems.
Whether you are a new vegetarian or a long-term vegetarian sometimes you just don't pay close enough attention to what you're eating, and sometimes this leads to an unhealthy diet.
As a vegetarian, it's important that you watch what you eat, as different foods are rich in different vitamins and essentials. If you don't eat a varied diet, then you will easily become an unhealthy vegetarian.
When trying to be a healthy vegetarian, you want to make sure that you consume 3-5 servings of vegetables, 2-4 servings of fruit, 5-9 servings of whole grain, 2-3 servings of beans and legumes, and 2-3 servings of milk and/or dairy. It's also a good idea to supplement your diet with nuts and seeds, which make great healthy snacks.
Variety is key.
Vegetarian Daily Food Servings
When monitoring your food servings, keep the following tips in mind.
Vegetable servings: (3-5 servings a day)
- Vegetables are measured in 1/2 cup per serving.
- Salads are one cup per serving.
- Vegetable juices are measured per 1/2 cup per serving.
Fruit servings: (2-4 servings a day)
- Fruits are hard to measure, as they have a lot of variations. One large apple may equal 2 servings, whereas a medium, may just be one serving. A cup of watermelon and a cup of pears will also measure out differently.
- The best thing to do is to check cans, if you prefer can fruits, as all cans will tell you the serving size.
- Generally 1/2 cup of fruit equals 1 serving.
Beans and legume servings: (2-3 servings a day)
- 1/2 cup equals 1 serving
Grain servings: (5-9 servings a day)
- Cooked rice and pasta- 1/2 cup per 1 serving
- Hot cereal- 1/2 cup per 1 serving
- Cold breakfast cereal- 2/3 cup equals 1 serving
- Remember to check labels, as some serving sizes may vary
Milk and dairy servings: (2-3 servings a day)
- 1 ounce or 1 slice of cheese is equivalent to 1 serving
- 1/2 cup of ice cream is equal to 1 serving
- Typically measured per type of nut, but about 2 tablespoons or 10-15 nuts equals 1 serving
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter measures about 1 serving.
- Humans Were Not Created To Eat Meat - Vegetarian Diet Is Healthier
- What's the Difference Between a Vegan and a Vegetarian Diet?
- How to Be Healthy on a Vegetarian Diet
- The Best Healthy Vegetarian Diet Cookbooks
- Prevent Cancer with a Vegetarian Diet
- Manage Diabetes with a Vegetarian Diet
- Relieve Arthritis Symptoms with a Vegetarian Diet
- Can a Vegetarian Diet Reduce High Blood Pressure
- Continue a Vegetarian Diet While Pregnant
- Maintain a Vegetarian Diet While Nursing an Infant
- Raise Healthy Children on a Vegetarian Diet
- Healthy Vegetarian Children
Disclaimer: Please be aware that the advice in this article should in no way replace that of a licensed physician. If you are thinking about converting to your diet, consult your doctor so that you can ensure that you stay healthy in the process.
More by this Author
There aren't too many people who have heard about the ketogenic diet, and most of the people who have are those who have experienced seizures or know someone who has a seizure disorder. The ketogenic diet is being...
Eating healthy is very important, considering the mass population- children and adults- is considered as overweight. It is important to start healthy eating habits during childhood, so that the child doesn't struggle to...
An awesome-looking tattoo can unfortunately turn into a big infected mess. Read on to learn the symptoms of infection and how to treat it.