BENEFITS OF CHEWING GUM, WEIGHT LOSS & BRAIN POWER
Chewing Gum is fun and good for me?
As I'm chewing this piece of gum, I find it very interesting at what this gooey, chewy, flexible, tasty substance can do for me! It comes in all sizes , shapes, flavors, colors and brands and surprisingly enough it can be good for me!
Most of us have heard at one time or another these benefits to chewing gum:
- Assist to stop smoking: Instead of reaching for a cigarette, one would reach for a stick of gum.
- Bad Breathe: Temporarily aides in covering bad breath, specially those gums that have the added breath fresheners
- Flying:Helps the middle ear equilibrium during flights
- Dental Hygiene: Assists, when brushing isn't available, in reducing cavities, neutralizing plaque acids, remineralizing enamel to strengthen and washing away food particles( sugar-free gum of course)
Continue reading below to learn some things that may surprise you about our chewing gum habits.
What are the benefits?
I have compiled all the research on gum I've found in this one little article, some of which surprised even me. This will make me think twice the next time one of my children asks me for a piece of gum.
- Weight loss: Studies have shown that one 5-10 calorie stick of sugarless gum can help fight off high calorie cravings, burn calories & raise your metabolic rate! If I chew a piece of sugarless gum at a rate of 100 chews per minute, I can increase my metabolic rate by 20%. If I chewed at this rate every waking hour , I could lose 11 pounds a year!( New England Journal of Medicine)
- Improve Brain Power: Studies showed that chewing gum can improve & stimulate the brain in areas of concentration, memory and focus. By increasing your heart rate and blood pressure it will carry extra oxygen to the brain and stimulate the right and left hemispheres to work together.
- Ease Stress & Tension: Studies have also shown that chewing gum can relieve muscle tension and stress, again by increasing blood flow and oxygen levels. This is one reason it is still given in the field and combat rations for the US Armed Forces.
- Improve Ability to Retrieve and Retain Information: It's been measured by an EEG, that chewing gum stimulates the brain in the areas that are responsible for memory thus making it easier for to retrieve and recall information and to retain it.
- Helps Breathing: Chewing gum helps breathing and opens up your frontal areas that will convert your air to better enrichment for your brain, says Dr. Lawlis on the Dr.Phil show.
Links to Information about the benefits of chewing gum:
More by this Author
This is the story of my best friend from my childhood. My best friend was a crow. He found me, followed me, then became my best friend. He stayed with me even though he had the freedom to go.
My story started after the c-section birth of my fifth child. My scar burst open and started oozing all types of nasty pus and infection. I immediately called my doctor and was told to clean it everyday with peroxide...
Tubal Ligation , research and ask questions.