Bananas Nutritional Facts and Things You Didn't Know
Banana Nutritional Facts
Banana nutritional facts prove they are probably the most perfect fruit for people and many animals. Bananas are actually berries from a botanical perspective, as they grow from a single ovary. Plus, they don’t actually grow on trees, but are a large herb. Approximately 98% of the bananas in the world come from third world countries.
New statistics show India is the largest producer of bananas, with Brazil and Ecuador coming in second and third place in 2011. Interestingly enough, bananas grow in Iceland. This is possible because Iceland has so much geothermic energy due to all the volcanoes, which act like greenhouses. Their homes are also heated with this energy.
Bluenecked Tansger Bird
Orangatan of Sumatra
Bananas are Radioactive
In addition, bananas are radioactive but it isn't harmful, as we are exposed daily to low levels of radiation. The reason they are radioactive is primarily due to their potassium. Other foods that are radioactive include potatoes, nuts (particularly Brazil nuts), and kidney beans. Animals that eat bananas can see in the ultraviolet range of the spectrum, so they immediately know which banana to choose to eat before.
There are many animals that eat bananas and, of course, monkeys are the first ones most people think. That includes very small monkey up to the large gorilla. Some wild birds, squirrels, sloughs and dogs also like bananas. Generally speaking many animals of the rainforest eat bananas regularly.
Jacksonville "Top Banana City"
Dole has named Jacksonville, Florida the “Top Banana City” for 2011. Dole is the largest producers of bananas, and it is a favorite fruit, being found in 96% of American homes. Doles’ PR campaign lets people know you don’t just eat bananas for breakfast and lunch, but there are many great things you can do will bananas on a grill.
Bananas Foster On My Weber Grill
Africa Banana Beer
African Banana Beer
In Africa, they like banana beer and this is the process for making the beer:
- Peel ripe bananas and juice
- Mix with sorghum or millet flour and ferment to create an orange alcoholic drink
There is also a Wells Banana Bread Beer, brewed in London, with an alcoholic content of 5.2%.
Bananas were first grown in the third century B.C. in the Indo-Malaysian region. They didn't arrive in Europe until the 10th century.
A cluster of bananas is officially called a “hand” and each banana is called a “finger, which probably means the word banana is derived from an Arabic word “banana” which means finger or fingertips.
The Ultimate Dessert
Nutrition Information about Bananas
If a banana is about 8” long, the calories in bananas are about 105.
The nutrient facts are as follows:
- Protein 1.29 g
- Carbohydrates 26.95
- Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 14.43 g
- Total fat 0.39 g
- Calcium 6.0 mg
- Iron 0.31 mg
- Magnesium 32 mg
- Phosphorus 25 mg
- Potassium 422 mg
- Sodium 1 mg
- Zinc .18 mg
- Vitamin C 10.3 mg
- Folate 24 mcg
- Vitamin A 76 IU
- Vitamin E 0.12 mg
- Vitamin K 0.6 mcg
- Phytosterols 19 mg
- Beta Carotene 31 mcg
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin 26 mcg
What Bananas Can do for You
- Banana is one of the favorite fruits for many people because it can lift depression and Europeans often call it a happy fruit. Bananas contain folic acid that can help the brain produce 5-HT, which helps dispel irritable emotions and pessimism.
- It is a good fruit to help girls lose weight, since it is rich in nutrition and low in calories.
- Since bananas are packed with vitamins, they can help prevent heart disease and lower high blood pressure.
- Due to the fiber-pectin contained in bananas, they will also help treat constipation.
- The peel of a banana contains material which can inhibit the growth and proliferation of the fungus and bacteria; therefore, it will help relieve athletics foot and other diseases.
- They are also an effective treatment for insomnia or emotional stress due to the protein and amino acids which calm the nerves. Try eating one close to bedtime.
Delicious Banana Pudding
- 3 boxes, 1 large, 2 small vanilla pudding
- 4 cups of milk
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 8 oz. Cool Whip (or a little more)
- 1 box vanilla wafers
- 6-7 bananas
Directions for this easy recipe:
Mix pudding and milk. Beat 2 minutes. Add sour cream and Cool whip. Use a 9”x13”pan. Layer vanilla wafers, bananas (sliced thin) and half of the pudding. Repeat layers. Garnish with 1/2 cup crushed vanilla wafers on top.
- 1/2 c butter (margarine)
- 1/2 c broken nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- 1 1/2 c sugar 3 eggs
- 1 cup smashed banana
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- Add soda to buttermilk in small container, then stir buttermilk before adding to mixture.
- Cream butter and sugar till fluffy; add eggs one at a time, beating after each. (The recipe actually says sieved bananas but I just mash them up.)
- Add banana,
- Add sifted dry ingredients.
- Then add buttermilk and lemon.
- Add nuts.
- Bake in 2” 7” greased loaf pans at 350° for 40 minutes.
I find it takes longer most of the time, so I use a toothpick in the center which should come out clean if the bread is done.
Bananas are obviously one of the healthiest choices of food you can eat. The many positive effects of bananas is due to the high nutrition. They are reasonably priced, and most people like them. Children are usually very good about eating bananas also. There are numerous wonderful recipes for bananas as well.
© 2011 Pamela Oglesby
More by this Author
Free radicals do damage to our bodies, and it is important to understand where they come from and what you can do to combat them by utilizing antioxidants which is primarily some particular foods.
This article explains the difference between food allergies and food intolerances and how each affects your body. Learn the 3 different allergy responses and symptoms of food intolerances.
This article explains the best weight loss plan by following eating healthy foods. The benefits of eating fresh vegetables and fruits are described. It is important to keep a well stocked pantry.