Worth the Wait? How to Make the Most of Sitting in the Doctor's Waiting Room
One of life's biggest aggravations for me is waiting in the doctor's office. I love my doctor and wouldn't go anywhere else for my personal care but waiting for an hour just to go back to one of the rooms can be a bit much for me sometimes. Oh, I know, emergencies can't be helped and there are usually people who are a lot sicker than I am. That doesn't mean I have to like it.
After many years of practice I have an arsenal of things to do to make the most of the doctor's office wait.
1. Bring a book/e-reader/magazine to read. Since I love to read, this is usually my first defense against the wait. I always have a book with me. The magazines in the waiting room are usually pretty good but I don't want to touch these germ-ridden pages that have been perused by who knows how many sickly people. Go ahead if you're desperate but be sure to wash your hands afterward.
2. My second defense is to always carry a small pad of paper or journal and a pen in my purse. They have a multitude of uses. Write out your grocery list for the next week.
3. Balance your checkbook. If you don't have a calculator with you, this will have the added advantage of occupying your brain for awhile.
4. Write a hub like I did!
5. Write a letter (yes, by hand) or thank you note that you've been putting off.
6. Clean out your purse or wallet of trash. Do an inventory.
7. Make a to-do list for the day, week or month.
8. Close your eyes and meditate.
9. Write a list of things you want to discuss with the doctor, namely the wait time in the office.
10. Plan the menu for the next week or your next party.
11. Text a friend. If you must speak on the phone, step out of the office as a courtesy to others.
12. Get caught up on Facebook.
13. Teachers: Grade those papers, write those lesson plans, average those grades!
14. Bring your knitting, crocheting or other needlework.
15. Ladies: Do Kegel exercises. No one will ever know!
Finding something to pass the time really will make the wait seem shorter (even though it isn't)!
Do you use any of the above tips to help pass the time waiting in the doctor's office?See results without voting
- Free ebooks at the Library!
Checking out ebooks from your local library is a great way to read the books you like without having to purchase them. It basically works the same way as checking out a "dead tree" book.
- Inspirational Quotes to Brighten Your Day
Who doesn't need an inspiring quote to brighten the day? I certainly do. Since January 2011, I've been clipping positive quotes and posting them in my workspace. Here are my favorites.
More by this Author
Should I or shouldn't I go to my high school class reunion? Tough decision but I recommend that you go. Read these tips to ensure a great time.
There are so many things to do in the Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, area. There quite a few indoor attractions if the weather doesn't permit doing the outdoor ones. Here are my favorites.
Camping in the Southeast United States offers a variety of experiences, from the beach to mountains. Here are six favorites.