Being Positive Is Your Choice
Let's get right into the nuts and bolts of why being positive is your choice. To begin with, here is a word I'd like you to write down three times. Perception. You're going to learn how important this word is and just how it connects with being positive.
I'm going to throw a thought at you in the form of a question. How would you like to live in a state of uninterrupted peace and bliss? Of course you would. This is what everyone is looking for. Do you know that this is your true nature? Author,Eckhart Tolle, (The Power of Now), writes that we already have intense joy inside of us. He further states "You have it already (intense joy). You just can't feel it because your mind is making too much noise."
No matter who you are or where you are you can learn to free yourself from enslavement to the mind and enter into an enlightened state of thinking which is being positive. It is your choice.
How To Stop Negative Thinking
Choosing your thoughts will control your inner-dialogue. It is this "self-talk" that cements either a positive attitude or a negative one. Try the following strategies:
- Interrupt the negative thought. When we learn how to interrupt the negative inner-dialogue, we are taking the first step to choosing a positive thought over a negative thought.
- Shout out loud - Stop! You'll be surprised how fast the negative thought will vanish. Do this whenever you have a negative thought or inner-dialogue going on. If you practice this enough, you will come to the point where you can do this in your mind.
- Using a shhh sound works well for me. The sound is quick and deliberate.
- Sing. Yes, that's right. As soon as your mind begins to dwell on a negative thought or an unhappy past experience - start singing. Sing anything, just to interrupt the present thought.
- The final step is to replace the negative thought with something pleasant. It can be anything that is not related to the negative thought. Visualize a baby laughing or see yourself relaxing on a tropical beach.
Negative thinking is a habit that has been developed over time. We can stop this behavior and replace it with positive, empowering thoughts. Being positive is your choice.
Perception and Positive Thinking
What does perception have to do with positive thinking? It has everything to do with how we think and how we interpret experiences. This is what Douglas Adams had to say about perception. "Everything you see or hear or experience in any way at all is specific to you. You create a universe by perceiving it, so everything in the universe you perceive is specific to you."
In other words, you create your own reality beginning with your thoughts. If you don't like the way your life is going, change it. Change your thoughts to change your life.
What you perceive becomes your reality. This might be a bit to take in, but as you practice controlling your thoughts, you will come to realize that this is true. Author Wayne Dyer has a quote that serves me well. "When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
One of my favorite authors is the late Stephen R. Covey. One of his most famous quotes is, "To change ourselves effectively, we first have to change our perceptions."
This quote clearly indicates the power that exists in making good, positive choices.
Your Imagination Will Change Your Perceptions
One of our most treasured gifts is our imagination. Most of us fail to use this remarkable tool in such a way as to change our perception of things. Our imagination is a powerful mind-brain function. We can even use mental imagery to reduce pain in the body. I know from personal experience that by using my imagination I am able to divert the feeling of pain by focusing on positive, beautiful and happy thoughts and imagery.
The imagination is so powerful that according to scientists at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden,future research will be done on brain-computer interfaces for people who are paralyzed. Their imaginations will control virtual and artificial devices. How amazing this is.
Emotion - The Body's Reaction To Your Mind
The mind, in the way I'm referring to the word isn't just a thought. It also includes emotions. Where your mind and body meet, emotion will arise. It's the body's reaction to the mind. If you cannot feel your emotions and you are cut off from them, you'll eventually feel them on a physical level.
An example of this is people that carry a lot of anger inside without expressing it, are more likely to be attacked either physically or verbally by another angry person.
Feel your body within to focus on your emotions. Allow them to be expressed when you are in a comfortable, safe and personal place. Most of us grow up being made to control and hold in our emotions. Feelings must not be judged. Feelings 'just are.'
A Book That Helped Me Through The Hardest Time Of My Life
Tolle introduces readers to enlightenment and its natural enemy, the mind. He awakens readers to their role as a creator of pain and shows them how to have a pain-free identity by living fully in the present. The journey is thrilling.
Being Positive Is To Be In The Moment
When you allow yourself to be in the moment, you are being your deepest self. The noisy 'chitter-chatter' that goes on and on in the mind will come to a complete stop. This is a powerful way to switch from negative thinking to more positive thoughts.
We live in fast times with fast food and fast thoughts. How many times do you really taste the chocolate flavor, texture and smells of a chocolate dessert or snack? We wolf the delicious food down, not even remembering we ate it. We don't even live in the moment as we enjoy one of life's greatest pleasures - eating.
Author, Eckhert Tolle, describes 'being' as "Being can be felt as the ever present I am that is beyond name and form. To feel and thus to know that you are and to abide in that deeply rooted state is enlightenment."
Meditation Quiets The Mind
Meditation is a personal creative experience. As you practice meditation you begin to understand that there is another way to view reality than the way you have always taken for granted. You come to learn that your problems are based on fear.
These first insights only occur when you are in your most quiet and self-collected moments. The clarity and reassurance you're beginning to feel will pour out into your daily tasks. You'll find that you're not s sensitive as before, not so defensive and not so rushed and anxious.
You will discover inner joy, inner gladness and inner light. You give up one way of being and grow into another. Meditation is a choice just as being positive is your choice.
An Empowering Video
How to Quiet The Mind
Good coping skills lie in the self-talk and the differing ways of interpreting events over time. It might be useful to recast our various assumptions about the nature of self-talks into four positive statements. These are:
1. Only I can upset myself which I do with my self talk.
2. My self talks are learned so I can learn new ones.
3. Although it may be difficult to change old patterns, with effort and persistence I can change.
4. Ultimately I can regulate the nature, intensity and duration of my emotional responses.
With these assumptions as a foundation we are ready to begin addressing specific patterns of self talk and replacing any dysfunctional and stress-producing thoughts with functional and health-enhancing thoughts.
Points To Remember For Being Positive
As we learn to use some of these techniques for choosing positive thoughts over negative thoughts, we may even run into a miracle now and then. Don't be surprised if this happens to you.
Here are some key points to take with you:
- Living in a state of uninterrupted peace and bliss is your natural state.
- You can learn to free yourself from enslavement of the mind.
- Practice the list of strategies to interrupt any negative self-talk.
- Negative thinking is a habit and can be changed to positive thinking.
- Your perception influences your thoughts and interpretation.
- Use mental imagery, (imagination) to change your perception.
- Focusing on your emotions is your body's reaction to your mind.
- Avoid judging feelings.
- To be positive, be in the moment.
- Quiet your mind, (the chit-chat.)
- Practice meditation each day to quiet your mind and to transform your life.
- Ego is our false self and blocks who we really are. We can only see clearly when we are without ego.
- When you have a choice to be right or be kind, always choose to be kind.
Focus on all that is good. One way to do this is to keep a daily gratitude list. And allow plenty of patience as you practice these new concepts. You will forget from time to time. That is perfectly okay. You will eventually grow to the point where your choice to being positive will move you to Divine Love.
www.psychologytoday.com/ June 28, 2013
The Power Of Now - Eckhart Tolle - Namaste Publishing and New World Library, Novato, Ca.
7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen R. Covey
Manifest Your Destiny - Wayne W. Dyer - Harper Collins Publisher
© 2014 Audrey Hunt
More by this Author
Physical Contact is very important for improving health. Along with a good attitude, nutrition, loving yourself, keeping active and visitng the Doctor is taking time to physically and/or spiritually giving your sweet...
Why compliments make you feel uncomfortable. Is it natural to feel like you're being lied to? What are the rules for accepting a compliment? Can I change how I feel? Absolutely!
I hate my voice! If you're one of the many people who feel this way, you've come to the right place because you're about to learn why you hate your voice and how to fix it.