Top Benefits of Moringa (Drumsticks)
Moringa oleifera Tree - Drumstick tree
Moringa is a small tree, which grows rapidly in all tropical regions, producing leaves and fruits in abundance. It can be seen in the backyards of many houses in India. It is grown abundantly in Africa. Moringa oleifera tree is considered as an ideal food for both obese and malnourished people. It is a powerhouse of nutrients, and a blessing especially to the economically weaker sections of the society.
Importance of Moringa oleifera
Moringa Oleifera leaves and pods contain 90+ nutrients, 46 antioxidants, and 36 anti-inflammatory compounds. Researchers call it the most nutrient rich plant on earth.Moringa contains many minerals and vitamins in various combinations than in any other possible vegetable. India's ancient tradition of Ayurveda says the leaves of the Moringa tree prevent 300 diseases. Since Moringa is anti-toxident, antipyretic, antibiotic, antiparasitic and anti-inflammatory, it is used for many purposes.
Top Health Benefits of Moringa oleifera (Drumstick) Tree
- Boosts immune system
- Reduces arthritis or any other joint pains.
- Increases iron content in the blood and thus reduces anaemia
- Increases breast milk production
- provides nourishment to the eyes and the brain
- Brings down sugar level in diabetes patients.
- Helpful in reducing headache, bringing down blood pressure.
- Helpful in thyroid disorders.
- Useful for healing kidney stones.
- Useful in gum diseases
- Reduces swelling
- Reduces constipation
- Reduces wrinkles on the face
- Useful in treating stomach and intestinal ulcers
- Useful in treating cancer
- Useful in treating viral, bacterial, fungal and parasitic infections.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies.
Nutritional Value of Moringa Tree
- Moisture (%) 86.9, 75.0, 7.5
- Calories 26.0, 92.0, 205.0
- Protein (g) 2.5, 6.7, 27.1
- Fat (g) 0.1, 1.7, 2.3
- Carbohydrate (g) 3.7, 13.4, 38.2
- Fiber (g) 4.8, 0.9, 19.2
- Minerals (g) 2.0, 2.3, -
- Ca (mg) 30.0, 440.0, 2,003.0
- Mg (mg) 24.0, 24.0, 368.0
- P (mg) 110.0, 70.0, 204.0
- K (mg) 259.0 259.0 1,324.0
- Cu (mg) 3.1 1.1 0.6
- Fe (mg) 5.3 7 28.2
- S (mg) 137.0 137.0 870.0
- Oxalic acid (mg) 10.0 101.0 0.0
- Vitamin A - B carotene (mg) 0.1 6.8 16.3
- Vitamin B -choline (mg) 423.0 423.0 -
- Vitamin B1 -thiamin (mg) 0.05 0.21 2.6
- Vitamin B2 -riboflavin (mg) 0.07 0.05 20.5
- Vitamin B3 -nicotinic acid (mg) 0.2 0.8 8.2
- Vitamin C -ascorbic acid (mg) 120 220.0 17.3
- Vitamin E -tocopherol acetate (mg) - - 113.0
- Arginine (g/16g N) 3.6 6.0 0.0
- Histidine (g/16g N) 1.1 2.1 0.0
- Lysine (g/16g N) 1.5 4.3 0.0
- Tryptophan (g/16g N) 0.8 1.9 0.0
- Phenylanaline (g/16g N) 4.3 6.4 0.0
- Methionine (g/16g N) 1.4 2.0 0.0
- Threonine (g/16g N) 3.9 4.9 0.0
- Leucine (g/16g N) 6.5 9.3 0.0
- Isoleucine (g/16g N) 4.4 6.3 0.0
- Valine (g/16g N) 5.4 7.1 0.0
Moringa powder is made from moringa leaves. They are washed and dried, and then milled and packed. According to the researchers, 1-2 tsp. of moringa powder is consumed on a daily basis, takes care of our health.
Other Names of Moringa
In India, Moringa is also known as Drumstick tree (Malayalam), Suragavo (Gujarati), Nuggi mara (Kannada), Murungai (Tamil), Sigru Shobhanjan (Sanskrit) and Munaga (Hindi).
Moringa uses, Drumstick Leaves, Moringa powder, Moringa Recipes
The whole Moringa (Drumstick) tree is useful to Mankind. Drumstick leaves can be made into powder.
Moringa Leaves - The fresh moringa leaves can be used to prepare various delicious recipes, to improve our health. We make a tasty side dish called poriyal with moringa. We also make dal curry with moringa leaves.
Recently, I discovered new recipes for chutneys with moringa leaves, which is tasty and useful for idli and dosa.
Another new recipe I invented was making moringa chapathis, by adding the moringa powder in the chapathi flour. They came out very tasty.
Moringa Flowers - Moringa flowers can be used for the preparation of poriyal or side dish.
Moringa Fruits - The tender fruits called muringa kai is added in sambar, aviyal, poriyal etc.
Moringa seeds - can be used to purify water.
Caution: Moringa flowers can act as an abortifacient, and hence it is to be avoided by women during pregnancy.
Summary - Moringa Tree Benefits
Moringa tree, referred as a miracle tree, is a highly useful tree for mankind having powerful health benefits to heal and prevent several health disorders. Most of the parts of Moringa tree, such as moringa leaves, moringa leaves and flowers, are used for various purposes.
Moringa leaves contain 18 amino acids, eight of which are essential amino acids, for keeping good health, making them a "complete" protein.
100 grams of fresh Moringa tree leaves provide -
- the same amount of Vitamin C as an orange,
- the same amount of protein as an egg,
- as much calcium as a glass of milk and
- as much iron as a steak.
Moringa is available in the forms of powder, capsule and cosmetics.
- Trees for Life Journal - Moringa oleifera: A Review of the Medical Evidence for Its Nutritional, The
- moringa: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
Find patient medical information for moringa on WebMD including its uses, effectiveness, side effects and safety, interactions, user ratings and products that have it.
My Other Health-related Hubs
- Amazing Turmeric Benefits
Find out more about the amazing turmeric benefits and its uses.
- Medicinal Uses of Clitoria ternatea (Shankhpushpi)
Find out the various medicinal uses of Shankhpushpi- . Clitoria ternatea
- Beetroots - Health Benefits of Beetroot
Find out the Top 10 Health Benefits of Beetroot and why you should include it in your list of vegetables.
- Health Benefits of Dates and Uses
Find out the various Health Benefits of Dates and why we should we include them in our diet.
More by this Author
Find out how to prepare jeera (cumin) water for drinking purposes.
Thinking of adding flax seed to your diet? Find out about the various health benefits of flax seeds, and information about how to use them.
Like any other country, India too has got her own beliefs and superstitions.