Benefits of Okra to the Body
Okra is the long green pod with the semblance of a closed umbrella. When cut open, okra emits a slimy gel-like substance which some people like; while others don’t.
Okra, as a vegetable has many health benefits. They’re not only nutritious, they’re quite tasty too.
Health benefits of okra
The benefits of okra come from its abundant vitamins and minerals. This includes:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Several Vitamin-B complex
- Carotene and lutien
- and many, many more.
How do we enjoy the benefits of okra?
- Vitamin A promotes eye health.
- Folate (Vitamin B9) promotes cardiovascular health. It also aids in the development of a child’s brain during the early stages of pregnancy.
- Vitamin C, a form of anti-oxidant as well, promotes stronger immune system, eye health and cardiovascular health.
- Vitamin E is an anti-oxidant, as well as it anti-inflammatory. Lower risk of heart ailments, cancer and eye problems are only some of the benefits of okra
- Calcium is good for our bones and teeth.
- Vitamin K helps us combat cancer cells. It an anti-oxidant, as well similar to the popular Vitamin C. It promotes blood clotting which is necessary to transport nutrients like calcium in our body. That being said, Vitamin K promotes bone health.
- The benefits of okra extend to our over-all health, including our digestive health. While others may hate the slime of this pod, the very property helps us move our bowels easily; thereby, relieving the pains of constipation.
- Like other vegetables, fiber is one of the benefits of okra. Aside from aiding with digestion, fiber helps regulate our blood sugar levels as well.
- Flavonoids are another form of anti-oxidant. They enhance the powers of Vitamin C in the body. They are anti-inflammatory, as well.
- Weight loss or weight maintenance is one of the benefits of okra, too. This vegetable is low on calories. It has zero fat and cholesterol contents. Get the benefits of okra in your weight loss by adding it often in your diet.
Try to grow some okra
Benefits of okra to the tummy
If you need a quick meal or a light snack, okra can be a life-saver.
In a pot of boiling water, drop okra pods (cut in halves) for 3-5 minutes.
Cover the pot to cook faster. When the okra changes to a more vibrant green, they are ready.
Place the half-cooked okra on a small bowl.
Add lime and fish sauce to taste. If you want a spicy dish, add fresh chili, chopped.
Bookmark or share this page if you enjoyed reading the Benefits of Okra.
More by this Author
Know the health benefits of munggo beans here.
Have you heard of the delicious amaranth leaves? Know their health benefits here.
What are the types of red meats? How can we enjoy eating more of them?