Best Toothpaste For Kids

Fluoride Free Toothpowder

Fluoride Free Toothpowder
Fluoride Free Toothpowder

What is the Best Fluoride Free Toothpaste?

Ever since I was a child I always wondered why toothpaste had a warning label on to call Poison Control in the event the paste was swallowed. If a small amount of ingested fluoride could necessitate calling Poison Control, then why is it added in water that you can drink in uncontrolled amounts all your life. Surely, there should be some connection between these two statements about a known poison?

Marketing a kids toothpaste with bubble gum flavoring and then adding enough fluoride to seriously harm or even kill a child if they ate the whole tube just doesn't seem right.


A 1991 report from the Akron (Ohio) Regional Poison Center states, "Death has been reported following ingestion of 16 mg/kg of fluoride." That means that one-hundredth of an ounce of fluoride could kill a 10-pound child and one-tenth of an ounce could kill a 100-pound adult. The report continues, "Fluoride toothpaste contains up to 1 mg/gram [1 milligram per gram] of fluoride." This means that a family-sized tube of toothpaste contains 199 milligrams of fluoride, more than enough to kill a 25-pound child.

A small child will swallow on average between 25 to 33% of the toothpaste they put on their toothbrush. Flavoured toothpaste, such as the bubble gum, or grape, should carry a double health warning. It's just too tempting for a child to lick the brush or swallow extra toothpaste.


Tooth decay can be stopped by adding microbial agents to combat the Streptococcus Mutans and Lactobacillus bacteria, and encouraging good saliva flow to remineralize the enamel. Minerals present in your saliva are then dissolved to produce the mineral ions needed to harden and strengthen the lattice structure of the enamel.

What are some good toothpastes that are fluoride and poison free, encourage remineralization of the enamel, and have strong anti-microbial agents that will help kill off the harmful tooth bacteria Streptococcus mutans and Lactobacillus?

First of all let's look at the common ingredients in most commercial toothpastes.

Fluoride - know poison, used to poison rats, much more toxic than lead. Like lead in minute doses, fluoride accumulates in the body and can be damaging to brain/mind development of children, producing abnormal behavior in animals and reducing IQ in humans. Dental fluorosis is often the first visible sign of fluoride poisoning. Excessive use of fluoride also increases the risk of osteoporosis and can damage the nervous system.


Triclosan - the EPA registers it as a pesticide, giving it high scores as a risk to both human health and the environment. Triclosan is a chlorophenol - a class of chemicals suspected of carcinogenic properties in humans. When exposed to Triclosan it can cause skin irritation and can interfere temporarily with the nerve endings. When consumed, it can be stored in body fat where it can rise to toxicity levels providing a wide range of serious it can accumulate to toxic levels, damaging the liver, kidney and lungs and can cause paralysis, sterility, suppression of immune function, brain hemorrhages, decreased fertility and sexual function, heart problems, and coma. (Debra Lynn Dadd. 1990. Non-Toxic Natural and Earthwise. Jeremy P. Tarcher).
Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is a common foaming soap used in many toothpastes, but more commonly used to scrub garage floors. A study from 1983 published in the Journal of the American College of Toxicology, showed that:

“In absorption, metabolism and excretion studies sodium lauryl sulfate had a degenerative effect on the cell membranes because of its protein denaturing properties. High levels of skin penetration may occur at even low use concentration.”

Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is so harsh has been proven to create microscopic damage to the oral tissue which lines the inside of your mouth, which then leads to canker sores. Other studies show that the chemical is easily absorbed by the skin, and very easily absorbed through the mouth as you brush your teeth. It is found at residual levels stored in major organs such as the brain, liver, lungs and heart.


Glycerin - is a common filler used in toothpastes to provide the paste texture. Unfortunately it coats the tooth with a sticky film - you can feel it after you brush your teeth. This layer is extremely hard to wash off, and helps prevent the remineralization of the enamel through the saliva. It is not however toxic.


Most of the commercial brands of toothpastes also use a sweeting such as sodium saccharin are added for taste. Other flavors are usually strong essential oils such as menthol.


Toothpaste Reviews:

Eco-Dent ToothPowder

Natural Tooth Powder Rating 9/10

Remineralizes teeth naturally and contains no harmful ingredients, dyes or sweeteners. Lasts a long time. Very good value for money. Perfect for travel


Kiss My Face

Natural Anti-Bacterial Toothpaste

The best tasting natural toothpaste in the market by far. Even the kids will love this product. Has powerful but natural anti-bacterial agents blended in a very palatable paste.Does contain glycerin with coats the teeth and may prevent re-minerlization

Tom's of Maine

Fluoride Free

Tastes and feels like a 'normal' toothpaste. Easy switch to a non-fluoride toothpaste. Baking soda leaves the mouth clean and helps to remove stains. Contains Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) /

For full review see here  http://www.smartahealth.com/toothpastes.html


Comments 1 comment

Rakesh Mandal 2 years ago

Thanks for your information. This article is very helpful. I also found a nice page about best kids toothpaste - http://www.squidoo.com/kids-toothpate

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    More by this Author


    Click to Rate This Article
    working