Boxing workout to get in great shape
Are you looking for a great way to workout that will hit your whole body for muscle building and muscle tone, as well as giving you a great cardio workout at the same time? Who isn’t? Boxing training is a great way to do it all. Boxing is great for agility, balance, coordination, and improved reaction time.
If you think about what it takes to be successful at boxing, you will realize that it takes a combination of strength, and stamina just to participate. It takes hour and hours of training if you want to be good at it. What could be a better way of training for just getting in great shape, and you don’t have to hit anyone or get hit to take advantage of the great training benefits.
Burn tons of calories
Boxing training is as good at burning calories as running or moderate to intense cycling. The advantage of boxing training over running or cycling is you will build muscle as well. Mixing HIIT training with muscle building and cardio is by far the best way to get it all, and get the most benefit out of your workout time.
Boxing rounds are a perfect example of HIIT. Periods of high exertion, when you're punching, mixed in with periods of lower level exertion when your trying to set up the punches, with a period of rest between rounds. This type of training puts your body into the anaerobic state, which promotes building strength, speed, and power, while cranking up your metabolism.
A key reason why boxing is much better than other types of cardio comes from the fact that most cardio focuses your movement on the lower body. Cycling and running you are using almost exclusively your lower body. This is not a bad thing, but boxing gives you the lower body workout like running and cycling, while also adding in a lot of upper body work at the same time.
This workout will get you in shape for boxing, or just get you in great shape for life. This workout is made to be done with no equipment at all, so you can do it anywhere and anytime.
- Start the workout with jumping jacks. The old standby is a good cardio exercise with movements that help loosen, stretch and tone muscles. Focus on quick short movements, don’t do big slow jumping jacks, do them fast and intense. Do Jumping jacks for 2 minutes.
- Next stand flat footed and shadow box, twist and weave while punching. This will work on your core as well as your punching speed and stamina. This will be a time of less intense working the core and upper body. Do this for 2 minutes also.
Good video of another boxing training workout
More of the workout
- Next is knee ups with punching. Raise up one leg while bending your knee, bring it up waist high. As you bring your knee up, punch out in front of you with the opposite arm. Lower your leg and repeat with the other leg and other arm. Do this for 2 minutes at as fast a pace as you can while keeping your balance.
- The next exercise is my favorite exercise. Do pushups for 2 minutes. Don’t do them fast, we are not going for a high number of reps, we are working on strength and power. The object of the pushup is to do it controlled and slow. Start in the up position, lower your body down and count to 3 as you go down, then back up at the count of 3 also. If you have to stop and rest, do it in the up position and tighten your core as tight as you can while resting your arms and shoulders.
Workout and get fit
Finish the workout
- The next exercise is my second favorite exercise. Squats. Start in the up position, as you squat down count to 3, when you get to the bottom of the squat, move your arms from a low position, and raise them above your head as you come up. Jump up fast and push off explosively. That is one rep. Repeat reps for 2 minutes.
- Do 2 more minutes of shadow boxing, this time jumping lightly up and down like you would in the ring if you were boxing.
- Finish the workout circuit with another 2 minutes of jumping jacks.
If you have a Gymboss timer, set it for 2.00 and 15. If you don't have one, you can order one above. This will give you your 2 minutes segments for exercise, with a 15 second break between each exercise. This workout will take you just over 15 minutes to complete. When you are ready, add a second time through for added benefit.
This is a great workout that you can do almost anywhere. All you need is a good pair of shoes and enough room to do the moves. Give it a try to let me know what you think.
Here is a quick list you can print and have with you when exercising.
- Jumping jacks
- shadow boxing
- Knee ups
- Jump squats
- shadow boxing
- jumping jacks
More by this Author
There are some special shots that you can use in disc golf to get you out of trouble and lower your score. Making the most of tough situations is the place for these shots.
Here is a program to improve your disc golf game by working out the muscles that will help you play better. Strengthening the most used muscles will give you control and lower your scores.
What does freedom mean in America and what do we need to do to make sure we don't loose it? We are going to lose America if we don't change the path we are on.